Selling

tu-ee
Community Member

As I am no longer a business seller due to ill health and aging problems 'Memory etc' , all my listings go into the 'collectables' category.. I have compared the 'Collectables' listing sales with the 'All Categories' Listings sales and it is obvious the 'All Categories' Listings get the most sales...How can I get my listings into 'All Categories' ? I do have a lot Antiques and very good porcelain and such items I want to sell which I know would do much better in 'All Categories' is there a way I can get into that  most sales...How can I get my listings into 'All Categories' ? please help Wood carving antiqueWood carving antiquechinese carving on stonechinese carving on stoneantique Japanese wood jarantique Japanese wood jarGerman bisqueGerman bisqueGerman bisque etcGerman bisque etc30th May 2019 Moss Ware 001.JPG02 FEB 19 004.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Selling

All categories isn't a category.

It's what shows as the default when the buyer doesn't specify a category.

For example, I just Search "firefly zoe" and got 222 listings, about half of them for stuff that met the Search terms but of no interest to me.

Then I went to the category Collectibles and got only 69 listings, but most did match my wants, although again all met the Search terms.

If I added the term "serenity" to the Search, the listings dropped to 35 all of them matching what I was looking for.

Interestingly, the actual items seemed to change in each Search.

I believe that every time a member does a Search without opening any listings or actually buying anything, the Search program removes some of the "rejected" listings and shows others from the 125million possible listings available at any given time.

To test that, I used "firefly zoe serenity" in All Categories and this time I got only 33 listings, and many of them were pictures of Gina Torres, not even in her role as Zoe.

Umm-- It's a cult TV show that lasted all of 13 episodes in 2002.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

All categories isn't a category.

It's what shows as the default when the buyer doesn't specify a category.

For example, I just Search "firefly zoe" and got 222 listings, about half of them for stuff that met the Search terms but of no interest to me.

Then I went to the category Collectibles and got only 69 listings, but most did match my wants, although again all met the Search terms.

If I added the term "serenity" to the Search, the listings dropped to 35 all of them matching what I was looking for.

Interestingly, the actual items seemed to change in each Search.

I believe that every time a member does a Search without opening any listings or actually buying anything, the Search program removes some of the "rejected" listings and shows others from the 125million possible listings available at any given time.

To test that, I used "firefly zoe serenity" in All Categories and this time I got only 33 listings, and many of them were pictures of Gina Torres, not even in her role as Zoe.

Umm-- It's a cult TV show that lasted all of 13 episodes in 2002.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

As femme mentioned "All Categories" is not a category. I will suggest the few items you have shown us are works of art, I do not think they should be listed anywhere within the Collectibles categories.

I suggest that you consider listing carved items like in your first two photos under ... Art ~ Carving ~ (Choose an appropriate material like Stone or Wood).

Fine Porcelain or ceramic figures would best fit under ... Antique ~ Decorative Arts ~ Ceramics and Porcelain ~ Figures

One method of finding an appropriate category for a specific item would be to do the following.

• Choose the best 2 words you can think of that best describe the item
  • Enter those 2 words in the search box at the top of any page, check to make sure the search is set for "All Categories". Run the search.
  • Look carefully among the list of items presented. Scroll down the list until you find an item or items similiar to the item you described, click on it to open that listing's page.
  • Look at the very top of the page, there you will see in quite a small font the category in which the item is listed. 
  • Browse threw a variety of listings similiar to what you have to sell always checking at the top of the page to note what category sellers are most often placing their items in.
  • Once you have an idea where to look you can just use the category filters on the left side of any search results page to find similiar items to your own. List your items where others are most often listing them, 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You need to choose one category out of All, you can add second category, but you will be charged for  additional service.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

thanks very much never thought of it that way
Pat
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Great Idea I will have to get my thinking cap on for some really good and fancy names. and take some info from the other sellers,
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Great Idea I will have to get my thinking cap on for some really good and fancy names. and take some info from the other sellers,

Message 7 of 7
latest reply