Shipping to USA as of Oct. 1 + info on lost packages

From Cnet regarding USPS and possible delays with delivery times. Probably more of a wait and see situation. Also see portion on price hikes for mail from the USA around the holiday season. Definitely not something to look forward to if you purchase much from the USA where USPS is involved.

USPS slowdown starts Oct. 1: What to know about new delays and price hikes for mail - CNET

-Lotz

FYI on lost/late parcels: What can I do if my USPS package is lost?

When sending or receiving a letter or parcel with the Postal Service, keep in mind that delivery estimates are just that -- estimates and not guarantees. The only USPS service that offers a money-back guarantee for delivery within a two-day window is priority mail express. So unlike first-class mail or regular priority, you'll actually get a refund for a late delivery. 

If you're waiting on a letter or package that has an incorrect address or was stuck in a weather-related delay, the only way to intercept or reroute it is with a USPS tracking number. Some Postal Service offerings automatically include tracking, but if you need it for first-class mail or media mail, you'll have to pay an additional fee. According to the USPS, adding a tracking service doesn't expedite or guarantee delivery. It just makes it possible to find your item if it's lost. 

If you feel like you're experiencing an atypical delay and you think your mail has gotten lost, you can submit a missing mail search request, and the USPS will try to locate it. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Starting Oct. 1, the USPS will implement new service standards for first-class mail and packages, lengthening delivery time for about 30% of its volume. That means some letters, parcels and magazine subscriptions traveling longer distances could take up to five days to arrive, instead of two or three days.

-------

If the increase really is for first class mail to take up to 5 days for longer distances, that seems fairly quick to me. Although I suspect that things will take longer than that.

Some Postal Service offerings automatically include tracking, but if you need it for first-class mail or media mail, you'll have to pay an additional fee

The usps info that you posted for lost mail won't apply to sellers here unless they are buying usps postage.  However, I'm wondering if that quote is from an out of date usps page.  First class packages and media mail have included tracking automatically for quite a while.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It would apply to anything shipped to or from the USA once it is in the mailstream.  As of late I only see occasional delays once parcels arrive at LAX or SF  for customs processing. In theory it could end up meaning there may be more black holes other than Chicago. Even parcels using GSP could take longer getting to PB and sellers using USPS direct to Canada are becoming more difficult to locate.

-Lotz

As a side note, its very obvious the majority of US sellers really do not care about speed for shipping to Canada. Only about tracking.  Why trying to compare mail services/transit times are like comparing grapes to truck tires.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Trump appointee Louis DeJoy continues his campaign to make USPS look so bad that it is sold off to private shippers-- including those he holds stock in.

There was some hope that the Board of Directors would fire him - if only for his shenanigans during the last holiday period when he stopped overtime, told workers to go home at end of shift even if there was more mail to be delivered, removed mailboxes, destroyed sorting machines and refused to hire temporary staff.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for passing on this info! It's always good to be mentally prepared before something happens (or maybe ignorance is bliss? I haven't decided.) Things seemed to finally be going through Chicago much faster the last few weeks...should have known it wouldn't last! I always ship with Tracked Package to US, not sure if the service we send from here would affect what service/speed they use there...probably not.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply