Suggestion to EBAY's shipping policy.

As most Canadian sellers know Canada Post shipping is exuberantly expensive. It's actually the MOST expensive postal service in the G20. The shipping cost for sending a 4 x 8 x 1/2 inch bubble pack under 100 grams with tracking is a as follows.

In Canada $8 to $12 depending on location using Venture1 SBE product.

To the US $16+ Tracked Packet (varies slightly)

International $36-$45 Using Tracked Packet but is limited to approx. 20 countries worldwide and still expensive.

International $60+ (approx.) Using Expresspost

One has the option of international surface but it's no cheaper than tracked packet and ridiculously slow. You are not allowed to use international registered mail for anything other than paper. Which really makes no sense because what it means is that you can send a banknote via registered mail but not a coin. In contrast most deliveries from Europe for the same size shipment are in the range of $10-$15 tracked and signed for. One can also ship the same envelope size anywhere in the world from the US for around $10.

While using tracking for more expensive items internationally (and domestically) makes sense, having to assign $35+ shipping (even $60 to some destinations) for an item worth $30 pretty much eliminates that destination. Which for all intensive purposes eliminates world wide trade for Canadian Ebay sellers for items under $50-$75 unless they take risk.

I would like to see a couple of things Ebay do.

1. Allow the buyer to decide how they want the item shipped and assume the consequences of that choice. Basically have some shipping choice (which is already done today by some sellers) with a clear policy behind that choice. As a buyer you're protected if you chose the tracked option, not if you don't.

2. Somewhat unrelated to above, but it should already be in place with the existing system. Add a specific "reason" parameter  when refunding buyers who claim a delivery loss. Something like "lost shipping". And have that parameter automatically raise a flag with Ebay when surpasses certain % criteria. This may curtail some buyers who chronically "lose" shipments.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

While using tracking for more expensive items internationally (and domestically) makes sense, having to assign $35+ shipping (even $60 to some destinations) for an item worth $30 pretty much eliminates that destination. Which for all intensive purposes eliminates world wide trade for Canadian Ebay sellers for items under $50-$75 unless they take risk.

Yes, you're absolutely right, for all intents and purposes, anything of lower value and/or higher weight is no longer reasonable to sell overseas, particularly with the 26% Canada Post increase on Light Packet and oversize letter-post.  Sad but true.  This is why many sellers may no longer list certain items internationally. 

"I would like to see a couple of things Ebay do.

1. Allow the buyer to decide how they want the item shipped and assume the consequences of that choice. Basically have some shipping choice (which is already done today by some sellers) with a clear policy behind that choice. As a buyer you're protected if you chose the tracked option, not if you don't."

This sounds reasonable on the face of it, but will never happen on eBay, in my view.  EBay is already moving far away in the opposite direction -- guaranteeing buyers get their purchases quickly regardless of the shipping option, and encouraging sellers to use tracking.  With open cases for INR soon being counted against sellers, shipping issues are only going to get more critical for sellers.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

1. Allow the buyer to decide how they want the item shipped and assume the consequences of that choice. Basically have some shipping choice (which is already done today by some sellers) with a clear policy behind that choice. As a buyer you're protected if you chose the tracked option, not if you don't.

I disagree. Although there are some buyers that take advantage of non tracking options, there are also sellers that will take advantage of a situation like that. In the long run, the seller is the one who benefits financially from the sale so they should be the one taking the risk. Plus...I am not positive, but I believe that it is actually law that a purchase belongs to the seller until the buyer receives it so refusing to refund a buyer that says they haven't received their parcel might be against the law.

2. Somewhat unrelated to above, but it should already be in place with the existing system. Add a specific "reason" parameter  when refunding buyers who claim a delivery loss. Something like "lost shipping". And have that parameter automatically raise a flag with Ebay when surpasses certain % criteria. This may curtail some buyers who chronically "lose" shipments.

Apparently, ebay already does keep track of buyers who make a large number of claims and in some cases, they will limit their purchasing ability.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Pj. I suspect that although it may apply within Canada (although I don't know if suck a consumer law exists), it certainly wouldn't apply or be enforceable internationally. I see no issue with a buyer assuming the risk for cheaper shipping should he/she chose. I've done it as a buyer before.

On the 2nd issue, Ebay DOES NOT specifically track refund cases by "lost in transit" as a reason. It should.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Plus...I am not positive, but I believe that it is actually law that a purchase belongs to the seller until the buyer receives it so refusing to refund a buyer that says they haven't received their parcel might be against the law.

I can clarify this.  In commercial law, in "real-world" transactions, the sold item belongs to the buyer once the contract is signed and the money (consideration) is paid to the seller -- sometimes these two events take place at different times and/or places. 

However, the item is usually stated to be at the risk of the seller up to an agreed closing time and date, after which it is at the risk of the buyer.  This is usually the case where it isn't practical to immediately hand the item over to the buyer when the money is exchanged (e.g., a large piece of machinery, or real estate).  It's a common misconception that this obligation of risk is equivalent to ownership, but it is not.  Once the contract is signed and the buyer pays, legal ownership changes even if the seller still has physical possession of the item or property.

This is where insurance comes in.  Generally commercial contracts contain clauses which stipulate that the seller is obligated to insure the item up until the agreed closing date and time, and usually insurance terms are imposed on the seller (replacement value, even insurer type or location, etc.).  Failing to insure (or properly insure) is a breach of the contract on the part of the seller and a cause for legal action on the part of the buyer if the item is lost or stolen, because the buyer is at law the owner of the lost or stolen goods.

EBay has tried to make its world analogous -- the "signature" on the "contract" is the buyer's act of hitting the "Commit to Buy" button (i.e. commit to pay).  However, there is (as yet) no obligation on an eBay seller to keep the item insured until it's in the buyer's hands - and that's where things can get a bit sticky on eBay.

For example, if the buyer doesn't follow through with payment, under contract law, whose item is it?  It is, strictly speaking, the seller's if the buyer has breached his contract and not made payment.  However, if the buyer has paid, it is the buyer's item, he owns it, but it is still at the seller's risk until delivered into the buyer's hands. 

Hence if a seller ships an item to a buyer who has paid, and that item is lost or stolen, the seller is (strictly speaking) obligated to repay the buyer's money (refund), or replace the item under his contract with the buyer.  It becomes a more complicated equation if a buyer claims to have not received the item, but the seller claims to have shipped and insured it properly.  In "real world" contract law, usually the insurer steps in and investigates the loss, taking statements from both parties. 

In the eBay world, eBay says the onus is on the seller to prove delivery in any case of complaint.  So, tracking and insurance are in order if a seller wants to protect him/herself, or the seller must be prepared to refund. 

EBay is very much its own legal world where the activities between buyers and sellers on the site are concerned.  Realistically, unless you're buying such a valuable item that you could pay a law firm to pursue a claim against a seller for loss or non-delivery (or refusal to refund), real-world legal remedies between contracting parties are virtually meaningless.  EBay's own rules are effectively the "law" for users of this site, and the "judgments" for breach or non-performance are in the form of seller performance ratings or restrictions/removal, and buyer restriction/removal.  Users have to act accordingly.   

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I agree that whether such a law exists or not,  it would be difficult to apply domestically and impossible to apply internationally. It should also be noted that SIGNIFICANT amount of shipping on Ebay is done without tracking. Ebay's hypocrisy is astounding. 

"Make sure you provide tracking BUT don't stop shipping items without it because we will loose revenue".  If Ebay was serious about what it preaches it  would ban the practise of un tracked shipping. It would be easy enough to do from a systems point of view.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

I agree that whether such a law exists or not,  it would be difficult to apply domestically and impossible to apply internationally. It should also be noted that SIGNIFICANT amount of shipping on Ebay is done without tracking. Ebay's hypocrisy is astounding. 

"Make sure you provide tracking BUT don't stop shipping items without it because we will loose revenue".  If Ebay was serious about what it preaches it  would ban the practise of un tracked shipping. It would be easy enough to do from a systems point of view.  

I don't think I am the exception to the rule. It seems to me, that ebay and Canada Post are both shooting themselves in the foot. While I have more faith? that ebay at least does cost analysis, my feeling is they will be wrong. 

Canada Post made an active decision to charge almost twice for tracking and deliver confirmation. They instituted a bar code system for all items but specifically left tracking out of the cheapest item and erase all information online about it. It is clear that the barcode system to ship untracked is the same barcode for tracked, therefore a policy and not cost decision to charge almost 2x for tracking.

Ebay has made an active decision to use tracking as the major means verifying deliveries in a dispute. This is OK, IMHO. The problem I have is the penalties and threats of limitations and suspension due to non delivery when a seller sends untracked are extremely biased against the seller, when clearly, as Canada Post can attest, getting rid of insurance on non tracked items, that the vast majority of item not received claims when no tracking is used, was from the buyers taking advantage of this 'loophole' in policy. Ebay has tightened up on these claims, but I would still be the majority of item not received claims, at least from Canada, when shipped without tracking are due to buyer fraud.

As a result, not out of malice but simply numbers, I have quit buying items on ebay where I cannot recover the cost, repair, profit and $15 in shipping for each item.

I have stopped selling items that will not sell without being able to tack on $15 in shipping (either in whole, part, or incorporating into the sell price for 'free shipping')

For an item that sells for $10, sending tracked vs, non, is about a 70% premium. For a $20 item, it's about 35%. Combine this with all the other risks and costs of business, it is hardly feasible to sell any item under $20. 

I believe this will mean less revenue for ebay and less revenue for Canada Post.

At one time, increasing customer service, increasing services, and lowering costs, was a business model. Now it seems they just take the cost, and increase it. If business slows, increase the cost.....repeat.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I agree with much of what you've said.  EBay wants sellers to sell internationally, yet they penalize sellers for doing so by making the consequences of non-delivery so harsh and the parameters so stringent.  As you say, Canada Post certainly hasn't helped. 

As an aside, I noticed the other day, somewhere amongst the 2014 seller information, that eBay was crowing about having extended the GSP system to 40 countries! 

Are the two strategies connected?  Considering eBay's largest seller base is probably (my guess) divided between China (who I understand already get heavy shipping subsidies from their government), and the U.S., it would benefit eBay to make international shipping so expensive and difficult for U.S. sellers that they might prefer to wash their hands of the responsibility and pay eBay/Pitney-Bowes to handle it.  This in fact is precisely how I notice eBay has been touting the GSP to U.S. eBay sellers. 

I'm not usually a "conspiracy theorist", but where there is money to be made, eBay will try to make it.  Perhaps seen from that perspective, increased postal costs are a win for them in the long run.  I wouldn't be surprised to see eBay create its own shipping service at some point.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Are the two strategies connected?  Considering eBay's largest seller base is probably (my guess) divided between China (who I understand already get heavy shipping subsidies from their government), and the U.S., it would benefit eBay to make international shipping so expensive and difficult for U.S. sellers that they might prefer to wash their hands of the responsibility and pay eBay/Pitney-Bowes to handle it.  This in fact is precisely how I notice eBay has been touting the GSP to U.S. eBay sellers. 

I'm not usually a "conspiracy theorist", but where there is money to be made, eBay will try to make it.  Perhaps seen from that perspective, increased postal costs are a win for them in the long run.  I wouldn't be surprised to see eBay create its own shipping service at some point.

I really don't think so Rose. Americans have the cheapest shipping in the world. Both domestically and internationally. And although that may change, you can still ship a tracked bubble pack envelope around the world for $10 bucks. GSP can't touch that.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

As a buyer you're protected if you chose the tracked option, not if you don't.

Should we be reading this as a possiblity but not the current situation? Because as things stand right now, buyers are not protected by tracking. Sellers are. If a parcel shows as Delivered anywhere (the neighbour's, left in mailbox but stolen, etc.) the buyer is out of luck.

you can still ship a tracked bubble pack envelope around the world for $10 bucks. GSP can't touch that.

GSP can. The US seller is only paying to ship, with cheap Delivery Confirmation, to Kentucky. Remember this is a 'Seller Protection' program, not intended to benefit the foreign buyer. All the rest of the cost, duty, tax, import fees are paid directly by the Buyer to PB and never seen by the seller.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Should we be reading this as a possiblity but not the current situation? Because as things stand right now, buyers are not protected by tracking. Sellers are. If a parcel shows as Delivered anywhere (the neighbour's, left in mailbox but stolen, etc.) the buyer is out of luck.

What I posted are suggestions. With respect to the later part of the statement, it would really only apply to a tracked item without a signature. There is also other recourse the buyer has with CPC in these RARE cases.

---------------------

GSP can. The US seller is only paying to ship, with cheap Delivery Confirmation, to Kentucky. Remember this is a 'Seller Protection' program, not intended to benefit the foreign buyer. All the rest of the cost, duty, tax, import fees are paid directly by the Buyer to PB and never seen by the seller.

Simply not true. Just because the buyer pays it, it doesn't make it cheaper. It doesn't matter who pays the overall cost. The only thing that matters is the bottom line cost in addition to the cost of the item. The only benefit is that as a seller you don't have to worry about it. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply