The things thrifty? loyal? OCD? CEOs sometimes do...

Thought it was time for a smiley kinda message... (PS Moderator this is  funny about selling stuff, don't move it away please)

The regulars will remember my celebration regarding my camera's 100,000 picture being taken.

Well it is up around 107,000 now but it is beginning to show its age.

Generally I have a "use it till it dies or I die" kind of mentality with technology (and most things to my wife's chagrin) so I'm nursing it along. I blame this on my Scottish heritage (my wife is more Scottish than me so I don't understand why she doesn't understand).

The camera is getting quite finicky around focusing and taking pictures because the wee button you push half way down to focus doesn't like to work so well anymore.

In a very roundabout way during some experiments to try to get it working better, I discovered that if I breathe on the button, it works perfectly (I presume because it warms it up a wee bit which makes the contact better). 

So I was chuckling at myself taking pictures yesterday by my big window, because my neighbour, who works in his backyard would be quite wondering why the guy next door looks to be breathing on the corner of his camera each time he goes to take a batch of pictures.....

PS you'll note I think we deserve to refer to ourselves as CEOs....

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

The things thrifty? loyal? OCD? CEOs sometimes do...

It might need cleaning for the electrical contacts. Get a can of electrical contact cleaner from an electronics supply store and spray a little around the button so it seeps inside. Then press the button on and off a lot. Remove the battery first so you don't cause another issue with the camera.

I used this contact cleaner many times to make buttons and switches work.

Once I had the power window on the passenger side stay down in an old van I had. It was raining (Vancouver) and all I had was WD-40 handy. Sprayed into the button and it worked right away. Kept working for a year or more. Then I would clean that button with contact cleaner regularly to prevent it from not working.

PS WD-40 is not contact cleaner but cleaning contacts is listed as one of the many things to use WD-40 for in an emergency. I would suggest using real contact cleaner and not WD-40. 

Message 2 of 2
latest reply