UPS label ripoff

Never used anything other than canada post for tracking and recently i had a box to ship. Canada post expedited was around $13 and there was UPS at $11. I decided to pick UPS.  Charge got took, $18!  Dimensions were took several times and i added like 250g to package to be safe. **bleep** is this? 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

UPS label ripoff

https://www.omnicalculator.com/other/dimensional-weight

Dimensional Weight Calculator

Welcome to the dimensional weight calculator! In the next few minutes, you will find out how to calculate dimensional weight. You will also learn how FedEx, USPS, and UPS dimensional weight calculators work and which courier delivery services you should choose.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

The FedEx and ups calculators on the US site account for dimensional pricing so I would 'guess' that the same would be true here on .ca.   Both couriers do have extra charges specific things such as oversize packages which isn't accounted for in the calculator. I'm sure there are a few different situations when they upcharge but I'm not sure where you would find a list.  There is some information on the UPS site as to when they add additional charges but I don't see an actual cost there.

https://www.ups.com/assets/resources/webcontent/en_CA/rate_guide_ca.pdf

For myself, I would probably avoid using a courier unless I was using my own account on their website.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

@brettjet38 wrote:

https://www.omnicalculator.com/other/dimensional-weight

Dimensional Weight Calculator

Welcome to the dimensional weight calculator! In the next few minutes, you will find out how to calculate dimensional weight. You will also learn how FedEx, USPS, and UPS dimensional weight calculators work and which courier delivery services you should choose.

Rocket has been selling for a while - I would imagine he knows what dimensional weight is.
Are you suggesting that eBay Labels isn't already taking the dimensional weight into consideration when purchasing a shipping label? I can't imagine any reason why they wouldn't.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

So far I've had no issues with UPS (in a limited number of labels since their nearest dropoff is about an hour away from me).  All packages have been either exactly what was quoted, or in one case, $2 less than the quote.

I do add an extra centimeter or 2 to the dimensions, make sure I measure the fattest part of the box and not the edges, and add a little extra weight just to be sure.  Fingers crossed, but so far so good.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

With eBay shipping, there are always issues depending on the browser. At one point you couldn't change the dimensions, every time you did it would revert to the presets, or give an error.

I never use UPS or FedEx, the surprise surcharges are legendary and have been for decades, and the costs.

Think about it, Canada Post employees are unaware of "Canada Post Expedited Lite" because it's an eBay thing.

They cannot even see the "Lite" service as an offered service when they look at the Canada Post website, I know I have friends who are Canada Post workers, you should have seen their faces when I told them about Expedited Lite...

What about "Claims" for items shipped via 'eBay shipping labels" another ongoing issue....

This poster is not the first to comment about surprise extra charges on UPS packages shipped using the eBay shipping label system...

Bugs, bugs everywhere, and they just recently cut the human workforce again in the US...

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

I agree with you that there definitely seems to be bugs with regards to how labels are being billed here (predominantly with couriers it seems), but I see no evidence that this is specifically related to dimensional/volumetric weights as you suggested in your original response.

It does seem like that might be the issue with the few Expedited Lite reports that have been close to the 200g threshold, but it's hard to tell what the issue is with these additional charges on FedEx (and now, apparently, UPS) labels. I wish someone at eBay would look into this a lot closer as it seems to be a longstanding issue.

Could it be related to dimensional weight? Sure, it's possible I suppose, but more importantly, why is this happening? Is there a disconnect between eBay Labels and the prices being offered by the couriers? Is this an issue with the automatic measuring equipment in use by the couriers? Are all users experiencing these additional charges simply incorrectly measuring/weighing their items (I find this hard to believe)?

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

I got hesitant at some point and wondered if maybe i just forgot about price. Then i just ran some tests... 

It was my camera sold on this actual account. You can look yourself at the size of the content. The label was a 2 pounds label and it was a small normal box.  

I exagerated every numbers in the test here and UPS still show around $14 for a 2KG at 50cm x 25cm x 20cm shipment. My shipment was like half this!  To the same adress (test run on the actual order). 

Capture.PNG

Then what i got charged 

Capture2.PNG

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

Won't fight for a few bucks but it's literally a scam 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

I got hesitant at some point and wondered if maybe i just forgot about price. Then i just ran some tests... 

If you go under Shipping Labels in the menus, you can click on the service (shipping details / cost) beside the label and it will show you the estimate. I assume that's the estimate you were given when you made the label, but I could be wrong about that.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

Well yeah. I also got actual proof that i purchased a label at $13.07. 

Capture.PNG
Edit: And don't tell me my dimensions must have been wrong. I prooved in my previous message that we can go almost twice the size i shipped and UPS still show $14 (they charged me $18). 

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

byto253
Community Member

Reading a couple of these threads with surpise shipping I feel lucky the couple I did in the fall went through for the rate initially charged. 

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

@byto253 wrote:

Reading a couple of these threads with surpise shipping I feel lucky the couple I did in the fall went through for the rate initially charged. 

@byto253 

Exactly. Seeing all the posts about this happening, it would be nice to hear an explanation of the why? And is eBay working to resolve/diagnose what can cause it to happen? One way or the other. Is it something sellers are doing wrong or is it at the eBay end?

-Lotz

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

Never used anything other than canada post for tracking and recently i had a box to ship. Canada post expedited was around $13 and there was UPS at $11. I decided to pick UPS.  Charge got took, $18!  Dimensions were took several times and i added like 250g to package to be safe. **bleep** is this? 

Hi @rocketscollectibles! I want to see if I can have the Shipping team look into this. Do you have the tracking number or item number for where this additional charge happened?  

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

devon@ebay
Is it possible for sellers to be able the reach the "shipping team" when dealing with erroneous surcharges that the shipping company won't solve for us because we purchased through eBay? Every time I contact customer service about a surcharge, I spend hours getting the runaround. Very frustrating!
Message 15 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

Tracking:  1ZC600612017022781

Exact numbers: Ebay sold as $13.07. Then UPS charged $18.04

Proved in a screenshot in previous posts that i could have entered a way bigger size of that shipment and ebay still show it under $15. In no way this $18.04 is legit. Or ebay do not show the right cost when we purchase on the platform. 

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

I had the same thing happen recently, and at very similar prices to what you've shown here.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

@teenytrinkets wrote:
devon@ebay
Is it possible for sellers to be able the reach the "shipping team" when dealing with erroneous surcharges that the shipping company won't solve for us because we purchased through eBay? Every time I contact customer service about a surcharge, I spend hours getting the runaround. Very frustrating!

Hi @teenytrinkets! I agree and it would be great if I could offer a solution that could sellers directly in contact with the Shipping team. At this time the team does not have the bandwidth to be able to offer a service such as that and I will continue to try my best to get shipping questions answered here on Community. I also still recommend to go through customer support channels when it comes to account specfic information that may not be able to be answered here on Community.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

Tracking:  1ZC600612017022781

Exact numbers: Ebay sold as $13.07. Then UPS charged $18.04

Proved in a screenshot in previous posts that i could have entered a way bigger size of that shipment and ebay still show it under $15. In no way this $18.04 is legit. Or ebay do not show the right cost when we purchase on the platform. 

Hi @rocketscollectibles! Thank you for this!  

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

UPS label ripoff

Hi Devon,

I have discovered that I was charged, by Fedex, a way higher amount than the confirmed price.   The confirmed price was C $18.06, but the charge on eBay mentiones C $41.41. 

Order number: 10-11020-17739
Tracking number: 788997913948

This is quite a rip off. Thank you for assisting with this.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply