Shippo does not show a light packet option

I was curious so I set up a shippo account.  I imported the CPC file so it could be one of my selected carriers.  It does not show a light packet option, so that tells me it will not be available?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

qottie
Community Member

All,

PayPal released a fix to the shipping labels flow was earlier this afternoon, and we think that the service should be back to normal.

Specifically, when eBay sellers choose "Print Shipping Label" on My eBay, and enter the label printing flow on PayPal:

• sellers should no longer be asked to register or connect their Canada Post account before printing a label
  • "eBay-negotiated" Canada Post rates and services (including Light Packet for US / International destinations) should be showing up again as options for label printing

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you are still having issues with printing labels.  We will continue to work with PayPal to resolve any outstanding issues that arise.  Thanks for your patience as we worked with PayPal to resolve the issues.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I also tested Canada Post Snap Ship and it to does not have the light packet option.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@skylarstuff wrote:

I was curious so I set up a shippo account.  I imported the CPC file so it could be one of my selected carriers.  It does not show a light packet option, so that tells me it will not be available?

Have to wait and see what happens when Shippo gets connected through eBay.

Since I assume the rates/services for eBay will be according to the eBay/CPC agreement.

-..-

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@skylarstuff wrote:
I also tested Canada Post Snap Ship and it to does not have the light packet option.

Light packet is an account specific option that Canada Post only intended for the postal outlets and selected third parties that have it in their contract agrreement. I would suggest inquiring in the next weekly chat if ebay will be ensuring it is implemented when Shippo officially goes live with ebay.ca.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@skylarstuff wrote:

I also tried that today as I have a package to ship and PayPal does not have it anymore. And was disappointed to see it was not there either. So now 2 options: shipping by lettermail (as this is a photo and should be accepted) OR file the form on Canada Post website and go to the Post Office with the code bar they give. 😞

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Is there any advantage to buying Light Packet online? Certainly no discount. 

While I ship little that goes without tracking, I'll simply take my Light Packets to the postal counter as I do my domestic oversize. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

While I ship little that goes without tracking, I'll simply take my Light Packets to the postal counter as I do my domestic oversize. 

No discount, but it saves time. I just print the label at home and drop the package in the nearest postal box. I don't have to go on CP, fill out the form to get their new bar code for international shipments and then wait in line at the counter.

Are you able to go to your postal counter without the bar code for each of your packages? If you do, you are very lucky!

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I make time during business hours to stand in line with all of my outbound mail to gain my same-day acceptance scans. Most of my orders, however, are packed in the wee hours of the night.

Because all online systems failed on Saturday with Canada Post, I had to use their barcode system of international shipments and it wasn't terrible for buying a label at the counter. I wouldn't worry much about doing it that way for Light Packet as well. I buy all my domestic oversize lettermail stamps one at a time while standing in line anyway. But 85 per cent of my stuff is parcel-size, I have very little that fits into Light Packet that I'm willing to send without tracking.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

This is a question for those who ship a lot of light packet items to the States.

What's the difference between a package that is less than 2cm thick and weighs less than 100 grams as far as shipping via light packet or oversized letter mail is concerned?

If they've taken away the light packet option is it true that those items can be shipped via oversized letter mail instead at a much lower rate?

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

As I understand it, oversize international lettermail is for documents only whereas Light Packet USA or Light Packet International is for items that can include goods as opposed to only documents. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

This is a question for those who ship a lot of light packet items to the States.

What's the difference between a package that is less than 2cm thick and weighs less than 100 grams as far as shipping via light packet or oversized letter mail is concerned?

If they've taken away the light packet option is it true that those items can be shipped via oversized letter mail instead at a much lower rate? 

Lettermail was never intended for shipping merchandise. I'm not sure what Canada Post sort/presort process is these days with oversized/uneven lettermail verus parcel class like light/small. With USPS sometimes lettermail sent items get thrashed in the sorting machines, hence they always push you to rigid mailers and PO's there can be very picky about that when accepting parcels. When I was shipping light packet I used corrugated cd mailers to ensure safe processing on both sides of the postal fences.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Simplified reporting and cleaner labels basically. I prefer to keep my postage out of as few accounts as possible to simplify year end accounting.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Light packet isn't available for me today either so now it's sounding like it's gone from everywhere for good.... or ?????????

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

Light packet isn't available for me today either so now it's sounding like it's gone from everywhere for good.... or ?????????

I wouldn't necessarily assume that it's gone for good.  Small Packet had also vanished from Paypal's Canada Post options tonight when I tried to do a label.  Which meant that the only label services available to me were the more expensive tracked ones.  Of course if you have the time you can always send with Light Packet in person at the Post Office while this mess is going on. 

I suspect all of these bizarre happenings are connected with Paypal's exit from the eBay label business, and/or with eBay's co-ordination and re-programming in conjunction with Shippo to provide the replacement service.  Shippo may currently be in beta mode, so the full services may not be available consistently yet.  

I think we're all going to have to just hold our noses and put up with this shipping FUBAR that is likely to continue until eBay gets Shippo fully up and running.  

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

All,

PayPal released a fix to the shipping labels flow was earlier this afternoon, and we think that the service should be back to normal.

Specifically, when eBay sellers choose "Print Shipping Label" on My eBay, and enter the label printing flow on PayPal:

• sellers should no longer be asked to register or connect their Canada Post account before printing a label
  • "eBay-negotiated" Canada Post rates and services (including Light Packet for US / International destinations) should be showing up again as options for label printing

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you are still having issues with printing labels.  We will continue to work with PayPal to resolve any outstanding issues that arise.  Thanks for your patience as we worked with PayPal to resolve the issues.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Seems to me in the introduction we got a couple of weeks ago, mention was made that Light Packet would not be available however discounting
Small Packet was their way of offering a substitution at comparable cost.
We'll see as times goes on.....
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Yes, there was a whole Announcement about it.
Message 17 of 17
latest reply