Shipping items to USA??

I'm wondering how I should ship my items. I usually send my stuff letterpost (non standard and oversize). Is this the right way, or should I ship light packet or small packet. Do I put a customs form on all my packages? I'm just trying to find the best way possible to send my items(coins, hockey cards). I've lost a few packages to USA, so I'm trying to find the best possible way to send my stuff. Any suggestions??

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Shipping items to USA??

We sell a lot to the USA and similar items to you. We normally use small packet - no tracking no insurance - for lower valued items. as it approaches the $50 + value we move to tracked package or expedited, so far (knock on wood) no major issues. We try to keep the cost of shipping to the USA as reasonable as possible as we do compete with sellers in the US.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You seem to have excellent DSRs and four out of five customers are leaving feedback.

So I guess you don't have many losses, even in your testosterone-charged categories.

I'd continue to use LetterPost/LightPacket, but add a few pennies to my asking or shipping price as a  premium for Cookie Jar Insurance.

If you lost one $10 item in 100, adding 10 cents to each total charge would cover that loss.

If you lost one $10 item in 1000, you actually are making money on self-insurance, just like the real insurance companies do!

You got any light you'd like to shed on this development? -- Captain Mal Reynolds

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

We have never lost an item in the mail to USA yet. For an item that is under 100g and 2cm or thinner we just send it letter post for $2.95 in stamps. If the item is still 2cm or thinner and between 100g and 150g we send it light packet air for $3.98 (including tax) using ebay/paypal Canada post shipping.

You need to put air mail stickers on these items to avoid them taking a truck instead, it does happen. You can get the stickers at any postal outlet for free.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

As online2u2012 pointed out anything of greater value might be better shipped with insurance.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for all your kind replies. I was just wondering about customs forms? Am I supposed to fill a customs form on all my packages to the U.S ? Sometimes at the postal outlet they've told me not to worry about it, but other times they've told me it's absolutely necessary. Any suggestions on this?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Well yes fill out form if asked, if your mailing coins use words like numismatics not coin, try to throw off any people tempted to take coins out.....
Message 7 of 7
latest reply