Unable to complete U.S.A. Small Packet Air shipping label on PayPal

I use Shippo quite often and I haven't had any issues with that platform but, occasionally, if I'm on the PayPal website anyway, it just seems convenient to print a label there.  This is not an isolated incident.  It has happened every single time, on three different browsers, over the last two weeks.

For a 200 g U.S.A. small packet air:  After completing all the information and customs form, and then pressing "Confirm and Pay", I get the following message:

Unable to print the requested label at this time. The following error occurred:

Please provide a valid export reason. 

....every freaking time!!

(I have entered Other - CD or DVD or Cosmetics)

Thank goodness, we have Shippo.  I don't what the heck is up with PayPal.  Anyone else running into this problem or have figured out a work-around,

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I was having a lot of problems similar, several phone calls, they tried to help, but it didn't work. I finally worked out that my title description was too long, every since I have shortened the description, I have had no problems.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@triber wrote:

I was having a lot of problems similar, several phone calls, they tried to help, but it didn't work. I finally worked out that my title description was too long, every since I have shortened the description, I have had no problems.

Gosh, I've already shortened it to CD, or Blu-ray.  I'll keep trying from time to time to see if I can get one through or perhaps, if enough people raise this issue, they might examine it more closely.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Do you have the HS number ? Is that what they are looking for perhaps?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

What do you put in the 'package information' section? (Commercial Sample, Documents, Other).  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Oops, I misunderstood.  So you put other, then enter CD etc. correct?  What about just putting eBay Merchandise, or Sale of Goods.  And enter the CD or whatever in the other description box?  That's what we do and we do not have the problem.  

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Do you have the HS number ? Is that what they are looking for perhaps?

I did add the HS number.   I know a lot of sellers have stated that they never do that anymore .... that it isn't required.  But I still do.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@bassox333 wrote:

What do you put in the 'package information' section? (Commercial Sample, Documents, Other).  

This is the section that I put "Other".  Then I put CD, or whatever, in the description box.

I've always done this and had no problem until about two weeks ago.  So I've primarily been using Shippo, but once in a while, I'll try PayPal again.  Oh well ......  It's nice to see the money come out of your PayPal balance, but it's also easy to see how much is yet to be billed in Shippo, so I simply subtract that from my PayPal balance.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

When you enter your HS code, you need to put a dot after 4 numbers. Example: 4911.91 (for photos).

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

When you enter your HS code, you need to put a dot after 4 numbers. Example: 4911.91 (for photos).

Shippo automatically adds the period.  I've never entered it on PayPal and never noticed whether it's entered automatically.  I'll watch for it next time.  Thanks.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I always Paypal shipping and have never entered the period with no problem.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

Oh well ......  It's nice to see the money come out of your PayPal balance, but it's also easy to see how much is yet to be billed in Shippo, so I simply subtract that from my PayPal balance.

I got so fed up with having to balance my Shippo charges against my Paypal account that I finally contacted Shippo and complained about their delayed invoicing.  They were able to shorten the invoicing time so that now my Shippo label charges show up in Paypal usually the same day. 

That made a huge difference in being able to use Shippo conveniently, so you might try the same thing.  If you plan to do this, I'd say strike while the iron is hot, i.e. while Shippo is still keen on making changes to accommodate its eBay customers and still providing good customer service, because I think there will come a point where the service will taper off.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@jt-libra wrote:

Oh well ......  It's nice to see the money come out of your PayPal balance, but it's also easy to see how much is yet to be billed in Shippo, so I simply subtract that from my PayPal balance.

I got so fed up with having to balance my Shippo charges against my Paypal account that I finally contacted Shippo and complained about their delayed invoicing.  They were able to shorten the invoicing time so that now my Shippo label charges show up in Paypal usually the same day. 

That made a huge difference in being able to use Shippo conveniently, so you might try the same thing.  If you plan to do this, I'd say strike while the iron is hot, i.e. while Shippo is still keen on making changes to accommodate its eBay customers and still providing good customer service, because I think there will come a point where the service will taper off.

That's good to know, rose.  It never occurred to me that they would be willing to change their policy in this respect.  They bill every seven days now so I'll see what they can reduce it to.  I think if I had dozens of sales every week, like many sellers, the 7-day billing cycle could be unmanageable.  But I'll try to change it in the event my sales pick up for the holidays lol.

Thanks.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

@lady.stark wrote:

Shippo automatically adds the period.  I've never entered it on PayPal and never noticed whether it's entered automatically.  I'll watch for it next time.  Thanks.

Are you sure? Because they do not for me.

Anyway, as for PayPal, I remember having an error message similar (or maybe the same) to yours, and when I added the period, it worked. We did not have to enter it in the past though. Something changed around the time Shippo was introduced instead of PayPal.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@jt-libra wrote:

@lady.stark wrote:

Are you sure? Because they do not for me.

Anyway, as for PayPal, I remember having an error message similar (or maybe the same) to yours, and when I added the period, it worked. We did not have to enter it in the past though. Something changed around the time Shippo was introduced instead of PayPal.

Just to be sure, I checked the last few Small Packet U.S. labels (I keep a copy of every one) and they all show under HS Tariff Code a number like: 8523.40, when I had entered it without the period.

Since my post, I haven't had occasion to use PayPal.  The few sales I've had recently I've shipped lettermail within Canada, using postage stamps.  But the next U.S. sale I have, I'll try PayPal instead of Shippo and try adding the period.

Thanks.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply