Shipping small flat item using Economy Shipping

Please advise what is the cheapest way to ship and how to display shipping cost in the Listing for following item. I wish to use shipping cost like $2 to $3 based on Buyer location. I see some other listing provide such shipping option and says "Economy Shipping". Are they using Canada Post or some other Service?

This is the Item:
Small flat Plastic and Metal Item - approx 3 inch by 2 inch
Thickness: approx 3 mm, Weight about 25 grams
No need for Tracking and Insurance, slow shipping is okay.
Shipping to: Canada, USA, Europe, Australia

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Flat rate Canada Post Lettermail would most likely be fine for Canadian buyers. Flat rate means exactly that, enter whatever amount you think appropriate. 

Regarding International sales, If the item contains any material other than paper Lettermail runs the risk of being rejected at the U.S. border. 

Technically, merchandise requires a customs declaration which eliminates Lettermail. These days the customs people are more diligent in identifying mail containing merchandise. So use caution there. 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/My-order-was-not-received-again-and-again-and-again-USA/...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Here is the Canada Post rates website.

It will update in January if you bookmark it today.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

If you are listing on dotCA (here) you can use any of the services in the dropdown menu.

If you are not seeing those change from the terrible Simplified Sell Your Item form to the Advanced/Business one which gives more options and is clearer about what is happening.

The link to the better form is at the top right side of the horrible one.

To base your shipping on Buyer Location choose Calculated Shipping.

You choose first for Canada and then when you get to International Shipping -> Choose Calculated Shipping-> Choose Custom Location-> Choose USA.

Don't choose any other countries yet. Get some experience.

Choose a service (Lettermail is not included. It is a Flat Rate service.)

When you scroll lower you will be asked for the weight and dimensions of your packaged item. You might have to do some estimating here.

USE METRIC

Canada Post went metric in 1974 and everything else is inaccurate.

DO NOT USE SURFACE SHIPPING.

Your losses will more than exceed any savings in cost.

"Economy Shipping" is used by sellers listing on a site that is not their homesite.
I list here and on dotCOM, and over there I must use Flat Rate shipping and vague terms like "economy shipping".
If I were in the USA , I would have more choices based on USPS rates when listing on dotCOM.

For more information search the Boards for  "chitchat express"  "cookie jar insurance"  .

The current and upcoming Canada Post rates are being discussed in an active thread on the sellers board.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

Flat rate Canada Post Lettermail would most likely be fine for Canadian buyers. Flat rate means exactly that, enter whatever amount you think appropriate. 

Regarding International sales, If the item contains any material other than paper Lettermail runs the risk of being rejected at the U.S. border. 

Technically, merchandise requires a customs declaration which eliminates Lettermail. These days the customs people are more diligent in identifying mail containing merchandise. So use caution there. 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/My-order-was-not-received-again-and-again-and-again-USA/...

Not to dispute what you are saying at all but given the size, weight of what the OP is mailing LetterMail/LetterPost will be just fine for domestic and international. "Wrapped" in a folded 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper and nobody will ever know there is anything else in the envelope.

Just don't be tempted to use any kind of customs declaration for the International.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Of course, small lightweight merchandise is commonly shipped to the U.S. and overseas via lettermail every day ...  A new seller unfamiliar with postal regulations and cross-border trade would do well to be well informed on the subject though. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply