Selling a motorcycle at a different location than my residence

drek5316
Community Member

I listed a motorcycle for sale that is located in the US but I am myself located in Canada.

When I listed the motorcycle eBay listing form allowed me only "payment on pick up". That is obviously a problem since I will not be there to accept the payment or release the motorcycle.

How do I deal with that? Any suggestions? Thank you 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Well, the bike isn't parked at the side of the road, is it?

Someone is at the address where it is being kept. right?

Is that person trustworthy enough to keep your bike, but not trustworthy enough to take a payment and hand over the bike?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you responding.

Nope. I trust the fella but it is an imposition on him and as he was not keen on being involved in the financial transaction I am trying to figure out how to not involve him.

The other side is the adminitrative portion. How does eBay know that the transaction was completed?

What if the buyer backs out? I can see a potential for a few messy scenarios.

I saw on eBay motorcycle being sold by European seller but the motorcycle was being picked up in New York... I wonder how that was done.....

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@drek5316 wrote:

I listed a motorcycle for sale that is located in the US but I am myself located in Canada.

When I listed the motorcycle eBay listing form allowed me only "payment on pick up". That is obviously a problem since I will not be there to accept the payment or release the motorcycle.

How do I deal with that? Any suggestions? Thank you 

Payments for vehicles don't work the same as regular eBay. You can set whatever terms you want within the listing description and eBay does not handle the money at all.

Normally buyers of vehicles will at best pay a deposit up front and payment on pick-up (in person or through a shipping agent) and at the same time exchange the documentation required since vehicles are registered by States/Provinces.

FYI - There is something weird with that listings, on the listing page I see the Title as "Legendary CZ 250 / 980 project bike" but in Search I see "Other Makes" (but I did find it by searching "CZ 250")

recped_1-1662430828812.png

recped_0-1662430771525.png

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@drek5316 wrote:

Thank you responding.

Nope. I trust the fella but it is an imposition on him and as he was not keen on being involved in the financial transaction I am trying to figure out how to not involve him.

The other side is the adminitrative portion. How does eBay know that the transaction was completed?

What if the buyer backs out? I can see a potential for a few messy scenarios.

I saw on eBay motorcycle being sold by European seller but the motorcycle was being picked up in New York... I wonder how that was done.....

As a side note when pick up is used, eBay charges fees on the transaction immediately. If there were "issues" with the pick up, there would be problems if payment does not go perfectly. Even more so if you don't have a balance in pay outs. I've had this happen in the past where there was a delay with customer so fees were pulled from bank balance vs pending.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 5
latest reply