Shippo can print return labels for UPS from CAN to US?

Just wanted to confirm, I'm going to do no returns but the 'clever' buyers with buyer's remorse can always can override that with SNAD so printing returns before was not possible and it was annoying for me, and for them having to do it themselves.

I'm going to use UPS to US only through shippo (sorry Canada), can I generate return labels through shippo in case of trouble? Otherwise I don't really see the value in shippo or what it's for.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I don't like Shippo and try to avoid it, preferring Paypal for a smooth experience.

I have, however, printed a USPS label for a return.

It was a couple of years ago so the details are gone from my memory, but it was not difficult, even considering what a technodolt I am.

The advantages of Shippo are:

•   the address and customs forms self-populate, as does Paypal but not SnapShip.
  •  the same small discounts as are available from PP and SS on some services.
  • more shippers seem to be available than with PP or (obviously) SnapShip
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yeah they advertise they offer the USPS service, which is cool, I guess I'll just see if they can do UPS as well if it comes up, I emailed them to ask yesterday, but bad support no response 😐

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Before you called for help, had you tried and failed?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

no I just set up a ups account yesterday and don't know if it's integrated with my shippo properly (I think it did), and I'm not opening my store for a few weeks, so I just emailed to inquire.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The only one that worked for me is DHL .. all others fail due to unavailable commercial invoice (usps, fedex, ups). 

but then you have to make sure sender actually includes a commercial invoice or DHL will turn it around when it goes to clear customs. 

Ideally USPS would be the best option, but since you can't buy a label from Canada (they won't take credit card, or canadian paypal..) and Shippo fails, I have ended up usually using my own Fedex or UPS account, which stinks since they charge brokerage on entries. .  .   

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

ok thanks for letting me know that at least you can do through UPS account, it shouldn't be happening a lot and hopefully not at all so brokerage won't be that bad, actually I don't think I even need to use shippo if I can do everything through UPS.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yes shippo does this but you have to be extra careful for two reasons. 1. Their labels expire 3 days after issue. Your customer must print and use the label within 3 days. 2. When you buy the label it will default to todays date. You have to manually push the date as far into the future as the system will allow. From Canada this is 3 days to expiry from the purchase date.

The information below is current as of September 2020. Below is the transcript of my inquiry to and directions from Shippo. It incorrectly states you can push the date a week into the future. This is only possible in the US. When buying a return label from  Canada the time limit to the expiry of the label is 3 days. You must clarify that with your customer. If he/she waits 4 days to ship the item back you just wasted your money. 

Re: About [USING SHIPPO] Labels for Return Shipping
in reply to 09-23-2020 09:28:33 PM
intimewithmusic

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi @sylviebee! If you use Shippo you should be able to issue a USPS return label direct from your account. 

For me, that's their main selling feature above other postage vendors right now. Makes it much simpler.

NOT QUITE RIGHT
Yes, you can buy USPS labels from SHIPPO but be careful. According to Shippo they do not sell "Automatic Return Labels" for USPS shipments to Canada. You CAN however buy a USPS label from Shippo to get the job done. What you must know is that the label will EXPIRE quickly unless you manually change the shipping date on the label BEFORE PRINTING.  The following instruction is from Alyssa at SHIPPO.  Note she says "set the label date a week in the future".  You can't actually do this! People in the US can but Canadians can only set the shipping date on the label 3 DAYS IN THE FUTURE. If you buy the label on October 1 you must  advise your customer  the label will expire on October 4. If you forget to change the shipping date (like I did) you may have to void the label and print another (like I did). then you may find yourself in a lengthy process of trying to obtain a refund from Shippo in Canadian dollars for the voided label you paid for in US dollars (like I did).  Here's Ayssa at Shippo Sept 2020P:

"Thanks for getting in touch! Happy to help you out with this.
Unfortunately we aren't able to offer automated return labels for international shipments, however you are able to create a "return-like" label by creating a new manual label, and entering the California address as the sender / return address, and entering your BC address in the recipient area. So you’re essentially creating a regular label, just with the addresses reversed.
Since this is not an actual “return” label, it will expire more quickly, so be sure to set the “shipment date” a week in the future (which is the farthest in the future you can set it). You can then email this label your customer to put on the return package.
I hope that helps, but please let us know if you need anything else! We'd be happy to assist further :)"

Message 8 of 8
latest reply