Ship with signature conformation to the US?

How do I get that? UPS Or Canada post wont let me add signature conformation....

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I "think" you get that with Expresspost, but, that is scary expensive.

Why do you want signature?
Photobucket
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Aren't you suppose to if your product is over 300$? iv been selling some high priced items 3-500$. I heard its a requirement?

Also yeh Express post is too expensive. And it still tells me no signature option...

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

No, it is not a requirement. It is needed in the event of a dispute, and even then, I have won w/o signature, the one time it came up.

There has been considerable discussion about where that line is. I saw one posted ebay figure of $750.

I do not use tracking. I do not use DC. I do not use signature. It is all a waste of money. I only use Expedited and only when the parcel is over 1 kilo and I have to.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Hi! I believe it is telling you it is not an option because it is already included in the price, you do not have to pay extra (on top of the already high price) for the signature with Expresspost shipping to the USA.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

That is what I thought.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Canadian sellers

Signature confirmation required.

Over $325 Canadian dollars with Paypal

The level varies among countries 

Over $750  with eBay......  The eBay amount was adjusted some time this past year... something seen on eBay.com

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

No, it is not required.

It is only needed in the event of a dispute. It is not a requirement of shipping.
Photobucket
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Signature confirmation is included with Canada Post xpresspost USA and can be purchased  with expedited parcel and Xpresppost within Canada.  I'm not sure about with other countries but I have heard that even if you pay extra for it, some international companies will still not show a signature. I'm sure that Fed Ex has signature confirmation but that can be expensive too and can cost your buyer extra brokerage fees.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

FedEx dropped a $5,000 item on my front porch without even ringing the door bell.  Shipper requested and paid for signature confirmation.  FedEx claimed that I have signed a form waiving signature requirement.  That was a lie and I demanded a copy of such agreement.  Of course they couldn't produce it, and more or less just shrugged away the whole thing.  

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

That story scares me

But yeh I'm using expedited to USA shipping. If signature conformation is included there goes my worry

On another topic why does anyone use UPS? Its so expensive

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@fmunshi221170 wrote:

That story scares me

But yeh I'm using expedited to USA shipping. If signature conformation is included there goes my worry

UPS breaks things - and they will only let you insure it if they pack it, of course you have to pay them to pack it.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:
No, it is not required.

It is only needed in the event of a dispute. It is not a requirement of shipping.

I agree.

I ship everything Expedited Post because my items are large and heavy.  The average price of my items for shipping is just over $30.00 - I do not use Express Post  because it pushes that price upwell over $60.00 and that makes it hard to compete with US sellers.

When I get an expensive item to sell, I insure it. If a buyer ever claim he/she did not receive a package - what do I care regarding a dispute - it is insured againse loss and I will just refund and get my money back from Canada Post.

What is the buyer going to do when Canada Post phones him and wants to confirm that it was not received - tell them he received it. I think not.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Mailed a parcel to Calgary that was delivered to a community mailbox..

A key to the parcel box  should have been left in the buyer mail slot.

Buyer never got the parcel..

Canada Post paid insurance.

It was an expensive...$195.00 ... and rare book.

It was Expedited Parcel ... should have added a signature confirmation....  and buyer would have picked up and signed for the parcel without question.

Considering that Canada Post is going with community mailboxes in all cities....  the potential for a lost parcel might go up....  and that is when a signature confirmation forces  a situation where a buyer must pick up and sign for a parcel.

As far as I am concerned....  for expensive items... ... and in many instances rare items... shipping within Canada,  to a community mailbox, should require signature confirmation.

Also ...  Two relatively rare books... 

Shipped two books.. to two buyers.... Books were limited to 1000 copies each, signed by the author  with slipcase...Like new.... priced at $195 each....  shipped to US... Xpresspost... with signature confirmation.... Buyers were super happy....  

Very unique situation  ... both books were listed on eBay on Thursday... first sold on Saturday  and the second sold on Tuesday.....  both sold within a week...  both were Xpresspost  with signature confirmation to the US.....

Signature confirmation does guarantee delivery directly to the buyer..... Saves on buyer anguish if  the book does not arrive... when there is no signature confirmation...

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Signature Confirmation has its place....

and

of course it must be used wisely and appropriately

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

It might be something that is a hangover from the US experience. UPS delivers pretty well anywhere in the USA.  The rates are competitive with the Post Office and the price includes signature confirmation.

By the way, the heavy use of UPS and other couriers by US sellers is the reason why many US sellers will not accept PO Box addresses. Couriers cannot deliver to them because the postal staff cannot and will not sign.

On larger items UPS can be competitive with Canada Post, but they really only deliver to larger communities. In rural and isolated areas, UPS sub-contracts deliveries. To Canada Post.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@fmunshi221170 wrote:

That story scares me

No....I think that you misunderstood my post. I said that you can purchase signature confirmation on expedited and xpresspost within Canada.
Xpresspost USA includes signature confirmation and is the only CP service to the U.S. that does have a signature.
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Cumos, you are just as likely to have a misdelivered parcel when you have door to door service as you are when you have a community mailbox. We've had the community mailboxes for over 10 years and have never had an item missing.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

My Calgary situation had more to do with the rarity of the book.... and buyer's anguish when the book was lost.

Rarity  is my primary concern with respect to use of signature confirmation....

and ... 

if it is within Canada....  there are situations where I will use signature confirmation... Just for Peace of Mind...

The reality is that it should be better with a parcel left at a community mailbox  that in a mailbox or on the porch  at the delivery address.

If done "right" community mailboxes should be a safe option

Safer with lettermail because it is in a locked box....  Safer with parcels  because the parcel is also in a locked box....

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

should be better with a parcel left at a community mailbox  that in a mailbox 

should be better with a parcel left at a community mailbox  than in a mailbox 

Message 20 of 21
latest reply