Shipping

What is the cheapest way to ship from Canada ? I usually ship with Canada post and they've done an excellent job so far but is there any cheaper option

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Shipping

@van13sina wrote:

What is the cheapest way to ship from Canada ? I usually ship with Canada post and they've done an excellent job so far but is there any cheaper option

If you are located in an area of Canada that is close to a crossborder shipper, you can save some money on shipping for USA sales. Way it works: you get the package to the shipper, they take it across the border for a small fee, and the parcel gets mailed and travels at cheap, tracked USPS domestic rates.

Currently this can be done for items worth less than $800us.

Here are some I know about:

Chit Chats Express can be found at chitchats.com (Vancouver area, Toronto area, Montreal, Halifax, with other cities in the plans)

RunninRed.com (Winnipeg)

StallionExpress.ca (Toronto)

For several Alberta locations there is DYKpost.com

CrossBordersPickups.ca (Mississauga, Markham) will also bring packages into Canada for buyers, as well as take packages to the USA for sellers.

Some of these companies also offer discounted shipping for Canadian addresses and for International (beyond the USA).

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Shipping

@van13sina wrote:

If you are located in an area of Canada that is close to a crossborder shipper, you can save some money on shipping for USA sales. Way it works: you get the package to the shipper, they take it across the border for a small fee, and the parcel gets mailed and travels at cheap, tracked USPS domestic rates.

Currently this can be done for items worth less than $800us.

Here are some I know about:

Chit Chats Express can be found at chitchats.com (Vancouver area, Toronto area, Montreal, Halifax, with other cities in the plans)

RunninRed.com (Winnipeg)

StallionExpress.ca (Toronto)

For several Alberta locations there is DYKpost.com

CrossBordersPickups.ca (Mississauga, Markham) will also bring packages into Canada for buyers, as well as take packages to the USA for sellers.

Some of these companies also offer discounted shipping for Canadian addresses and for International (beyond the USA).

-..-

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Shipping

Cool , maybe ill give it a try although ebay requires a tracking number 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Shipping

@van13sina wrote:

Cool , maybe ill give it a try although ebay requires a tracking number 

eBay does not require a tracking number -- recommends but does not require.

And most of the services through these alternatives do have tracking.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Shipping

If your reshipper uses USPS you can get a tracking number very cheaply. Around a quarter and even on LetterMail.

One of the things I'm asking Santa to bring us for Christmas- cheap tracking by Canada Post.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Shipping

Step away from the eggnog!!  Isn't gonna happen!!! open_mouth

-CM

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Shipping

There is no tracking on lettermail in the US. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Shipping

https://www.usps.com/ship/mail-shipping-services.htm

Click on Quick Compare for the details.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Shipping

The chart basically supports what I said...a letter size envelope does not have tracking.

First class mail covers letters, oversize lettermail (which they call a large flat envelope)  and small packages. The chart specifies that tracking is available for packages only (package price includes tracking)   If the envelope is under certain dimensions and meets other requirements, similar to what our lettermail requirements are) then it is sent as a flat/lettermail and tracking is not included and it is not available at an extra charge. 

A flat large envelope could be sent as a package but supposedly it has to be made thicker (3/4"?) to meet package requirements and it would then be charged at a package rate, not a first class letter rate.

Probably more info than anyone wanted...

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Shipping

Ahhh! That reminds me that US sellers often tell newbies to put a packing peanut into the envelope to make it thick enough to track.

Thank you for the correction.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply