Shipping of Expensive China/Figurines

Posts by gifts of elegance in the "Nothing Seems to Sell Anymore" thread prompted me to ask her, or anyone else, how best to ensure that very expensive items reach their destination safely, and minimize the risk of any fraudulent purchasing activity.  I currently only ship within North America but, with items like china, I don't know whether it would be wise to offer these listings to, say, European buyers.

A family member has asked if I would sell her very expensive figurines, china and crystal, with many of these pieces having a potential sale price of $1000-plus.  I've been reluctant (actually frightened) to because of so much fraudulent activity with high priced items -- perhaps more so with electronics.  I've never sold very expensive items before and I'm not 100% sure how to protect myself.

I know that quality packing materials are required; shipping with tracking and a signature requirement, and purchasing sufficient insurance.  In doing that, a buyer cannot claim that he did not receive the item.  Now, if it is damaged in transit, would the insurance cover the cost of the item itself plus the money I outlaid for shipping?  What if the buyer claims the item is "not as described" and refuses to pay return shipping.  I noticed that sets of china sold by gifts of elegance could require as much as a $250 shipping charge.  What happens if the seller refuses to pay the return shipping and files a dispute?  We can't be certain that PayPal would rule in our favour and, depending upon the statements made by the buyer, we might be forced to pay the return shipping as well.  Or, say, the seller does agree to pay the return shipping but does not re-pack the item well and it is damaged on return.  I'm presuming the original insurance purchased would not cover the return leg of the journey?

As far as the descriptions are concerned, I would have to do a lot of research before I even attempt to list the items.  The owner has only a limited knowledge of the items other than when they were purchased and the original cost.  So I do have my work cut out for me.

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

I think I would pass on selling this family member's items - I like things to be as stress free as possible.

Canada Post does not insure china/crystal for breakage, only for loss.

She might be better to send them to a consignment store or an auction house in the city or sell them at an antique show.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

I don't block overseas buyers for such items but I do set shipping at a number they'd be very unlikely to buy at.

(BTW: It's been my experience that shipping breakables to Australia is very high risk as more items get broken than not.)

I suspect that Gifts of Elegance sells items that have been factory packaged for safe shipping and has an added element of safety built in that you may not have.

CPO does not cover breakable items such as china figurines.  Third Party insurance does up to $1,000 only.

That means that if you ship via Expedited or Tracked Packet that it will take little manipulating of numbers when declaring the value of breakable items to get full coverage.

For example, if you ship an item via tracked packet you have to value the item at $100 more than the selling price to get coverage for breakage.

Yes, they cover the cost of shipping as long as you paid for the insurance.

The return shipping issue is a BIG one for such items.

IMO, with that hanging over a seller's head, shipping heavy high priced breakables over-seas should be carefully considered.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

73rhc
Community Member

A local high end auction house. Or if not in a hurry and want to save on auction fees, I'd list on a local classified site. If you are comfortable with that.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

"I'd appreciate any advice you can offer"

1) I suggest you send a link of this thread to your family member in selling those fragile items.

2) I would pass.  Too many factors working against you.  One needs a high risk tolerance factor to handle expensive and fragile items, more so for a friend or family member.  Not worth the effort.  There are many other options available to your family member to sell those items.  I would avoid the mail.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

We sell china/crystal figurines on a monthly basis although most often around the $200-300 range and rarely a few $1000 since these are much harder to find.

The brand of your figurines will pretty much determine your market, ie: Royal Doulton(UK, USA,Canada) Schuman Arzberg(Germany, Australia, South East Asia) Wades(UK. Sweden, Norway) and your shipping method will be expensive but most collector do not mind paying extra for that special piece that completes a collection.

Shipping internationally should be done in double boxes that actually fit each other within 1/2" play. That 1/2" of space should be fitted with some foam or Styrofoam which will protect against "shock damage"(ie drops etc...) The inner box should contain the figurine in multiple layers of bubble wrap with the big bubbles and not the 1/8" that sells for cheaper. And finally the figurine once in bubble wrap then needs to have another cushion added in the box in the form of newspaper or similar product which covers the entire surface of figurine meaning top bottom and all sides in order for the figurine not to be touching the box in any fashion whatsoever so that when the outer box hits something the shock of the impact is distributed between the outer box and the Styrofoam inserted between the two boxes.

And finally use all 12 pictures made available to you when listing and make sure you cover every single angle of the figurine and also if any issues exist with the figurine make sure you display those clearly in your description and possibly subtitles if the situation needs it. In other words make sure your potential buyer knows exactly what he/she is buying. This should avoid any NAD cases.

Using these techniques we have successfully shipped similar figurines/china pieces to almost everywhere in the world including Australia, Germany, Japan and even China, Thailand.

However based on our past experience Indonesia may be a country you wish to exclude from shipping china, figurines and especially expensive pieces since their customs services seem to be quite corrupted and are asking buyers for multiple duties/taxes to be paid and likely more than once to different custom officers.

Hope this helps......

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Oi vey  LOL

I thought I was nervous before.

She had asked me about a year ago, and I told her I was too inexperienced to take this on.  Then she asked me again a few days ago and I said I would look into it.  My first thought was to come to this Board to get advice from experienced sellers.  Because these are not my own items, I'm extremely apprehensive.

I may look into an auction house.  She did tell me that she had tried to sell a few items through the classifieds, but when the individuals showed up to look at them, they offered a fraction of what she was asking (no surprise, I guess).

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

"She did tell me that she had tried to sell a few items through the classifieds, but when the individuals showed up to look at them, they offered a fraction of what she was asking (no surprise, I guess)."

I get that all of the time, but I find around here, that putting "non-negotiable" or "firm" in your ad weeds out the lowballers. Well, most of them.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

@73rhc wrote:

"She did tell me that she had tried to sell a few items through the classifieds, but when the individuals showed up to look at them, they offered a fraction of what she was asking (no surprise, I guess)."

I get that all of the time, but I find around here, that putting "non-negotiable" or "firm" in your ad weeds out the lowballers. Well, most of them.

Probably because she was looking to get far more than the stuff is actually worth

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Thanks very much, berubegirl, for the detailed information.  There's no doubt you know this business and your post exudes a real sense of confidence in what you do. 

Your experiences with problem buyers are few and far between, I presume?  Other than some issues with Indonesia. 

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@73rhc wrote:

Actually, I was shocked to learn that she had done this, without mentioning it to anyone.  She's an elderly woman, living alone, with  lovely furnishings ... an easy target for would-be thieves.  She's an independent woman who was offended that I thought she had not used caution in this regard.  I asked her who had placed the ads and she said she was very capable of calling the Winnipeg Free Press.  When I enquired as to how she arrived at the asking price, she said she had talked to other women at the community center.

But I think she realized that perhaps she'd been a little reckless and then asked me to step in.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

I agree.  berubegirl gave excellent advice.  Double or even triple boxing high-end breakables is the way to go no matter the destination.

Although there seems to be a trend here to advise you against selling these on line, I just want to say that I've made excellent money selling items such as you describe.

If you sell by a method that doesn't require shipping I doubt that you'd get even a fraction of what you'd get selling on line.

However, these aren't yours and so there's an added element for problems.

What I would do is to offer to help my relative set up on eBay (or R-L perhaps where return shipping is not an issue?) and be there to advise on how to sell on line.

If the figures are high-end and rare it would likely be worth the risk and effort.............  (what beubegirl said).

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

I have no experience with auction houses or antique shows. 

For those who have .... would you say one or the other is a better venue?  At antique shows, I presume you pay for a booth/table.  With an auction house, what is the usual commission fee?

Thank you all for your comments.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

One needs a high risk tolerance factor to handle expensive and fragile items, more so for a friend or family member.  Not worth the effort.  There are many other options available to your family member to sell those items.  I would avoid the mail.

And that's something I don't possess, unfortunately.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

I agree.

DH just came in from an stamp collection appraisal. The owners believed the material to be worth $25,000.

Most of the value, about $500, was in modern postage.

The rest was common, used material.

If someone tells you something is worth $XXX., it is useful to ask if they are willing to pay than much right now.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

Although there seems to be a trend here to advise you against selling these on line, I just want to say that I've made excellent money selling items such as you describe. 

I looked at your listings as well and I can see why you are successful.  I admire people who have in-depth knowledge of vintage items, antiques and collectibles.  But this usually comes with years of experience.  I'm hesitant because this is an unfamiliar area for me.

If you want to know which skin cream would be most beneficial for your skin type or what colour blush or lipstick you should wear, or what that Polish documentary is all about (I also sell in media), I'm your girl.  I will do what I can for my aunt, but I'm not so sure it will be through the mail.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

When I sold breakables....  they were double boxed.

The first box fit exactly about a breakable bundled in bubble wrap.

This inner box was in a second box with a buffer three inches on all sides.

If the inner box was 6 inches x 4 inches x 8 inches.... the outer box was plus 6 inches on all sides....

12 inches x 10 inches x 14 inches  for the outer box.

The three inch space was filled with crumpled newspaper...  peanuts would shift  within the box  with a resultant loss in buffer size about the inner box.

Large pieces of chalet glass were shipped safely to Australia/New Zealand... nothing broke in transit 

Today   the problem with international shipping would be the cost of a double boxed breakable.... Volumetric cost ...not ... weight cost... airmail with tracking and signature.

and if it is return shipping  that could become very painful..dollarwise

-----------------------------------------------------------

Selling locally, at auction, on Kijiji  or any other method would result in less stress

---------------------------------------

eBay is an option  at fixed price....  but even there a lot of research would be required....  a lot of care... a significant length of time on eBay.... and an understanding of what is being sold...

A quick sale on eBay  may mean received a lower than fully expected price..

The value of an item is defined  as an agreed price between buyer and seller....  Winnipeg is a most difficult place to sell...  Winnipegers love to haggle....  and that is why I have sold on eBay... I could haggle a good price  and then sell well on eBay...  Winnipegers... me included... do love a good deal...

With books there is much less haggling... many purchases at good prices... with a subsequent very good value on eBay... but even there one has to know what not to buy and then sell...on eBay 

No matter where one sells whether eBay or elsewhere one should not expect super value  associated with a quick sale.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

The size of an item, and the resultant double boxed item for shipping is a critical factor..... 

With today's cost for postage.... volumetric pricing for postage  would be critical in defining  how deeply a item must be discounted in price in order to sell an item quickly.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

and if it is return shipping  that could become very painful..dollarwise

That's one of my primary fears.  There have been so many posts here the last year or so related to sellers being stung for return shipping and, in many, if not most, cases, for item values far below the $500 - $1000 of my aunt's items.

Selling locally, at auction, on Kijiji  or any other method would result in less stress
A few posters have mentioned the stress level of these types of transactions ... and I have to admit, if I get stressed out now about $50 items, holy smokes, I can't imagine on a $500 item.
Message 19 of 31
latest reply

I sell china and crystal world wide.  Canada Post does not insure china or crystal against glass or pottery as they are sensitive to temperature changes.

If you ship with USPS  (from USA) they insure but its your purchaser that has to file a claim and you have to send her the receipt so she can collect.  If purchaser ships the item back to you, your insurance becomes null and void.  If the box is damaged, USPS can claim it was insufficiently packed (not enough fill enabling the box to cave in, resulting in the damage).  If there is no evidence of damage on the box, then it becomes an issue of "item was already damaged when sent".

You can try UPS or other carriers with the same results.  In Canada, fragile items have to be taken to the UPS store unpacked and its up  to the discretion of the store if they want to insure it or not.

I shipped a $5,000 piece of Swarovski crystal to England through a UPS Store in London (Ontario).  They insured it for something like $500.  It arrived safe and well.  I shipped an identical piece to Nice, France a year later but they would not insure it and were much more expensive than Canada Post.  I shipped with CP  and it arrived safe.  Same person purchased several other items and sent two back "broken".  One was a smaller item but the other was $1,000.  It was a bunch of Swarovski  grapes with metal leaves and was packed in its original foam lined box.  Several of the crystal grapes were badly chipped and one of the leaves was broken in two.  It had to be dropped on the floor to suffer that kind of damage.  It was beyond repair.

I shipped some expensive china to Japan without problems and also a 40 piece set of Dynasty to London, England.  I tried to minimize

the danger of loss so I shipped them $1,000 value per box (7 boxes).  It cost $1,200 with Canada Post.  UPS wanted more, without insurance.  I shipped 4 other sets to USA without problems at a cost of $450 or $650 per set, I no  longer remember.

I do  all my own packing.  I use brand new boxes, bubble wrap and styrofoam.  Lots!   I usually double box.  I wrap each item carefully.  I don't put heavy items like a stack of plates together with cups.  I make sure they are all in the center of the box with at least 2" of styrofoam all around.    I shake and tap the box so the foam settles, then I refill so that its heaping a bit on top.  Then I seal the box with tons of tape.

The box has to be fully packed with no empty spaces so it has some resistance against crushing.  I pack it so that if it rolled down the stairs, nothing  would not break.

I screen my purchasers.  I Google their name to see who they are and what they do.  I look up their address to see how long they have lived there and how much their home is worth.  I check telephone listings.  I go to Google Earth and look at their house.  I find out everything I  can about them.  Usually I follow up with a phone call to confirm that they have authorized the purchase.  Then I  pack.

I ship everything with Canada Post, I insure for full value and I request delivery confirmation for over $250 and signature if its over $500.

Its a bit time consuming and  the new eBay return policy and the 6 month PayPal policy makes it risky.  If I feel the slightest reservation about my buyer, I cancel the transaction.  

With so much at stake, I would not consider selling anyone's items.  Even if it all goes smooth, there is a potential for misunderstanding that could arise between you and the lady that could ruin the relationship.  

I take the risks because I cannot resist buying beautiful china and crystal.  I love their beauty and the excellence that goes into their production.

I hope I was able to help.  

Message 20 of 31
latest reply