Shipping discounts not showing up

My listing seem to have trouble generating the shipping discounts for multiple purchases. I have created a rule that says each additional item is $0.50 more. My listings have the box checked off to apply that rule, but buyers are reporting that e-bay is not combing the shipping costs. 

can someone walk me through the process of getting this to work properly? Thanks. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

It also appears the problem with Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid postal code. with the shipping calculator to the USA is back....AGAIN!!! Seems to be random.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Are your buyers using the cart?

And are they buying only those items that have the 50 cent option turned on? They may have added some items that don't have that choice.

I tested by putting a 5 of your cards into the cart and do see the 50 cent charge properly applied.

-..-

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I see the discount as well when I add items to the cart. I didn’t  check all of your listings but Indud see one that doesn’t have the discount set up. It’s item 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

It also appears the problem with Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid postal code. with the shipping calculator to the USA is back....AGAIN!!! Seems to be random.

-Lotz

Are you talking about the op’s listings as I can’t find any?

The only time I do see that is when the wrong dimensions or wrong service has been entered.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

The error message is from one of my listings that recently sold. Yes, the measuremenets are correct. It's been reported numerous times for the past several years. Postage displays for Canadian addresses but not for US. It's something that happens from time to time for some sellers which eBay has no explanation for. It then suddenly goes away only to return again to add to sellers frustrations. These are basic features that if the sellers has done something wrong before completing the listing it should give a seller an error message. If a  buyer gets that message, most just go to next instead of messaging causing sellers to lose potential business.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

What are the measurements on that listing?  I’m not familiar with any off and on problem so now I’m curious what the problem could be.  As you know the eBay calculator goes by the CP published minimum expedited USA dimensions.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Search for "RG58 18" PVC Shielded Cable BNC Male/Male" Lot of 5

Why should the calculator be based on 1 service only. The measurements are correct. In order... for the USA Small Packet Air, US Tracked and Expedited & Small Pkt Air/ Intl Tracked are offered. Expedited works fine for Canada

All options should come up for that item but none show on dot com or dot ca for USA or Intl.

Similar listings of mine display as they should with identical shipping options and measurements.

-Lotz

-Lotz

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Search for "RG58 18" PVC Shielded Cable BNC Male/Male" Lot of 5

Why should the calculator be based on 1 service only. The measurements are correct. In order... for the USA Small Packet Air, US Tracked and Expedited & Small Pkt Air/ Intl Tracked are offered. Expedited works fine for Canada

All options should come up for that item but none show on dot com or dot ca for USA or Intl.

Similar listings of mine display as they should with identical shipping options and measurements.

-Lotz

-Lotz

Please humour me and post the measurements that you are using in that listing. Or even better, please show a screenshot of the entire shipping section.   I realize that you think it is an ebay glitch but sometimes these problems can be fixed without ebay. I am trying to help but it is easier to do if I can see the actual information rather than being told that it is all correct.

You have quite a few listings that have no shipping price to the US or other international countries showing.

Plus, you have at least 3 listings that do not have shipping estimates for anywhere, including Canada:  hookah charcoals; mason cufflinks & leather artwork

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Some of those listings I tested previously. They worked fine at the time. My concern is that you shouldn't have to constantly test your listings to confirm things work or don't work. If you add 2.5 KG for USA Tracked/US Small Packet you get the error message. Flat rate shipping does NOT work for me on 95 percent of my items. I need the calculator to ALWAYS work. Also, please take into consideration final measurements will vary. When dimensions increase shipping charges also increase with (some) services. The number of times Calculated Shipping for quantity item purchases of the same item(for Canadian Sellers) has NOT worked in the past 3 years would blow ones kilt off. 

Also of note is when using Shippo, it bypasses some of the Canadapost rules during processing. Paypal, in the past did not.

-Lotz

For the cufflinks:

CanadaCanadaUSA-IntlUSA-IntlMeasurementsMeasurements

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

In doing some investigating, the problem seems to be some sort of modification eBay has recently made where it assumes USA Small Packet Air is an acceptable option for International locations even when things are set up properly in the listings. On the flipside International Mail displays for packages shipping to the USA along with US Letter. This new conflict is another first in the neverending ongoing collection I've dealt with over the past several years.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Some of those listings I tested previously. They worked fine at the time. My concern is that you shouldn't have to constantly test your listings to confirm things work or don't work

Thank you for providing the screenshot.    I'm surprised that they ever worked because in this case  the measurements don't all  fit into CP's published min. measurements guidelines.  Note that ALL 3 dimensions have to be at least the minimum

Your measurements:  21cm  x 6cm  x 4cm

Minimum Measurements for:

Expedited and Xpresspost USA - 21cm x 14 cm x .5cm

Small packet, Tracked Packet USA and International - 14cm x 9cm x 1mm

The second number in your measurement is too small for any of those services

Canada Post expedited parcel, regular parcel and Priority has always had a smaller minimum than expedited USA. The minimum is 10cm x 7cm x 1mm so in this case it is also the 2nd number that is causing the calculator to not work.

If you add 2.5 KG for USA Tracked/US Small Packet you get the error message.

The max is 2kg, not 2.5kg

Also, please take into consideration final measurements will vary. When dimensions increase shipping charges also increase with (some) services.

Than could be a problem in some cases but I think that in most cases, it wouldn't make much of a difference.  But a person would have to experiment with different numbers to see if it really did make a difference.  

Also of note is when using Shippo, it bypasses some of the Canadapost rules during processing. Paypal, in the past did not.

You had mentioned that to me before and I remembered that the Canada Post calculator also gives a price for packages that are smaller than the minimum dimensions. The only reason that I can come up with as to why they do that is that when Canada Post sets those minimums, it is based more on a minimum price rather than a minimum size that they will accept.   So if you printed a label for an expedited USA label on Shippo for a  2kg package that was 20 x 5 x 5, you would be charged  the same as you would for a 2kg package that was 21 x 14 x 5.   Whether or not I'm right about it being a min. price rather than a min. dimension, ebay and PP have always used it as a min. dimension and I wouldn't count on that being changed anytime soon.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Hi Lotz ... I believe pj is correct, some of your dimensions are below minimum requirements ... easy fix.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Yes, pj is correct. It is a common issue with min and max values being different between shipping services. EBay does minimal or no checking when inputting values in a listing for the shipping services selected. But when the listing is live, the min and max are checked and if incorrect the shipping service displays cryptic messages about it.

This has been like this since calculated shipping on eBay.ca since it was introduced before 2010. I and others have made requests many times overs the years to have the Listing creation do better checking of data entered but the answer has always been no money to get it done by eBay.

Whenever a new shipping service has been introduced like Tracked Packet years ago eBay botched it and it took over a month of complaining with examples to fix it.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera 

I've fixed the ones noted but as mentioned previously, they were working when I tested originally. If an error message can be added for over 2 kg's by specific services, an error message should be an easy fix for under suggested limits or a duplicate service being offered. As long as you can get a label attached to the box securely, it should all be hunky dory in the shipping world and the sun will still come out tomorrow. And the smallest box to get something to its destination safely. It's difficult to be testing 100's or 1000's of listings for some sellers on a daily basis to make sure everything is working and in reality, should they really need to?

-Lotz

PS. Some why's revealed for the other guys.

https://www.simplemost.com/amazon-pack-small-items-big-boxes/

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

I have never seen the calculator work if the dimensions entered were too small so it's odd that yours did.  Or are you saying that they were not fixed by changing to the minimum dimensions?

Anyway, if that was the problem, I'm glad that I could help.

As far as having to test hundreds of listings to see if shipping works...other than the odd time when a major problem has affected the majority of calculated shipping listings, I hear very few problems with the calculator...other than the min. dimension one.

I agree there should be a message but we have asked for that for years and years and it hasn't been done so it makes more sense to me to spend my time making sure that I enter the correct dimensions rather than complain that there is something wrong with the calculator. 

Message 16 of 16
latest reply