Variation Photo as Main Photo Showing on Listings

Hi all,

I have noticed recently, maybe over the last couple of weeks, that one of the variation photos on all of my listings with multiple variations is showing instead of the main photo. For example, if I have a listing with three colours of a product, one colour will show in the search results below the item title, instead of the thumbnail image. The issue is, I make the main photo contain all of the important information, for example, showing all the colour options. The issue appears to affect all listings I have come across, not just mine. Has anyone else noticed this? Any help would be appreciated. I do not think this will benefit my sales.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

It has been like that for at least 1 year, it has also been mentioned on the chats, it is just another eBay...

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. I guess I just noticed it. That is sort of annoying. If they think it will increase sales, why not give sellers the option. All sellers want to maximize their sales, I would think. This is just typical eBay though, you are right. Not surprised...
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Thanks very much for linking those; I will give them a read. I never think to check the .COM forums.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

So, this seems like it is a glitch, but it's unclear. I would like this fixed, if possible, as it will effect my sales negatively. I did not notice this a year ago, or even two weeks ago, so I'm not sure what that is about. If anyone has any knowledge as to if I can report this, if it is indeed a glitch, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@supersavingsstore tyler@ebay 

Most recent post about this issue from dot com:

mcdougle4248

Re: Please Check Your Variation Listings In Search
in reply to 06-18-2020 07:29:29 AM

General Reply & Update

I asked about this during the Weekly Chat and received this reply from eBay staff,

"no update to share at this time beyond confirmation that our tech teams are aware of the issue and are investigating currently".

-Lotz

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Yup, I thought I was going crazy.  Noticed it about one week ago.  95% of my listings have variations and sales have really dropped since this started.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@kays_place 

Issues/problems that can directly affect a sellers ability to to sell or cause problems for buyers to buy should have highest priority to get fixed, promptly!!! Sadly this is NOT happening.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for this. Crazy now no one from eBay has formally addressed this. Since I noticed this on my listings, my sales have dropped off like a cliff. I always have lots of key info and eye catching stuff in the thumbnails, which I spend a LOT of time making for each listing. This is truly ridiculous.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply