Streamlined from search results for no reason

Hey there

I'm selling those items # 294914560113 / 294843056384 and noticed after researchs that ebay remove them from search results for no reason

Searching 'graded card sleeves' which will the most common search, with filter lowest price + shipping, they are both streamlined out

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=graded+card+sleeves&_sacat=0&_sop=15

I noticed i started losing sales on them and probably because of it. Any idea? I started to try to tweak titles but they still stay hidden

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's happening because eBay changed something in the search that makes searches more targeted. It's hard to explain but I can show an example. You don't want to really use a bunch of keywords anymore and you want to just get to the point as clean as possible.

Your item title is "Beckett Shield: Repack of 10 Graded Card Sleeves New"

Now when I search graded card sleeves it doesn't even show yours but if I search Beckett Shield only then yours comes first.

This means the search is targeting only the first few words and hiding many listings outside of that. So you will want to change your title to something like "Graded Card Sleeves Beckett Shield Repack of 10" or "Beckett Shield Graded Card Sleeves Repack of 10" to target that specific search better.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Hi,

I checked for you with only "graded card sleeves" in description and both of yours came up (within the first 5 items shown!)

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

This is strange actually they appear into best match, but not with the lowest price + shipping filter for me, i tested logged out too. You checked with the lowest price + shipping filter?

The ones you see are the 'repack' in title ones too? Cause i have 2 other similar listings that have no problems. Thinking about it maybe ebay see them as dupplicate listings

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I see seven with my usual Search which is Highest Price plus Shipping.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I see seven with my usual Search which is Highest Price plus Shipping.

@rocketscollectibles 

@msau4301 

Search no longer works as effectively as it did in the past. 

Test:   Angry Bird Radio    or  Angry Birds Radio

My results: Incognito

angry birds radio: Search Result | eBay

You can also try incognito/invisible mode.

I tested this item when i listed over a month ago with similar results.  Enjoy!!!

Fairly confident women's undergarments should not show up for an Angry bird radio search.

As per always results may vary with each test.

Have been seeing whackadoodle with many routine searches  since IS was blown to smithereens August 2021. 

My off a cliff drop in sales confirms.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Yes, I searched with Best Match (my usual setting). It was the "repack" ones I saw, the ones you mentioned in the first question.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I just re-checked and the regular (not repacked ones) are there too for me.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I typed in your search words using lowest price and those listings came up as the first 2 results.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Lol....I just saw similar lingerie listings when I searched up a vintage Barbie item. At least that makes a little more sense than Angry Bird Radio!! I don't know what's happening anymore, just thankful anyone has even found any of my stuff! But like you not as much as before! My repeat buyers are keeping me afloat!

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I typed in your search words using lowest price and those listings came up as the first 2 results.

When I test as signed in my items come up either on top or down slightly.  When I tested on dot com using an exact word match first try my item came up 8th using closest.  Are you seeing the non related results? The concern is buyers seeing bad info and not scrolling. Not everyone searches the same way.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Sorry, I just realized that I was using a US address when I searched so I searched again.

With a US address, those listings were the top 2 on both .ca and .com

With a Canadian address on .com they were still the top 2

With a Canadian address on .ca I had to click on 'see more results' at the top of the page in order to see those two listings.  That is odd as when using price lowest, I would expect to see the lowest price automatically.  

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

With a Canadian address on .ca I had to click on 'see more results' at the top of the page in order to see those two listings. That is odd as when using price lowest, I would expect to see the lowest price automatically.

This is exactly what happenning. Did everyone searched as canadian on .ca? This is my target

Do you guys think that because of my other graded sleeves listings, it could be because the algorythm see them as dupplicates? Should i end listing and relist? Use homemade pictures?

I suspect it cost me sales past weeks. It's obvious if people who look for the cheapest can't see the cheapest option but my competitor

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I was using the .ca site. I tried again and I see them no problem with Best Match, but when I use lowest price it doesn't show them. I don't get why. (?) I can't address how the algorythm works (one of life's great mysteries).

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

It's happening because eBay changed something in the search that makes searches more targeted. It's hard to explain but I can show an example. You don't want to really use a bunch of keywords anymore and you want to just get to the point as clean as possible.

Your item title is "Beckett Shield: Repack of 10 Graded Card Sleeves New"

Now when I search graded card sleeves it doesn't even show yours but if I search Beckett Shield only then yours comes first.

This means the search is targeting only the first few words and hiding many listings outside of that. So you will want to change your title to something like "Graded Card Sleeves Beckett Shield Repack of 10" or "Beckett Shield Graded Card Sleeves Repack of 10" to target that specific search better.

Hope this helps

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

This means the search is targeting only the first few words and hiding many listings outside of that. So you will want to change your title to something like "Graded Card Sleeves Beckett Shield Repack of 10" or "Beckett Shield Graded Card Sleeves Repack of 10" to target that specific search better

I have another similar listing 'Beckett Shield: 100 Graded Cards Resealable Sleeves Pack New' and this one is not streamlined at $9.99. The repack of 10 had the same exact title pattern before i tweaked it but starting with 'repack of 10' instead of '100'

I'll try to swap the quantity later in the titles to see but this is still strange. And scary cause this means that we can be pushed out the searchs with an accurate title. Who knows how many listings we have that does not appear in the searchs now

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

I fixed it! So we must very cautious with our titles with this search engine

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

This is good to know since I tend to get a little wordy in my titles, guess should try and keep it short and sweet!

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

This is good to know since I tend to get a little wordy in my titles, guess should try and keep it short and sweet!

Along with titles, going forward (as per Spring Update) you may also need to be concerned about  item(s) and their original category either being retired and/or reclassified. See attached links. How this affects long running listings will be wait and see.

Starting in May 2022, if you listed an item in an affected category and your listing is impacted by the changes, eBay will automatically move your listing to the most relevant category. As a result of the changes to the category structure, if your listing is moved to a different category, you may experience a change in the fees (either an increase or decrease). See new category changes.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2022-spring/listing.html 

https://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/categorychanges/preview2022.html

Full Spring Update:

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2022-spring/index.html

-Lotz

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Thank you lotz! It looks like collectible toys will be effected (though I can't find it on the huge listing page but I'll look more thoroughly later). I've made a note of May 17th! I usually only have about 30 listings going at a time so hopefully will be able to keep it under control 😬 

I'll scurry to get more stuff up over the next week or so to beat the date for some.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

Thank you lotz! It looks like collectible toys will be effected (though I can't find it on the huge listing page but I'll look more thoroughly later). I've made a note of May 17th! I usually only have about 30 listings going at a time so hopefully will be able to keep it under control 😬 

I'll scurry to get more stuff up over the next week or so to beat the date for some.

Have a little over 1200..Will affect 20 to 30 %. Not sure if it will be in a good way. Too bad besides CSV reports there wasn't something better to figure out the ones that have been "eBay modified"?

-Lotz

Message 20 of 20
latest reply