US post is crashing & burning - Sellers Beware, 6-8 week delays = Chargeback Nightmare

Well, it was still going ok up until this past week. Our items are 99% sold to the USA, everything was getting there with the exception of a few that were delayed by 1-2 days. Then, we were hit with an item not received claim on a $145 usd item. Tracking was provided, we double checked it and saw that tracking fell off at the US Post International hub in Chicago. It showed the package sitting there for 2+ weeks with no movement. We got on the phone to the Chicago hub and were told that our package is in a shipping container... one of many many shipping containers sitting in a compound and backed up for an estimated 4 - 8 weeks. A USPS rep explained that it is Covid related, with less workers in the building and having to be spaced out and 6ft apart. I'm guessing there are also people just not at work due to illness, but thats just speculation. Regardless, the system is crashing and burning yet there has been no official word from USPS, and I'm sure eBay is fully aware of what's happening but they haven't had the sellers back for years, so why would they step up now.

Of course eBay has already stepped in and refunded this buyer in full, and of course he's still going to get that package in 4 - 8 weeks and have a nice FREE item at our loss.  We already have other packages in the system that will have to travel through the Chicago hub, so we're expecting more chargeback claims for item not received and no support from eBay or Paypal.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that this is happening and you will likely be in the same boat in the coming weeks. For us, we are forced to temporarily close up shop after 20years on eBay, until the USA gets their sh*t together.

Good luck to you all

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: US post is crashing & burning - Sellers Beware, 6-8 week delays = Chargeback Nightmare

USPS has been an utter disaster for my sales to the U.S. starting in March. I normally shipped "tracked packet USA" and then suddenly my shipped packages disappeared and were un-trackable. Eventually they all were returned to me over an 8 week period. Also tracked packet items were getting rejected by U.S. Customs for contents. I'm selling off a collection of 400 tobacco pipes from my uncle and over the past three years I've had no problems getting them through Customs until March 2020. Most my customers want the item still so I re-shipped using Expedited shipping through Canada Post. At that point U.S. Customs accepted all the same items they had rejected before. At first the Expedited sales were delivered, though slightly delayed. Now it's getting messy on Expedited as well. One of my latest deliveries was returned to me because they said the recipient didn't accept the package. In fact USPS didn't even bother to make an attempt at delivery and left no notice. USPS returned the shipment the day after it arrived at the zipcode. If notification had been left they hold for ten days or so. I'm going to have to switch to UPS or FedEx. This is a mess.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: US post is crashing & burning - Sellers Beware, 6-8 week delays = Chargeback Nightmare

Sorry for your issues but from my area things are moving out faster than I've ever seen. I have no idea why either.

Two weeks ago, dropped an item off at the post office via Tracked Packet. It stays in Canada for 3 daya. Then it was in Ohio and delivered on the 7th day. Last week 7 days exactly again to Los Angeles.

You mention Chicago but could it also be shipping method? Was it Expedited Parcel vs Tracked Packet?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Shipped a t-shirt from Ontario to California Aug 6th, still has not arrived. Also sat in Chicago for 2 weeks. Last time it was scanned was Aug 24th...Geez!!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I stopped listing. 😞

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

DH is expecting a valuable package from North Carolina.

The sender took it into the PO and was advised to take it to FedEx since the North Carolina PO was running about two weeks behind.

Guess where the USPS Postmaster General makes his home?

Whether he started locally or whether the workers are making a point is moot.

While FedEx is supposed to be moving fairly well, DH was in the belief that there would be no duty on his delivery.

Well, when he was actively working, his staff took care of details like paying the amazing FedEx brokerage charges.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I have a package being sent from the USA to Canada and it has been sitting in 

Jamaica, New York for over three weeks with no movement.  I have had some

other packages arrive but they were very, very late.  My plan at the moment

is not to buy or sell anything outside of Canada until things settle down.  The

postal system, USPS is at the best inconsistent and not worth taking a chance

on hit and miss.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply