Weird system glitch concerning delivery status - second time in a week

last Friday I got notification on an item I bought from the UK that it had been delivered when it hadnt, posties hadnt even been here by the time I got the notice.  The seller had sent it with tracking and upon further investigation he was able to determine that the ebay tracking information was wrong.  Royal mail tracking indicated it had not been delivered at all, but was still in transit.  It showed up two days later and was all good.

Fast forward to today: i was informed by a customer in QC that he had gotten notice of delivery on a lettermail item (no tracking number).  He was quite understandably very confused, not just because it was a lettermail item showing up as tracked, but more importantly because he hadnt gotten his item either.  I told him my story and shared that the likely cause was glitching in the internal IT infrastructure and to just be patient and trust like in my circumstance that it will show up.  

Dunno if there's anyone else out there who have had this happen but I cringe in thinking of the ways a situation like this can go sideways for the seller when items are reported delivered and they havent been.  Its an invitation for an INR claim, and for the less honourable folks out there, another opportunity for a freebie at our expense.  

FYI.  

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Weird system glitch concerning delivery status - second time in a week

@darak10 wrote:

last Friday I got notification on an item I bought from the UK that it had been delivered when it hadnt, posties hadnt even been here by the time I got the notice.  The seller had sent it with tracking and upon further investigation he was able to determine that the ebay tracking information was wrong.  Royal mail tracking indicated it had not been delivered at all, but was still in transit.  It showed up two days later and was all good.

Fast forward to today: i was informed by a customer in QC that he had gotten notice of delivery on a lettermail item (no tracking number).  He was quite understandably very confused, not just because it was a lettermail item showing up as tracked, but more importantly because he hadnt gotten his item either.  I told him my story and shared that the likely cause was glitching in the internal IT infrastructure and to just be patient and trust like in my circumstance that it will show up.  

Dunno if there's anyone else out there who have had this happen but I cringe in thinking of the ways a situation like this can go sideways for the seller when items are reported delivered and they havent been.  Its an invitation for an INR claim, and for the less honourable folks out there, another opportunity for a freebie at our expense.  

FYI.  

Recent message from a buyer that their delivery showed a card had been left in their mail box at 7:56(checked..wasnt there) whatever time zone  and the package was at their local postal depot 3 hours later. Probably much after the depot had closed. Customer will confirm after they check with their depot.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 2
latest reply