Need for authorized users for sole proprietorships like mine....

The 2nd ebay account reminded me about this and it has been some time since it was discussed so I'm starting a new thread for it.

I'm a one man shop, sole proprietorship, only ebay conversant person in the household.

I realized that if (another*) near death experience happens to me, someone needs to put my store on hidden vacation or shut down my ebay account temporarily or permanently. At that time, I assumed my wife could just do it by calling in, because she knows nothing about eBay. That was not the case.

For someone to have the authority to put the store on vacation or shut your account they have to be an authorized user. (unless they are conversant in eBay and know your password of course).

So I called in and had her set as an authorized user. She's got the magic number to call if something befalls me.

Thought it was worth repeating this for anyone who hasn't heard it before.....

*Experienced about 4 NDE's in 2003 as a result of an extremely serious car accident

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Good call out @ricarmic!

It never hurts to have someone added as an Authorized User (though as we start to get more of the 'Multi-User-Account-Access' features rolled out that may be less necessary). 

Hoping that it won't be necessary anytime soon, but it may also be helpful to have a set of written instructions too - a checklist of sorts of 'what do I do if?' scenarios. 

Having been that 'go-to' person in the past things can get very foggy and unclear. A list of to-dos would have been a godsend. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

In my case the only workable solution is the ebay phone number and that the store needs to be "put on hidden vacation" or "closed" depending on the severity of the situation. This way she can have a conversation with the folks to tell them what is happening and I'm sure they'll be able to settle on the right solution.

Hopefully she'll know where the piece of paper is if the time comes!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

(unless they are conversant in eBay and know your password of course).

Walking her through the process, and writing down the steps, would also be possible.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Yes we tried that before I went the route of the just call the 1-800 number. 

It was not going to work.

(Plus I realized that I'd have to continually check to make sure there wasn't the smallest difference in the screens, or tabs, or checks one had to make because she would have been exactly following whatever was written).

When I called the CSRs to have her authorized based on my discussion with them it would be very easy for her to execute whatever needed to be done with their help. (plus theoretically she would be stressed with whatever had disabled me).

Anyway I put it out there as the option that works best for me in my situation, everyone's is different so certainly the step by step might work for some too!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply