Sending Offers

Posting this as a head's up for anyone that uses random best offers. I've heard this reported in the past and believe I've had it happen to me a few times over the course of time but have never been able to properly document.

I sent an offer to random buyer earlier today. Buyer accepted a few minutes later. When they received the automatic invoice they said the reason they purchased was it stated "Free Shipping". I replied that shipping is always as per the original listing. I never offer free shipping. Too many variables. It clearly shows that when I send an offer.

I asked the buyer to add an item to their watch list so we could try a test so they could screen shot it. At my end it clearly states the offered amount plus Calculated Shipping. At their end it shows Free shipping . (Verified with a screen shot below.) The shopper was shopping on a tablet using chrome. I'm on a pc using Firefox. Is this what is causing the nuisance of Non-Paying buyers? Customer offer free shipping.JPG

-Lotz

PS. As a side note I've had buyers(2) in the past that have found my listings through a google search on Kijiji.  They were in Toronto and wanting to arrange PU because their search made it available as an option. Both times shopping on a smartphone.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Sending Offers

Isn't that lovely.  Must be a glitch with mobile. 

Wonder if tyler@ebay has encountered this.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Sending Offers

Thanks for the heads-up. What happens after the buyer pays an invoice with a $0.00 shipping line?
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Sending Offers

It sounds like the conflict happens when the buyer receives the invoice with the applicable shipping amount. Then it's up to them whether or not to pay. Not sure any buyers received invoices with 0.00 shipping. That would be definitely concerning.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Sending Offers

It would probably be helpful to Tyler to know what country the buyer was located in.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Sending Offers

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It would probably be helpful to Tyler to know what country the buyer was located in.

tyler@ebay 

This particular buyer happened to also be in Canada. When sending random offers to buyers a seller never knows where the potential precipitants are.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Sending Offers

No idea where "precipitants" came from. It should read participants.
-Lotz
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Sending Offers

I realize that you wouldn't know where buyers are located when you send the offer but if buyers are seeing some sort of glitch it could be helpful for ebay to know whether it is a domestic buyer seeing this or if they are from another country. The problem may not be for all buyers, just for domestic or vice versa.  

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Sending Offers

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I realize that you wouldn't know where buyers are located when you send the offer but if buyers are seeing some sort of glitch it could be helpful for ebay to know whether it is a domestic buyer seeing this or if they are from another country. The problem may not be for all buyers, just for domestic or vice versa.  

You only hear about these sorts of things when a buyer complains by messaging you. What's disheartening about this is that it even exists as a problem. Question 2....How long has this been going on?

-Lotz

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Sending Offers

yeah you can come pick it up....its gonna cost you around $400 return airfare plus car rental and hotel if you can't get a same day return flight and probably a quarantine period, but if you're game so am I.

Waiting to hear ebays answer on this...this is a pretty big deal. Its a deal breaker and frustrates both seller and customer.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Sending Offers

@darak10 wrote:
yeah you can come pick it up....its gonna cost you around $400 return airfare plus car rental and hotel if you can't get a same day return flight and probably a quarantine period, but if you're game so am I.

Waiting to hear ebays answer on this...this is a pretty big deal. Its a deal breaker and frustrates both seller and customer.

As a heads up, going through the archives apparently this problem has been going on for awhile.  Found a domestic customer that reported seeing free shipping August 21, 2020. (At the time I thought it was a 1 of.) I've also had it happen with International customers. (UK and Italy). Not sure about the USA. You really only find out if a customer mentions it with an extremely irritated email. Shipping was provided for those countries(In the listing) but shipping showed as free when they received the offer using the App. It is definitely a problem when it is not as described because of an eBay issue causing pending fees until the transaction is either cancelled or time limit expires.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 11
latest reply