Unauthorized chargeback - anyone tried to press fraud charges ?

Customer claims unauthorized use of credit card 2 months ago, but nothing came back. Customer does not reply to question. Anyone tried to press credit card fraud charges ? Which police agency if both buyer and seller are in Ontario ?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Who would be pressing fraud charges against?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Who do you think? Who is committing the fraud? it is not the bank, they only follow the policy.

This type of fraud has it's own classification but unfortunately it is largely unreported. I seek someone who actually took the time and did a report to please share the experience.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It appears this is federal matter. I will talk to RCMP.

http://www.dvpledgecriminallawyer.ca/what-are-the-penalties-for-credit-card-fraud-in-canada/

I don't believe they would mount full investigation for my case, but who knows, maybe they already have other 3 and need 4th to start one. Funny enough, the perp lives in a mansion, what a disgrace.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Turns out this is local police matter. So I was ready to visit local PD and press charges under criminal code article 380, but decided to call PayPal since they have more experience with credit card fraud. PayPal rep told me not to press charges just yet and give them chance to resolve this on my behalf, and provide all info about purchase even if there is no online tracking, there is still chance they can fight it off.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Do you have proof of shipping or not?

If you do you are a winner, PayPal take the hit and they are the ones defrauded, if they want to pursue the issue it's up to them.

If you don't have proof of shipping you will lose.

Of course you have no idea who is behind the fraud, it could be the person you shipped to or the cardholder which might or might not be the same person.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

PayPal told me to give them all info about purchase even if there is no online tracking and they would fight it and only press fraud charges after they are not successful.

Unresponsive buyer turned responsive now when I mentioned reporting to police, and claims he used his mother credit card and she did not recognize the charge and offered to pay money we lost. I had this still open when he replied. Obviously if charge-back is still in progress, there is no money lost yet, so I told him to have his mother call the bank and cancel the chargeback. Also informed PayPal of this message so they can relay it to the bank if she does not call them.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

All your experience, this is the first time this happened to you?  You are lucky.  But just giving you a heads up, the RCMP report is just that, a report.  Nothing else will come of it and you will never see your money again. Sorry. 

PS: that paypal investigation, just cost you $25-$30 for absolutely not protection.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Wow, you are lucky..   I just saw your last post now.  I have never been able to get the customer to respond.  Made lots of internet fraud reports and filed police reports in both local and customer city.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply