Time to list in Canadian Dollars.

In the "good old days" eBay.ca has always recommended listing in US$ instead of Cdn$ on the basis that Canadian sellers would have more chance of success listing in US$.

Times are changing.

Today, during the Weekly Board Hour, eBay.ca advises:

"In a nutshell, according to our analysis, all Canadian sellers would either see a positive or neutral impact on their sales if they start listing in CAD. Essentially, our old data that suggested better sales for USD listings has been disproved. The SYI will be modified shortly to reflect this reality, and we've made the changes to the quick listing tool last week.

Additionally, we've started engaging with large Canadian merchants to recommend that they also list in CAD if possible."

Message 1 of 151
latest reply
150 REPLIES 150

Well............

If I list a vintage radio for $100.00 in US funds - it is $100 to a US buyer.

But........

If I list it for $120.00 Canadian - it is still a listed price of $120.00.

I don't think that US buyers are that discriminating - they will just see $120.00.

When......

It could have been $100.00

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 2 of 151
latest reply

"they will just see $120.00."

Actually this is not what the American buyers will see on eBay.com.  They will see $100.00

To test it, I entered "Bluenose NH" in the search box (knowing most listings would be from Canadian sellers) and this is what I see:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5468.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC2.A0.H0.Xbluenose+nh.TRS0&_...

As you can see, the search result list on eBay.com shows the US$ equivalent, not the original listing price in Cdn$

Now, if you click on a listing, you will get both the original price in Cdn$ and the equivalent in US$.

Message 3 of 151
latest reply

Ok - then given that they are all odd dollar numbers - something I don't like.

Then what is the point?

Message 4 of 151
latest reply

"What is the point?"

"according to our analysis, all Canadian sellers would either see a positive or neutral impact on their sales if they start listing in CAD. Essentially, our old data that suggested better sales for USD listings has been disproved."

That is the claim from eBay.ca.

Message 5 of 151
latest reply

If an item is listed in Cdn. Dollars and it is purchased by a U.S. buyer, do they then have to pay a fee to Payal for converting their funds into Cdn. dollars? I could be wrong, but I thought I read on the .com board that it costs more when buying outside of the U.S. using American dollars. Anyone know if this is so?
Message 6 of 151
latest reply

I know I just started selling a couple of months ago, but ever since my first listing, I always offered in CAD.

Just thought it was easier for me.

Cheers:)

Message 7 of 151
latest reply

The only thing I don't like is I have certain price points I want the item to be in US$ (Like $14.99 or $19.99)

Sure if I list something today at $18.00 Canadian, it will show as $14.99 US$

But tomorrow it will be $14.96 or $15.04, it will end up being odd numbers based on where the US/C ratio is......

Message 8 of 151
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"What is the point?"

"............. our old data that suggested better sales for USD listings has been disproved."

That is the claim from eBay.ca.

"DISPROVED": I would really like to see the data on that - but I really doubt that there actually is any.

Message 9 of 151
latest reply

"do they then have to pay a fee to Payal for converting their funds into Cdn. dollars?"

Whenever PayPal (or a bank) converts one currency into another, they charge a fee (typically 2.5% or so).  In most instances, the buyer and seller do not see the conversion fee.  It is built in the rate charged or given.

For example, if you are a Canadian buyer and are purchasing an item in US$ - assuming the wholesale conversion rate that day is US$1.00 = Cdn$ 1.25, the Canadian buyer would pay approximately Cdn$ 1.28 (which includes the conversion fee).  The seller (if Canadian wanting to receive Cdn$ from PayPal) would receive approximately Cdn$1.22 (which includes the conversion fee), if the seller is American then no currency conversion would take place.

Similarly, if an American buyer purchases an item listed in Cdn$, the buyer would pay approximately US0.82 for every Cdn$1.00 (that rate of $0.82 includes the conversion fee).  In such instance, the Canadian seller would not pay any conversion fee.

Please note that US$1.00 = Cdn$ 1.25  and  Cdn$ 1.00 = US$ 0.80 are exactly the same.

Message 10 of 151
latest reply

"In most instances, the buyer and seller do not see the conversion fee.  It is built in the rate charged or given."

That's true in most situations. But when a buyer sees the conversion in their own currency on ebay, do they see the amount before the conversion fee is added in or after?  I thought that it was before but I haven't figured it out lately.

Message 11 of 151
latest reply

" I thought that it was before "

That is correct.

On all eBay sites (eBay.ca, eBay.com, eBay.uk, eBay.au, etc...) if the currency of the listing is different from the currency of the site, the equivalent values shown are converted based on the wholesale conversion rate in effect that morning (no conversion fee included). 

When payment is made (or received), PayPal will add its conversion fee to the amount paid by the buyer (if currency conversion is required) and will deduct its conversion fee from the amount going to the seller (if currency conversion is required). 

The rate of exchange is adjusted several times a day, depending on currency market conditions.

This explains why a Canadian buyer may see (for example) a price of US$100.00 (Cdn$125.00) and find the PayPal account was actually charged $128.00 including conversion fee - give or take a dollar either way to account for currency fluctuations that day.

The same is true in reverse where the Canadian seller would only receive Cdn$122.00 on the same US$100.00 transaction - give or take a dollar either way to account for currency fluctuations that day.

Message 12 of 151
latest reply

Been obvious to me for ages that their old "15% more likely to sell in US$" they've claimed for 10~ years was way out of date and they hadn't studied in since despite what they'd say on the chat when asked.  Many of the biggest sellers in Canada have been listing in CAN$ for years

Message 13 of 151
latest reply

I don't believe its the "exchange rate that  makes CAN$ look cheaper in US$" that they ended with though, that doesn't make any sense.  Its the USPS and CP changes year after year that have continually further advantaged domestic sales and especially hurt US>Canada competition

Message 14 of 151
latest reply

I list all my items in US and have been doing so for a long time Most of my items go to the US and very little to Canada. The extra exchange rate makes up for the high shipping costs from Canada. & keeps me close to the US sellers.

Message 15 of 151
latest reply

Ebay analyst claims that bla bla bla bla.

If anyone still believe the nonsense that comes from those guys mouth then they also provide a very nice link on how to improve selling here on ebay....LOL

Some peeps are just gullible beyond belief!

This is simply one more underhanded tactic by ebay in trying to direct the selling/buying in the direction they wish for. Doubt very much that any real data is backing any of this crock up.

Couple weeks ago same ebay rep claimed that dot ca site was barely a drop in an ocean of buying/selling, and now states that they have been studying the single drop.......sure!

These Wednesday  boards hours are useless and typically filled with misinformation or meaningless answer that provide no real solution whatsoever besides the advise to contact CSR.....lol

So believe what they say at your own risk!

Message 16 of 151
latest reply

"anyone still believe the nonsense..."

The real question is do you believe what eBay had been saying for fifteen years (without ever providing any evidence) that selling in US$ was more beneficial for Canadian sellers?

In this instance their comment must be true since you list in Canadian dollars!

Message 17 of 151
latest reply

All of my listings are in US dollars  and  they have always been in  US dollars.... never used Canadian dollars.

Two years ago   the US and Canadian dollars were close to equality.

Sales to US buyers dropped to 20 % in 2013... Postal rates to the US were adjusted  significantly by Canada Post... 

US buyers adjusted to the postal rates in  2014.. with US sales at about 27 % but very variable month to month.

Now at the start of 2015  the exchange rate was  $1.25 Canadian to $1.00 US.

Sales were definitely affected  as  the price in Canadian dollars was 25 % higher than that in US dollars.

At the beginning of 2015 there was a major readjustment in prices ....  US prices in all listings.

The US  price from 2013  became the Canadian dollar price for 2015.  Consequently all US prices were adjusted down   such that all Canadian prices were 25 % higher than the listed US dollar price.

As an example ...  the US dollar price was dropped from $50 to $40  and the Canadian dollar price was $50.  Al prices were adjusted in a similar manner

Shipping prices were also adjusted in relation to this 2015 exchange rate.

US buyers jumped in and were buying.....  and have continued   their buying   such that US buyers are at 36-37 % of all sales..

The critical thing here is that Canadian buying has not changed so far in 2015...

Playing the exchange rate  game  has been advantageous.

Does listing in US dollars help?....  It does if you play the exchange rate game.

-----------------------------------

If all the listings were in Canadian dollars.....   The Canadian dollar price would have not changed  from 2013 to 2014 and then to 2015.

and.... a price adjustment would not have been needed at the start of 2015....All prices in US dollars would have dropped as the exchange rate changed...

----------------------------------

However....  there was a time when the US dollar was close to $ 0.90 in relation to the Canadian dollar.... 

If all listings were in Canadian dollars then US buyers would be paying more.....

More than anything else... it is the exchange rate game......How the seller adjusts... and then Paypal... 

If eBay says Canadians must sell in Canadian dollars.....  then who benefits... It should always be the seller's choice.

Historically it was always the seller's choice....   How many people in the US understand the Canadian dollar?

Message 18 of 151
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"In a nutshell, according to our analysis, all Canadian sellers would either see a positive or neutral impact on their sales if they start listing in CAD. Essentially, our old data that suggested better sales for USD listings has been disproved. [...]"

I have some real issues with the logic of this statement.

The main problem I have with this comment is the word "all".  No prospective "analysis" can confirm that every Canadian seller will see either a positive or a neutral result by listing in $Cdn.  That is an impossibility.  They can only extrapolate from a statistical base made up of a finite number of actual test cases.  So this comment as it stands is rather nonsensical.  

Secondly, it's silly, in my view, to say the impact may be neutral.  If that's the case, then what's the argument against listing in $US?  That it is disadvantageous?  I find that hard to believe since US buyers will still account for a very large part of Canadian sellers' sales. 

Thirdly, we have no idea what demographic this conclusion is based on, or what type of Canadian sellers were involved in the "analysis".  This is so typical of eBay -- making a blanket statement without providing the underlying foundation that would help to make some sense of it. 

Accordingly, I wouldn't swallow this statement whole.  I think each Canadian seller has to discover through experimenting (or experience) which listing currency works best for their particular business model. Surely those of us who already know that the vast majority of our sales are to the U.S. would be better off not confusing our American buyers, but stick to listing in $US.  I think "KISS" works in this instance. 

The advantageous currency rate at the moment would make it seem reasonable that goods listed in $Cdn will appeal to US buyers.  However, there is the important "familiarity factor" where US buyers are concerned -- even though a search will show the converted price in $US for a .com buyer, I seem to recall that once the buyer clicks on a listing, both the $Cdn and the converted $US will be displayed.  I also agree with other posters here who feel that odd-looking price points could be a turn-off for buyers - not only that, but it gives the seller no control over how the price is actually displayed in search.  For sellers who like to adjust their pricing now and then, not knowing precisely what will be displayed as the $US converted price could be a big problem.   

This remark by Raphael is not going to cause me to have a knee-jerk reaction and change all my listings. Furthermore, all of my flat shipping rates are worked out based on $US -- what sort of havoc would that cause to have a mix of charges -- $Cdn for listing price but $US for shipping cost -- or have to change them all to $Cdn?  

Besides, I benefit from using my $US Paypal funds (i.e. no conversion fee on receipt from US buyers) to purchase many of my supplies directly in $US, saving a few dollars in conversion fees on that end as well. Every dollar I save is a dollar I can pass on to my customers in shipping reductions.  

Lastly, I'm afraid I've become suspicious of every unequivocal statement made by eBay.  My cynicism tells me there may be another purpose behind encouraging Canadian sellers to list in $Cdn.  What that is I can't guess, but my trust in such pronouncements is pretty low. 

Message 19 of 151
latest reply

I ran out of room to edit the above, but was going to add that there are two further problems I can think of in listing in $Cdn:

1)  A US buyer looking in search (or on a Watch list) at a Canadian seller's item listed in $Cdn may end up seeing a different price from day to day or week to week, depending on the fluctuations in the currency rates.  I'd rather not have that happen for my US buyers, who make up the majority of my customers.  

If I set a price at $20.00 US, it will stay at $20.00 and that's what my US buyers will see no matter what happens with the Canadian dollar. 

2)  If I list an item in $Cdn today and the currency rate changes in a week, or a month, I going to have to spend all my time adjusting my Canadian prices and watching the currency fluctuations in order to maintain some semblance of a steady equivalent $US price.  

For example, an item I list today for $122.00 Cdn. may display on .com as, say $100.00 US today, but if the $Cdn rises (or falls), the US equivalent may be more like $105.00 (a worse result) or $95.00 (a better result) respectively.  In either case, the Canadian seller is going to have to keep a close watch on how their item prices are being displayed on .com.  Simply put, I see the floating aspect of Canadian currency as a real issue if a seller who has a large proportion of US buyers expects to stay competitive. 

There is a good reason the good old greenback is the lingua franca of the economic world -- everybody outside the US understands what their currency is worth in relation to it from day to day, but I doubt most Americans are aware of the fluctuations in value of other currencies in relation to their own.  If a US buyer sees a (converted) price of $100.00 today, but $105.00 next week, what are they going to think -- a price hike, right? 

Message 20 of 151
latest reply