Stamps Not Allowed On Parcels? Genuine CPC Notice or Lazy Employee?

So I sent a parcel the other day, and had about $9 worth of stamps on it, and the guy behind the counter went through this long drawn out monologue how Canada Post issued a notice and that next time he wouldn't be able to allow me to use the stamps.

Now, not too long ago I was at a Shopper's and the girl had no issue.

This particular outlet has a bad reputation (like 2 stars on Google) so I'm just reaching out to those who do use stamps if there has been any updates or official policies or if this guy  is just being lazy etc. 

Basically the message was that stamps can only be used for letters. But, if there is a policy, why have the ability to allow it? Doesn't make sense. Maybe it cuts into his profits because it's money he never collected. No clue.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sounds like he trying out a line of BS to cut back on the extra step he has to do. Or he is misunderstanding the new rules (no more manual CN22) for parcels going out of country effective the end of the year.

Mailed 2 stamped boxes to Canada yesterday at my Shoppers postal outlet with no problems or warnings. On the other hand, I'm a regular, so they don't spend any extra time counting the 50 or 60 stamps on the boxes, they trust the total stamp value I write on the box corner.

As I understand it, the outlet gets the same money for processing the parcel as they would if I paid cash.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I haven’t heard anything about that and I don’t believe that it’s true. Perhaps they misunderstand something that they read.

Was it a domestic parcel?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Yeah domestic parcel. It's going to rural Alberta so even CCE couldn't give me better rate, so I decided to go to postal outlet.

It's too bad as that outlet is a short walk for me. I guess I'll travel to the other outlets or in my travels ask around.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I’ve only been selling a short while but have been going to my local CP post office quite frequently now. I’m that short time I’ve already learned to leave if one particular employee is working. The mistakes and complete lack of caring is pretty astounding to be honest. The other dozen employees have been fantastic though.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Sounds like he trying out a line of BS to cut back on the extra step he has to do. Or he is misunderstanding the new rules (no more manual CN22) for parcels going out of country effective the end of the year.

Mailed 2 stamped boxes to Canada yesterday at my Shoppers postal outlet with no problems or warnings. On the other hand, I'm a regular, so they don't spend any extra time counting the 50 or 60 stamps on the boxes, they trust the total stamp value I write on the box corner.

As I understand it, the outlet gets the same money for processing the parcel as they would if I paid cash.

-..-

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I've seen people use stamps to mail parcels at my local PO as well. I'm just curious what the advantage is over paying for the parcel service? Do you still get a tracking number? Thanks.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Every item I mail is with stamps, the last one yesterday. he is full of BS. Do a bit of research, get a number and report this while suggesting Canada post upgrade the training of it's agents.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@supersavingsstore wrote:
I've seen people use stamps to mail parcels at my local PO as well. I'm just curious what the advantage is over paying for the parcel service? Do you still get a tracking number? Thanks.

If you are paying for a trackable service with stamps, you still get a tracking number.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@supersavingsstore wrote:

You are paying for the parcel service with stamps as cash equivalent.

You do have to bring it to the counter and get the parcel processed. Labels will be added with the tracking number and additional postage if not enough stamps are on the package.  Be sure to present your Solutions for Small Business card to get the over-the-counter discount.

Advantages:

* If you are a small seller who is not registered to collect sales tax, you will save the sales tax on the stamp portion of the shipping price. Savings of 5% to 15%

* You can buy discounted unused stamps (ebay, auctions, estates) and save an additional 10%-35% (the amount varies depending on your buying skills)

Disadvantages:

* Takes time to apply stamps to your parcel

* You have to take the parcel to a post office/outlet and hope the clerk was trained to deal with stamps

* math skills are useful (or a good calculator or spreadsheet)

* if you put too many stamps on the parcel the difference is not refunded

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Side benefits:

I collected stamps as a kid, I find it fun to catch (buy) and release (use) stamps

Of note:

For 2020 the "face" value of a Permanent (P) stamp is 92 cents when used on a parcel.

-..-

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Thanks, pretty much what I figured.

No sense in reporting it, others have, nothing happens. I'll just take my business elsewhere.

I always use to mail things from the Main Surrey PO, they were awesome. I may start going there again even though it's out of my way unless I find another decent outlet nearby.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

yes, stamps are basically cash,  after they weigh and process the package, they count the dollar amount of stamps, and put that into the system, if there is a shortage they print a postal sticker for the difference, then , they print your labels, one for postage if needed, and one for tracking..

For what it is worth, stamps from 80 years ago are still worth face value on a package..

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I wish the on  line printing utility had a place to deduct applied stamps. It is worth going to the post office though as I get all my postage for about 50% off.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Envelopes and parcels with stamps get opened more quickly than others, so many charities use stamped envelopes for their mail campaigns.

More importantly you can buy mint never hinged stamps for postage here on eBay at substantial discounts.  There are some reallynice stamp deals available.sunglasses

And it would be a good idea, next time you are in the local Post Office, to ask for the postmaster and explain your problem to her. The real postal workers are not too thrilled by the postal outlets to begin with and negative reports are very likely to be added to the private outlet's performance review.

Also Yelp reviews. Some shop managers read them.

MAILED WITH STAMPS 1.jpeg

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@esclyons 

The Dominion of Canada has never demonetized a stamp, so long as they are denominated in decimal currency.

In fact, as part of their deal in entering Confederation in 1949, Newfoundland which was bankrupt, made Canada agree to accept their stamps (and I think currency, you would know better than me) at par with Canadian .

When we were first married, I would mail the household bills with Newfie stamps because DH could buy them so much cheaper than even older Canada.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply