Shipping Cost Not Doubling On Multiple Purchases

I have an item listed with shipping dimensions of 18" x 12" x 12" with a weight of 4 lbs, 8 oz.

Someone bought two of these items and only had to pay the shipping cost of sending one. Why did this happen? While I can combine most of the items I sell, this one I most definitely can't. Now I have the displeasure of having to notify the buyer that they are actually paying double the shipping price.

If there's an option for allowing combined shipping or not for the item while creating the listing, I certainly can't find it. But I may be blind. Can someone help me out with this?       

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Shipping Cost Not Doubling On Multiple Purchases

Just checked my preferences as well and combined shipping is disabled. That doesn't make me any happier.

Shippingissue.jpg

It gave a discount. Why did it give a discount?

Here are my shipping settings for the combined shipping option in the preferences:

shippingpreferences.jpg

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I think (and I stress the think part).....

It has something to do with it being a multi-quantity listing instead of multiple individual listings. Also I think  Dimension Weight is coming into play because when I check that listing it quotes me the same price for 1, 2 or 3 units but then starts to go up on each one after that.

I suspect the calculator is making an assumption that the additional items will ship together with the first in a box that weighs twice as much but is not twice the size.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

So you're saying that because I have one listing that started with 27 items available, rather than 27 individual listings, it assumes I can combine them for the first few?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@surpluspartsgalore wrote:

So you're saying that because I have one listing that started with 27 items available, rather than 27 individual listings, it assumes I can combine them for the first few?

Sort of.....

I'm actually thinking that for one item you are paying Canada Post the shipping rate for about 15lbs because of Volumetric Weight charges, if you double the weight within the same package size the postage doesn't change, triple the weight and it still doesn't change. It's only when the package is 4 times the weight (but the same original size) that the postage starts to increase because Volumetric Weight no longer applies.

The calculator is simply not understanding that you have to ship each item on it's own or double the size of the package to ship them together.

I really have no experience with the calculator so I can't tell you why it's doing this or how you can set it up to not do this (other than making single quantity listings). There are longstanding issues with the calculator, for single items the problems are usually user error but combining is fraught with problems for many sellers while some seem to be able to make it work. I think it's just that there are simply too many variations amongst sellers in the way they want to handle combining, it becomes difficult to produce software that can deal with all the different approaches.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Not sure if this will work or even possible but on multiple items for the same listing, I think it is available.

Edit your item and where you have quantity does it have a space for shipping for each additional item for that 1 product? Should be on the right side.

If it does fill in the same amount as for the first and it should fix your issue. In other words each item will cost the same to ship and if more than 1 is purchased, it should multiply it by the number bought.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I could have sworn I saw this option in the past where it asked me what to do in the case that more than one item was purchased but for the life of me I can't find that option now when I try to revise the listing. If someone could point it out that would be great.

Thanks for the responses by the way guys. I appreciate it.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

You will see that option with flat rate shipping, not combined.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Only other option would be to figure out your shipping to the farthest place in Canada, input as flat rate, then you can use additional for each item of the same amount.

Do the same for the US and again for international.

It is extra work but at least you are not going to eat large shipping charges

Message 9 of 9
latest reply