Shipping cost - SOS

Dear Sellers, 

I'm new in ebay and i will start selling some candies. However i'm stuck with the shipping prices of Canada post.

The majority of my products are low value ( between 3 & 6 $) .... i thought that i can send small bags/boxes inside a letter but i have noticed recently that Post Canada doesn't accept more than 2 cm thick 

My products are between 100 and 200 g with the following dimension : 

23 x 15 x 4 cm

Any advises ?

thank you 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Shipping cost - SOS

We all work with the Canada Post rates. They are what they are.

Almost.

Sign up, if you haven't already, for a Small Business Solutions card at Canada Post.

You can do it online or the next time you are in the PO. It's free and gives you an automatic 5% discount on some parcel services.

Those discounts can also be used on Paypal, Shippo and SnapShip (Canada Post).

Bookmark this;

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

it will be useful.

When you set Calculated Shipping, your buyer sees the rate from the website, not what you actually pay.

From time to time we get even better discounts, so watch the Seller Board.

If you are near the US border, you may be able to use a freight forwarder like chitchatexpress or redstallion.

For a small fee, these companies take your prepared packages across the border and ship them via USPS which has much lower rates.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Shipping cost - SOS

Thank you , how it comes that some Canadian Ebay sellers; sell their products for 4 $ and charge only 2.99 $ for shipping ? 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Shipping cost - SOS

because the items are less than 2 cm. thick, you can send as oversized mail, for 2.95. under 100 grams..

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Shipping cost - SOS

Before listing on eBay, it is very important to research the economics of it. Know before you list what it is going to cost to ship your items.(cost of the product, time & effort, packaging, eBay fees,etc.) Not everything is economically  feasible to sell when shipping is involved. Some things are best suited for local markets. Not all products are good candidates for selling on eBay.

Calculate ALL the fees and costs to find out if eBay is the right choice for your products.

To calculate the shipping costs for your products you will need to pre-package a sampling of the products you intend to list and calculate the shipping costs.  A digital scale, measuring tape and Canada Post website are your friends when it comes to calculating shipping costs.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Shipping cost - SOS

Have you considered selling your items in larger quantities/combinations?  Customers may be more acceptable to paying slightly higher amounts for postage if their item total is a bit higher. Then you could use the shipping calculator and customer would be able to check postage and decide if it was in reason prior to purchasing. Just a thought!

-CM

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Shipping cost - SOS

@jackatou2012 wrote:

Thank you , how it comes that some Canadian Ebay sellers; sell their products for 4 $ and charge only 2.99 $ for shipping ? 

They could actually be international sellers with different rates available to them with their country's postal rates. 

I can send myself a box of 120g candies from Japan with small packet SAL with ~$3.25 shipping (280 yen), but to send that same box of candies from where I'm to Ontario would probably cost $10 shipping, or I could send that same box to anywhere in the US for $8.78.

Here is a link to a handy table I made back in January. Bottom line is, if you want to mail something cheap domestically with lettermail rates, you have to make sure they are under 2cm in thickness, INCLUDING your packaging/envelope. 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/2018-over-the-counter-Canada-Post-rates-chart-under-2kg/...

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Shipping cost - SOS

Aside from using a mail forward service, you could explore the option of changing your packaging to be more "Canada Post Friendly" for letter rates. Are the candies themselves thickness wise below the letter rate size? Because you could have the candies in a small plastic bag laid flat in a large manila envelope to take advantage of postal rates for letters.

At the same time you could have a separate auction with all the original packaging ideal for gifts etc., and those have parcel rates. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Shipping cost - SOS

@jackatou2012

some Canadian Ebay sellers; sell their products for 4 $ and charge only 2.99 $ for shipping ? 

Which is cheaper?

A $4 item with $2.99 shipping?

A $2.99 item with $4 shipping?

A $6.99 item with Free Shipping?

When you use Flat Rate Shipping you can put any amount in for the shipping fee.

It doesn't have to match your costs.

Most of my items are priced at $9.99USD with Free Shipping.

To both Canada and the USA.

My actual cost of shipping will be anywhere from 85c to $5.15 Cdn.

But that is included in the asking price.

If you are listing on dotCA (here) you have a choice of using Flat Rate, which can include Free Shipping or Calculated Shipping.

If your item is too bulky or too heavy to go Letter or Oversize Letter you list on dotCA and use Calculated Shipping.

But for items less than 2cm/500gr, you could choose to use dotCOM and Flat Rate *shipping.

There is an advantage to using dotCOM.

Many US sellers never stray from that site, and they are the largest economy in the world.

Also.

Which is cheaper $9.99USD or $9.99 Cdn?

You are sophisticated enough to know that the Canadian price is lower, but most Americans are not.

And when they compare $9.99USD /$12.99 Cdn, which are in reality almost identical prices, they decide the Canadian item is too expensive.

*You must use Flat Rate shipping on any site except dotCA.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Shipping cost - SOS

Thank you for your tip regarding the psychological price for US, very helpful
Message 10 of 10
latest reply