Selling coins from Canada - Canada post

Took a couple of letters to Canada post today with a coin in each and was refused, she would not take the letters. We had this issue a few years ago when they were striking, but l thought that was cleared up afterwards. Anyway, the postal clerk said the USA are clamping down with any thing metal in the envelop. But, with a small parcel sticker on it, $35 bucks each please, they can go that way. Now l usually charge between 2 and 3 bucks each for my coins and buyers simply dont want to pay for mail charges, even though l charge about 2.20 to 2.40 per letter. Anyway, anyone else refused when trying to mail a coin lately? btw, l just mailed them from a post box outside, so probably best not to confront some postal clerk in the first place who incidentally felt around my letters as if looking for something.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I'm worried this may become the eventual new normal. Either not accepting anything not paper in nature, it not arriving as per suggested guidelines or magically disappearing enroute. I've had a few recent letter packages going locally take a lot longer to arrive. One in Calgary is at a week without  being delivered. Edmonton was 6 days. We shall see. We all know Canadian sellers cannot mail low value items of small size with package rates. It just doesn't work.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Yes, I had this issue a while back. Officially the US does restrict items travelling by letter mail that are not letters. Now, chances of your item being inspected or pulled is rare, but postal clerks are trained now to question letters that seem a bit "bulgy" that are going to the US.

Of course, another option for you is ChitChats or another similar service, where you can use USPS services and have rates  that are competitive to what Canada Post offers.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

"probably best not to confront some postal clerk in the first place"

Yep, you're right. I had the same experience... once... several years ago.

Only paper in lettermail to the U.S., unless you pay light packet, small packet, whatever it's called this year.

For the past 5 years, I've packed them well and mail them lettermail with a stamp or two.

I do get concerned with larger 'check me out' orders in oversized envelopes, but so far never an issue whatsoever.

And I probably just jinxed myself.

IMO, get yourself a cheap scale from Amazon, the attached Canada Post lettermail chart, then pack/hide the coin(s) a little better, and drop 'em in the mail box.

If there's an issue, odds are it'll be returned with a request for more postage sticker.

Otherwise, increase your S&H charge to compensate for the cost to ship the coin(s) south the appropriate way.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

and was refused, she would not take the letters.

Print your shipping label at home or buy some reallynicestamps at a discount on eBay and when you go to the PO, drop the envelopes into the red letterbox outside.

EASY.png

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Canada Post has had that rule for several years for international mail but in the last year or so, the US and other countries have clamped down on 'goods' being sent out as lettermail due to a universal postal union rule.  But as far as I know, this only seems to be enforced when the item is brought to the counter at the post office/outlet.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply