Sometimes it pays to use the phone to call the buyer when problems arise!

Wednesday was one of those days!

I think the last return I had was over 2 years ago. Yesterday I had 2!!!

The first one was a "changed my mind" type so nothing I can do but wait for it to come back.

The 2nd one though was an SNAD, and it came in while I was working on other stuff. When I looked at the description of the problem the buyer left something was drastically wrong.

Then I noticed I only sent the item on Tuesday, the day before (they purchased it on Friday, the PO was closed till Tuesday of course), and the buyer was in the USA so there was no way it was my item.

Because they had just issued the Return request, I figured they might be home so I called them.

As I suspected they purchased a couple different items of the same nature over a couple weeks, and they confused the one they just got with mine and issued the return request on mine mistakenly comparing my description to what they had in their hand which was drastically different.

Unfortunately they couldn't see my item anymore since they'd opened a return request and I was not able to help them find it over the phone (I never even figured out if they were looking at email messages or were in eBay proper!). During the call I did realize that I could bounce the return request back to them by putting in a message back to them within the request which I did.

However moments later by accident, while I still had the buyer on the phone, I clicked on the $%$^&%^ screen which "accepted" the return. This now made it a mess.

Fortunately the buyer was great, once we got the situation figured out, they called eBay and got the entire return request zapped.

This took about 20 minutes on the phone for me, it would have been a real time waster and a potential disaster if I'd tried to do it via messaging!

(PS as a note, when the buyer asked them to cancel the return request, it showed up to me as though a case was opened which freaked me out a bit, turns out that is the normal process, an hour or so it showed as being closed at buyers request)

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Sometimes it pays to use the phone to call the buyer when problems arise!

Often you can use Paypal to find the correct listing when it cannot be found on eBay.

In the same way, PP has the buyer's email address hidden by the Refund link.

Also.

Yayyyy!

Message 2 of 2
latest reply