Transaction details numbers not fitting

Anyone understand why i'm doing a $11.00 + $2.25 US sale with supposed $1.00 taxes collected by eBay, and that in transaction summary/order details, it's $13.25 total with fees based on $13.50 (with shipping/handling $1.50)

Just trying to figuring out cause numbers does not fits that's weird to me

Item subtotalC $11.00
ShippingC $2.25
Sales tax (eBay collected)C $1.00
DiscountC $0.00
Total**C $14.25

Transaction summary
Order total
C $13.25
Total fees (includes GST/HST/QST)
-C $2.32
Net order proceeds
C $10.93

Fees based on
C $13.50

• Item price
    C $11.00

• Shipping and handling
    C $1.50

• Sales tax
    C $1.00

• Fees based on

•  
    C $13.50

• Total fees for item
    • Final Value Fee
      -C $1.67
      Variable percentage Toys & Hobbies category
      Rate for C $0.00 - C $7,500.00
      C $13.50
      12.35% =
      -C $1.67
      International Fee
      -C $0.05
      Frais facturés car l'adresse de livraison se trouve dans le pays suivant : États-Unis. Montant final : 13,50 $C
      Rate
      C $13.50
      0.4% =
      -C $0.05
Final Value Fee
-C $0.30
Per order fixed amount

Total fees
-C $2.02
GST/HST/QST
-C $0.30
Total fees (includes GST/HST/QST)
-C $2.32
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

First thing the fee base includes taxes collected so your example should add up to $14.25

HOWEVER

Your fee base is actually based on the Item total,  the Tax collect AND......

The lesser of the amount of DOMESTIC shipping or what the buyer actually paid.

I'd bet your  domestic shipping for the item sold is $1.50 (and I would win that bet).

Fees on shipping (now 10 years old) was always based on the lesser of the lowest domestic rate offered or the actual amount paid by the buyer. If you sell one of you "free shipping in Canada" items to a US buyer you would not pay any fees on shipping the US buyer paid.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

First thing the fee base includes taxes collected so your example should add up to $14.25

HOWEVER

Your fee base is actually based on the Item total,  the Tax collect AND......

The lesser of the amount of DOMESTIC shipping or what the buyer actually paid.

I'd bet your  domestic shipping for the item sold is $1.50 (and I would win that bet).

Fees on shipping (now 10 years old) was always based on the lesser of the lowest domestic rate offered or the actual amount paid by the buyer. If you sell one of you "free shipping in Canada" items to a US buyer you would not pay any fees on shipping the US buyer paid.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Fees on shipping (now 10 years old) was always based on the lesser of the lowest domestic rate offered or the actual amount paid by the buyer. If you sell one of you "free shipping in Canada" items to a US buyer you would not pay any fees on shipping the US buyer paid

Ok so this explain why fees were based on $13.50 cause yes my domestic shipping was $1.50 on this item. This is kinda weird tho i don't understand why fees are based on the domestic shipping cost instead of the actual shipping cost the US buyer paid

I did not knew that at all. It means that if we do a lot of US sales, we should use free domestic shipping... i don't understand the logic

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

This is kinda weird tho i don't understand why fees are based on the domestic shipping cost instead of the actual shipping cost the US buyer paid

I did not knew that at all. It means that if we do a lot of US sales, we should use free domestic shipping... i don't understand the logic

International shipping rates are generally higher than domestic shipping rates.  As Final Value Fees are charged on shipping fees as well as the item cost (and taxes collected by eBay, where applicable), how many sellers do you think would offer international shipping if they were charged FVF on international shipping rates?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

i don't understand why fees are based on the domestic shipping cost instead of the actual shipping cost the US buyer paid

It was intended as a perk and an incentive to do International shipping. The same policy applies to US sellers (maybe other countries as well).

When this first started only less that 5% of my sales were within Canada, these days it's about 20% so it's only on Overseas where this is much of a deal for me as my CA/US shipping charges are almost the same (more on some things)

The total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any other applicable fees. If you offer 1-day or international shipping as well as a cheaper or free option (like domestic shipping), the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the cheapest domestic option you offer.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822#section2

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If you offer 1-day or international shipping as well as a cheaper or free option (like domestic shipping), the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the cheapest domestic option you offer

I understand fees are based on the lowest shipping option. But what they mean by the offer 1-day shipping?

Not the most clear policy i must say

Edit: nvm i just realised and guess it's a shipping option i switched the link text to french

Message 6 of 6
latest reply