Update on way to require payment method and auto pay for auctions and offers?

byto253
Community Member

I read in another forum that ebay is going to bring in a system for auctions and offers that will require buyers to have a payment method on file that will be charged when they win  an auction or an offer is accepted. 

Has anyone heard anything about this?  IMHO it would be a welcome modernization and lead to a revival of auctions and offers.   Not to mention weeding out the time wasters. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

It's being tested in the USA.

One of the biggest problems with Auctions is that many winning bidders have forgotten that they bid by the time the auction ends. They may have lost interest or they may have bought elsewhere.

I can see the good points but also some drawbacks.

Full disclosure. I really don't like auctions.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the info on the testing.  Looking forward to it coming in.

I don't have a problem with auction non-payers but don't do a lot of them.  I have given up best offers, to much garbage and flakey offers.

Some buyers for both wait the 4 days to elapse before paying, which is nuts.  

I would love to have auctions paid when hammer closes.  I can plan shipment days really well knowing that when the auction ends I can just ship.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

Thanks for the info on the testing.  Looking forward to it coming in.

I don't have a problem with auction non-payers but don't do a lot of them.  I have given up best offers, to much garbage and flakey offers.

Some buyers for both wait the 4 days to elapse before paying, which is nuts.  

I would love to have auctions paid when hammer closes.  I can plan shipment days really well knowing that when the auction ends I can just ship.  

@byto253 

From personal experience, every time you turn on or off a setting you risk, at some point conflicting with another setting you may have also turned on in the distant past. Why I am always leery to attempt/tinker/test. It's getting to the point where most of the new feature are already doing that(under cover of night).

One of the drawbacks with automatic payments required (to my mind) is it makes a difficult for buyers to pay for multiple purchases at the same time for easy simple combined payments with revised shipping (if required).  As it is it is already difficult because of other factors in place for buyers to request a revised invoice and/or sellers to send one. Having to refund at nauseum should not be the go to workaround but it is.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

I read in another forum that ebay is going to bring in a system for auctions and offers that will require buyers to have a payment method on file that will be charged when they win  an auction or an offer is accepted. 

Has anyone heard anything about this?  IMHO it would be a welcome modernization and lead to a revival of auctions and offers.   Not to mention weeding out the time wasters. 

So far NOTHING has been mentioned about this applying to Auctions, the eBay chatter has been restricted to offers from buyers.

While it might lead to a revival it could also be a turn off for some. The testing has now been going on for almost a year, the chatter has gone quiet and while I expected an update in the recent  Seller Update the fact it wasn't included leads me to believe this may never happen or at least not anytime soon (predicting eBay's moves can be difficult so don't hold your breath but don't be surprised if it actually happens).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Not sure it will be this good. I mean if someone do not wanna pay, most of time its because they do not want the item anymore. I feel like its just gonna move the problem to somewhere else, we'll just have more cancelation requests, returns, false item not as described case, INR, etc

People wont accept to get billed for something they dont want anymore they'll find their ways to get refunded, and if some use false INAD and INR to do it, it will cost to sellers

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

An issue I've heard is the buyer is having the amount of their best offer held, and then they're charged when the offer is accepted. It can take a week or so for the hold to be released. It's no big deal if it's a $10 item, but if it's a $500 I will seriously rethink the purchase.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

On Best Offer:

We can set our parameters to be a penny apart.
Offer 9.99 accepted Offer 9.98 refused.

With an automatic acceptance enabled, the buyer can then pay immediately , whether they have a method of payment reported or not. 
I often find that I have a sale where I saw nothing until the buyer found the acceptable price and paid.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply