Understanding ebay for Charity?

There was a post about it earlier (https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Archive-1/Where-is-the-list-of-current-Canadian-Charities-approved-for/...) and it also arose in the Listing Optimization webinar (https://www.gotostage.com/channel/01b9e2c441374319a80014237a315f17/recording/282324f4bfe54e07a5fb52b...) that I did earlier this week. 

I'm looking for clarification on how ebay for Charity works for Canadians selling on ebay.ca and for non-profits registered in Canada. The Help sections (http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/nonprofit.html#viewing) lead to ebay.com after the initial landing page. https://givingworks.ebay.com/charity-information/

So, my questions are this:

Can Canadian sellers and Canadian non-profits register for this program and use it? What differences exist between the ebay.com version and the ebay.ca version? Do Canadians share the full experience of the program that an American counterpart may or do we have an abbreviated version in some way? 

I decided to post the question here as opposed to just ask privately in the event other sellers and non-profits would also like to learn the answer to the question(s) that I am posing.

@happy_pigeon and tyler@ebay, can you please enlighten us? 

Thanks,

Mo

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

tyler@ebay
Community Member

@momcqueen wrote (truncated):

Can Canadian sellers and Canadian non-profits register for this program and use it?

What differences exist between the ebay.com version and the ebay.ca version?

Do Canadians share the full experience of the program that an American counterpart may or do we have an abbreviated version in some way? 

Hi @momcqueen! In the interest of being frank, I don't have a lot of Canada-specific info on the eBay for Charity front. In going through my resources I have been able to find that:

At this time, sellers on eBay.ca and eBay.de cannot donate a percentage of their item's final sale price to one of the certified nonprofits. Only nonprofits and their representatives may sell items on the site with 100% of the proceeds benefiting the nonprofit.

Which would mean that you wouldn't be able to donate on behalf of a charity. Though if there's a nonprofit that you feel strongly about I think you could probably consider an in-kind donation of inventory and they could then sell it themselves as a registered nonprofit (better to check with a tax expert on the finer points of that though).

As to any other differences, and how eBay.ca shakes out compared to eBay.com I'm left without much to go on. I've run a flag up and hope to hear back today or next week and get some more specifics to share.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@momcqueen

Thanks for your interest in eBay for Charity! We revamped the Canadian side of the program a little while ago, and I made this landing page that explains things a little.

I'm not hugely knowledgeable about the US version, but the Canadian version is definitely abbreviated. I think the only capability we have at the moment (we're still working through other aspects of the program) is for a charity to register with us and designate a specific seller to sell on their behalf, benefiting the charity. In the US I believe you can designate a portion of all/some (?) of your sales to the charity of your choice, selecting from a list.

Of course, that doesn't stop you from personally setting aside a portion of your sales to donate to charity, and stating as such in your listing, if you'd like to slight_smile There's some information on charity listings that don't use eBay for Charity on our Fundraising policy page.

I hope that helps a little!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Happy Pigeon with the graceful swoop-in, thank you!!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you both for the clarification. Unfortunately, it’s not what I had hoped to hear. I’m 98.5 per cent certain this non-profit does not want to start selling even if I were to volunteer to do that; I was hoping really that I could donate a portion of the proceeds of each sale.

That being said, I’ll take it to their board as an idea. The non-profit May find themselves in possession of such a gift-in-kind where resale would be more valuable than usage so I’ll plant that thought.

Thanks again.

p.s. It would be great if Canadian sellers could donate a portion of each of their sales to charity. Manitoba in particular has a high rate of philanthropy per capita based on the relative income of its citizens.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I agreed with you .I was looking for this while ago  but now i see that its very complicated and must be for charity 😞

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Hi there

Can Canadian charities still register as a charity and get the discounted rates for fees? I can't find any information about this. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 8 of 8
latest reply