Using Letter Mail for Small Jewellery / Other Item

Is it ok to use letter mail service to be send from Canada to USA for a small jewellery /other item where the envelope is really thin?
Someone told me that i can not use this service unless there are papers inside, else anyother item shipping to USA, needs to declare and fill custom form, and small packet air-mail non tracking mail option should be used.
I was at post office and this lady sent one of my thin parcel with a small necklace inside for $3 stamp, she did not ask me nothing, what do i expect now? Will the item get delivered or will be return to me?
Looking for some help here
Thanks
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Within Canada, you can send non-paper items via oversized lettermail. The only caveat is that the item is not supposed to exceed 2 CMs in thickness or 500 grams in weight. That limits what you can send to very small items. 

Canada to the USA, you are supposed to only send papers. For items that are not papers, you are supposed to use a parcel service. The most popular of which is Small Packet Air. This costs about 8 dollars. It is possible that the person at the counter did not know about this rule, or didn't care to enforce it and upsell you, or couldn't tell what was in your package. 

Just based on the complexity of sorting mail, I'd assume your package will be successfully delivered. I would not worry too much about one non-paper package sent by accident via lettermail. If you sent a huge batch, I'd imagine it might increase the chances of the items not passing through customs. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

It'll most likely arrive to your buyer just fine... if your letter doesn't have a lot of weird lumps and what not that screams NOT PAPER  out loud. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply