Sending offers to watchers.

I posted the question below in the weekly session, but it was ignored and not answered.  So I'm posting it here because I would like an answer.  If anyone has info it would be appreciated, Thanks!

"Just wondering if we in Canada will ever be able to send offers to watchers? They can on Ebay.UK and Ebay.COM. Still waiting here."
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Good question.

I don't have an answer for you but below is my experience with the process.

Ebay has been sending me messages suggesting that I drop my price and they will send shoppers who have my item in their carts a notice that I've dropped my price.

So that's kind of a version of what you're asking about.

I wanted to see how that works so, using a different id, I put one of my items into my cart.

Then I put the item on sale, but I didn't receive any notice that the price had been dropped.

It also involved putting the item on sale and that option only seems to be available to store owners.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

April 2019, according to the early seller update.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for the link. Somehow I missed seeing that. Looks like it should be here in a few weeks. Thanks again!
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @forester_studios - sorry that I didn't reply in chat - I had sent an email for clarification to see if I could get more specifics on when this was going to roll out and have been waiting to hear back. I completely forgot to let you know. Smiley Embarassed

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for responding now Tyler. When you get a definite date as to availability on .CA could you let us know? I imagine a lot of sellers are waiting for the roll out.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Well I had 24 items with watchers end tonight. Not one sale. Does ebay really think we'll get sales to people who aren't really interested in buying? I think most were likely other sellers wanting to see if it was worth listings similar items. Would making an offer have generated a sale? Your guess is as good as mine.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

There are 2 kinds of watchers those who are interested in buying and those who are interested to see what/if it sells (ie other sellers).

My only observation for watchers is that the larger the group of watchers, the larger the chance it sells. Generally in my (stamp) world, if the watcher count goes above 5 for an auction, it is much more likely to sell.

Personally I don't have any plans to use this at this time, but one never knows what a future experiment will include!
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

It might be possible to determine the kind of watcher they are by information that we will have available to us BEFORE we make an offer. Such as a Watchers location. Do you really want to sell to someone in Burundi? Feedback: Purchases and feedback left/received. Do they buy to resell? Do they only buy using Best Offer? All interesting questions that would be nice to have answered before making any sort of offer. Will that be available to us? Probably not!!

-Lotz

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I see many Buyers opting out of this "Offer from the Seller" ploy. I mean think about it, would you want to be bombarded with offers for all the items you are watching.........?

I know I will be opting out as a Buyer (Buyers will be able to opt out).

As a Seller I will use it until it fades away as another useless ebay "gimmick" or just gets canned for lack of use....

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Why would a seller want to advertise that his/her price is no good and would take something lower?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I watch a lot of items but mostly to see what they sell for as I may have something similar to sell.  Some items I may be interested in buying. I don't think I would appreciate getting offers for all the items I am watching.  I am already annoyed at all the messages coming from eBay when I have just glanced at an item & I am not even watching it.  I am not sure if the seller will see who the watcher is but I like to remain anonymous to the seller.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

The Seller can see who the actual watchers are...

....they can then SpAM them with an "Offer" or two  or three ...

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

Why would a seller want to advertise that his/her price is no good and would take something lower?

Simple:

Because it is better than advertising that your price is "no good" and that you won't take something lower.

"Best Offer" is a powerful tool, especially if you have a few thousand listings...

1) It allows the seller to identify bottom feeders and act accordingly

2) Flexibility in pricing gives a competitive edge

3) It entices multiple purchases per transaction

4) It reveals what buyers are willing to pay for your item

5) A buyer's time spent hemming and hawing on your item is time taken away from your competitors

6) Buyers like to haggle and feel good when they succeed

7) It moves your stock faster

Maybe it doesn't work with pricey antique radios, but it sure the heck helps sell common postcards where the competition is alive and well.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

The Seller can see who the actual watchers are...

....they can then SpAM them with an "Offer" or two  or three ...

No, they won't be able to see who the watchers are or who the offers went out to.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply