Time to list in Canadian Dollars.

In the "good old days" eBay.ca has always recommended listing in US$ instead of Cdn$ on the basis that Canadian sellers would have more chance of success listing in US$.

Times are changing.

Today, during the Weekly Board Hour, eBay.ca advises:

"In a nutshell, according to our analysis, all Canadian sellers would either see a positive or neutral impact on their sales if they start listing in CAD. Essentially, our old data that suggested better sales for USD listings has been disproved. The SYI will be modified shortly to reflect this reality, and we've made the changes to the quick listing tool last week.

Additionally, we've started engaging with large Canadian merchants to recommend that they also list in CAD if possible."

Message 1 of 151
latest reply
150 REPLIES 150

Re: Time to list in Canadian Dollars.

So, Canadians see all Can $ listings in Can $ - That one is simple

Everyone one else will see the search in their currency?

However, when they open the item, they will see price and shipping in Can $ with their currency equivalent in brackets for each?

When they then open the shipping section, they will see price and shipping in Can $ with their currency equivalent in brackets for each at the top of the listing as before, but will see all the shipping details as well as the discount (in the middle of the screen) only in Can $ with no conversion?

If they then add multiple items to the cart, and assuming it will work, does it automatically convert the amount of each additional item to their currency when they pay?

Message 81 of 151
latest reply

"does it automatically convert the amount of each additional item to their currency when they pay?"

Yes because while the buyer ends up paying in his currency, the listing is in Cdn$ and the seller receives Cdn$

So in transaction made of many listings, the total will be for example Cdn$50.00 for items, Cdn$15.00 for shipping, (Cdn$1.50) rebate for combining several items for a total of Cdn$ 63.50.

The seller would receive Cdn$ 63.50 (minus $0.30 and 2.9% PayPal fees) while the American (for example) buyer would pay approximately US$ 43.40.

If the buyer is overseas, the seller would pay PayPal another 1.00% cross border fee while the buyer total transaction (Cdn$ 63.50) would be converted in the currency of his country.

Message 82 of 151
latest reply

As you can see, it has been a long time since I listed in Can $

What I meant to ask in the last part of my previous post, does it convert the additional shipping amount (50¢) to their currency when payment is made for multiple items, not the price of the item itself (which I understood it would)?

Message 83 of 151
latest reply

Look at the example I show above.

Yes, everything + item + shipping - rebate is added up and converted .

For many sellers there will be a difficult learning curve.

The sooner Canadian sellers start planning their eBay business with tomorrow's reality, the better it will be.

Message 84 of 151
latest reply

Hence why I am starting today. The writing is on the wall and I expect it to arrive sooner than later. I plan to continue to list on .ca in Can $ and on .com in US $ until they cancel the US one. When that happens, I will move my US listings to my actual US ID, which may mean another store to save the 4% (if that is still available come spring)

Thanks for you help Pierre. 

PS: Did you know Bill Weiss from the US?

Message 85 of 151
latest reply

Totally agree with you....."perception" is almost everything. Same reason many prices are listed at  $ 999.99...Hey, It's LESS than a grand !

Message 86 of 151
latest reply

How does this helps us compete worldwide in any way at all? If my US competitor lists at 20$. And I want to list at 19.99$... I have to set my item at 26.12$ (for today) then keep adjusting every single day the dollar changes?

If it were only for Canada, I'd practically be selling absolutely nothing. The market for me is practically non existent. There's no need to impose this decision on everyone. It should be up to the individual seller.

Message 87 of 151
latest reply

Zombie thread. Most of the discussion is not very relevant to the current announcement.

If my US competitor lists at 20$. And I want to list at 19.99$... I have to set my item at 26.12$ (for today) then keep adjusting every single day the dollar changes?

Your US buyer will see the price in US dollars. And your German customer Searching dotDE will see the price in euros.

You will have to do a little massaging, but probably not daily.

Set the price at what you want to get in loonies, and don't fuss about what other currencies are doing. What you lose on the swings, you gain on the roundabouts.

The big advantage of listing on dotCA is using Canada Post shipping and services and choosing Calculated Rates.

For items that don't need this, mostly those that go LetterPost/LightPacket, you could just switch to dotCOM.

Message 88 of 151
latest reply

I also see the Ebay geniuses next step to be no more listing on .com if you are a registered Canadian seller, other than the free ones you are allowed. After all, we are the only country to be able to double dip

That also would then be the same for all countries across the board.

And then who knows what after that

Message 89 of 151
latest reply

All I can do is speak for myself. Whenever I have attempted to list my items in Canadian dollars my sales have suffered a 28% decrease, Why?, for the same reason the idiotic GSP was created. The US buyers and sellers are very uncomfortable in dealing with outside markets eg. Ebay.ca, Ebay.uk etc.... and even more they do not like change. They want to deal in their currency and they need the sale to be as simple and painless as possible. So what does Ebay do? A complete 180 on a 10 year old policy that I believe will put US buyers on edge, and thus my sales decrease. How long has it been that Canadians have persistently grumbled regarding ebays meddling and policy changes. I can only hope an alternative venue pops up from someone. The only way to ever get Ebay to listen to its members is by the appearance of a strong competitor willing and able to take them on.

THE EBAY DOLDRUMS 

Why oh why ebay,  do you care so little?

We’re all a bit tired of playing second fiddle

We buy, we sell and you only take

Thinking of new policies that give you more money to make

We write and complain, and suggest a better way

But the execs are too busy to come out and play

How long can you stick to the status quo

You have made us stagnant instead of helping our business grow

We’re no longer happy at the back of the bus

C’mon eBay and talk, we have lots to discuss

Why oh whay eBay, do you care so little

We’re sick and tired of playing second fiddle

Message 90 of 151
latest reply

All this will do is drive more Americans away from Canadian Listings <> which will mean Less sales and most sellers can not afford this at this time <> ANOTHER CHANGE for ebay to support BIG BOX STORES an drive the little guy out. 

I hope on eBay . com we will be able to access Canada post shipping to include in our listings??????????????????

Like really better ??????????? I do not think there is a seller out there offering vintage items to USA  & Canada that would sell more items in Canada most members I know it is 10 items to USA to 1 in Canada!!!!!!! or 90% VS 10%.

Message 91 of 151
latest reply

I wonder if the Ebay execs whom came up with this idea would be willing to be paid in Canadian dollars vs. US dollars? Of course if they were wanting USD they would have to switch to a different payroll system. However if they choose to be paid in USD we will have to charge them a surcharge on their pay for a conversion rate service. Oh yea...and they have no choice in the matter and if paid in Canadian dollars they will receive a decrease in pay. Delightful

Message 92 of 151
latest reply

This new policy is insane..Ebay.ca is a utter wasteland for domestic buyers/sellers.. In the 17 or so years i've been selling on Ebay a good 98% of my customers are from the US, the other 2 % split between Canada/Europe. The only advantage to listing on Ebay.ca was  there wasn't a shipping cap of items like cd/dvd's and between that and being able to sell in US funds (which of course one can just paypal out when the exchange is preferable) balanced out P/L.  And it does cause confusion with buyers when they see a different currency listed other than USD cause it will fluctuate in exchange even during the auction.  Myself i have to do a bit for second looking at auctions when they're listed in Euros, Pounds or Australian Dollars.

For myself i'll probably migrate most of my business back to Ebay.com and say hasta la vista baby to Ebay.ca

Message 93 of 151
latest reply

The sellers here (most, not all) really take the cake. GREED, GREED GREED. As a buyer, I refuse to buy from a Canadian seller who lists in US. I would love to see these wall light up, if Walmart ( or any other retailer ) started selling in US dollars in Canada. How many of you would be  then?!?

Get over it, people!

Message 94 of 151
latest reply

All I can do is speak for myself. Whenever I have attempted to list my items in Canadian dollars my sales have suffered a 28% decrease,

When you have listed them in Canadian, how long did you let the listings run and how many listings?

When you figured out the decrease, was it based on sales from the previous week, month, same time previous year.....??

This is just for my own info. I'm not convinced that Canadian dollar listings are better but I'm also not convinced that Canadian dollar listings are a bad thing so when someone says that they've tried it...I am curious if they tried it once for a few days or a month or...?

Message 95 of 151
latest reply

Ditto.  I tried for like a month years ago when Ebay.ca was new and i barely got any sales.

Message 96 of 151
latest reply

I wouldn't talk there..  45rpm single shipping to the US $10 !?. Easily can be done securely with light packet.. so you're padding your shipping dude.

Message 97 of 151
latest reply

@mewfy-mewf wrote:

Ditto.  I tried for like a month years ago when Ebay.ca was new and i barely got any sales.

I'm not sure when eBay.ca started but it was more than 10 years ago and a lot has changed in ecommerce since then so the results for listing in Cdn$ may have changed too.

Message 98 of 151
latest reply

What is Ebay.ca thinking. They want us to sell in Canadian dollars As sellers we spend thousands of dollars on ebay monthly paying their fees. Now they are going to cut our business to less than 1/4 of what it has been, as we have been selling 75% of our product to the USA . Hello--ebay--you are going to cut your profits by 75%--are you stupid!@#@!

With our currency up and down (thanks Justin) lets at least have the stability of the USA dollar to stay competitive

If I set a price at $20.00 US, it will stay at $20.00 and that's what my US buyers will see no matter what happens with the Canadian dollar. 

If I list an item in $Cdn today and the currency rate changes in a week, or a month, I going to have to spend all my time adjusting my Canadian prices and watching the currency fluctuations in order to maintain some semblance of a steady equivalent $US price.  

There is a good reason the USA $ is the gold standard of the NA economic world -- everybody outside the US understands what their currency is worth in relation to it from day to day,

Message 99 of 151
latest reply

Two very different sellers mewfymewf and mytractorparts, making a sensible decision based on their own experience.

Although mewfy mewf sells mostly jpop cds and mytractorparts sells, umm, tractor parts, it makes sense for them to move to dotCOM.

But not because of currency, although it does simplify that a little.

Because of shipping,

Mewfymewf, as has been pointed out, can ship his CD*s by LetterPost/LightPacket which is a fixed cost to anywhere in the USA and the few other sales are close to irrelevant. And to avoid the stupid $4 media shipping cap* on dotCOM he can start using Free Shipping which just means including the $3-$5CDN in the asking price for the discs.

And mytractorparts already includes her shipping costs in her asking prices, offering her listings as Free Shipping.

For both sellers the advantage of being able to use Canadian Calculated Shipping is unnecessary. And in my opinion, the real advantage of using dotCA is being able to use Calculated Shipping for bulky or heavy parcels.

*Mewfymewf,--you may want to continue listing your bulkier items on dotCA just to cover yourself on parcel rates, which can jump amazingly on a cm or a gram.

Message 100 of 151
latest reply