Seller's advice needed for chargeback on delivered item

Hi all - I've got a dilemma I would like to seek some advice on.

I've been selling on eBay on and off for probably close to 10 years and have never had an issue until now. Long story short, I sold an item, was paid via Paypal and shipped said item in July of this year. I provided the tracking number to the buyer and noticed that the tracking was simply not moving (it was over two weeks) and I presumed it had been lost in transit somewhere. I contacted my shipping provider and was told that it had already been handed to the local post office for processing. I relayed this information to the buyer and always provided them with timely updates.

Weeks go by with no updates and understandably, the buyer gets upset with me, files a non receipt of package with eBay and I filed an insurance claim through my shipping provider.

My shipper wanted a signed affidavit from the buyer stating that the item was still not received (a month had passed). I asked the buyer for their email so I could provide them with a link to the affidavit. They refused to sign anything or provide me with an appropriate contact email. They went through eBay and requested a refund, which eBay granted (because the tracking had not updated at all). The monies were charged to my credit card on file with eBay.

Almost a month later, I was checking tracking numbers and saw that the package was finally accepted into the postal system and was on their way to the buyer (two months after I had shipped it). At this point I had already filed a review with Paypal and because my 30 day window to dispute the chargeback had passed, they are unwilling to budge and suggested that I contact Paypal to obtain an email address for the buyer and send them an invoice.

This obviously won't work since the seller has refused to help or deal in any sort of way from the get-go. I find it absurd that eBay basically has no seller protections in place what so ever and always sides with buyers no matter what the case may be.

My question is - do I have any other recourse in this regard? What are my options? I feel completely ripped off as now the buyer has both their money back and I am essentially out a $200 item as well. I realize that others have likely been through a similar situation before and I am look for some guidance on what I can do.

Thanks for reading and any advice you are able to afford me.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I’m curious who the insurance was with...Canada Post?  I’m surprised that they wouldn’t pay out the insurance since the tracking didn’t show delivery.  
Of course I don’t understand either why the buyer was unwilling to confirm in writing that they hadn’t received the package. 

Just to confirm....you were using the term chargeback but did the buyer file a claim directly through eBay or PayPal or dud they go directly through their credit card company.  If the claim was through eBay or PP it is an automatic loss if there Is no delivery confirmation at the time of the claim.  Unfortunately, once the buyer is refunded there is no way for ebay or PP to recover the money from the buyer.  

Basically the only time that the seller is protected when there is no delivery confirmation is if the buyer goes to their credit card and opens an unauthorized transaction claim.  In that situation, PP will not require the seller to refund as long as they have proof the the item was shipped to the correct address....delivery confirmation is not needed.  That’s basically the only time that PP will Cover us even if the credit card rules in favour of the buyer.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for your detailed response.

I used a private shipping provider (ChitChats) who has agreements with Canada Post, UPS, FedEx etc to deliver the package. The package is insured using U-Pic (purchased through ChitChats). U-Pic doesn't pay out unless an affidavit, signed by the buyer, indicating they are not in receipt of the package, is sent to them.

I presume the buyer was under the assumption that as a seller, I wasn't trustworthy enough to refund their payment after they signed said affidavit. I explicitly told the buyer that I would issue the refund if she simply filled out the form and returned it to my insurance provider as per their request.

The buyer in this case filed a claim via eBay and because the tracking number did not show "in transit" or "en route" - eBay sided with the buyer and refunded their money in full. I obviously was stuck and could not provide any evidence that it was in the postal system somewhere.

It sounds like I am out of luck and nothing that can be done for me unfortunately. What's most disappoint is that even after I disputed eBay refunding the money to the buyer, literally within days, the tracking number updated and a few days after that, the package was delivered to the buyer.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

A side note: This really goes to show you that ChitChats "insurance" is virtually useless. Having to sign an affidavit for an undelivered package is ridiculous! Honestly, if I were a buyer I would be reluctant to do that. I've never heard of such a thing. Tracking should be proof enough!

I had 2 packages go missing with ChitChats early this year. They were going from BC to ON. An entire skid went missing in the Mississauga DC. Super, super shady. They blamed it on Canada Post, but for some reason CP wouldn't settle their claim (hmmm?) so I had to wait for over two months to get any resolution. I was told if I purchased insurance, I would've got a refund much sooner - instead I had to wait longer, and got a credit on my ChitChats account. But now that I hear your story, it seems like the credit was simpler- no buyer interaction. Maybe because your item was higher priced the affidavit was required, and may not have been for mine, but either way, makes you think twice about the "insurance".

Because of that experience, and because my Canadian packages were taking FOREVER to get from BC to ON, I no longer use ChitChats for Canadian shipping. Only for the US, and only for items under $50.

Ultimately, your situation is a common one I've seen lately that has to do with timing. If a package isn't received within a month, it's reasonable the buyer is entitled to a refund. But if the item is eventually delivered, and there's delivery proof, that refund should be reversed!!! I'd be fighting this one till the bitter end!
Message 4 of 4
latest reply