What happened to Canada Post's light packet option?

Hi all,

I read the CP and ebay information regarding the end of small packet surface mail, as well as the end of the included insurance in small packet airmail shipments.

However, lately whenever I pop over to the CP website to get an estimate for shipping, even if the package size and weight is within the light packet restrictions, light packet is not shown as an option. What gives? I though they were just getting rid of small packet surface.

I have been able to choose light packet as a shipping option through PayPal, but is that about to go the way of all things as well?  When items are light and inexpensive I always prefer using the light packet option because it is quite a bit less expensive than small packet so it is more attractive to buyers.

Any information anyone has would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Heather

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

qottie
Community Member

All,

PayPal released a fix to the shipping labels flow was earlier this afternoon, and we think that the service should be back to normal.

Specifically, when eBay sellers choose "Print Shipping Label" on My eBay, and enter the label printing flow on PayPal:

• sellers should no longer be asked to register or connect their Canada Post account before printing a label
  • "eBay-negotiated" Canada Post rates and services (including Light Packet for US / International destinations) should be showing up again as options for label printing

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you are still having issues with printing labels.  We will continue to work with PayPal to resolve any outstanding issues that arise.  Thanks for your patience as we worked with PayPal to resolve the issues.

View solution in original post

Message 55 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

I just used light packet about three days ago. I had a current postal guide, but, I tossed it and can't find it now. Ya got me beat.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 68
latest reply

I used Light Packet yesterday.

Message 3 of 68
latest reply

I inputed dimensions that should bring up light packet, on-line, and it didn't. Could it be PO "only" so folks don't cheat at home and drop them off in a mailbox? No, that makes no sense as oversize will not fit through the machines.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 68
latest reply

Yes, Light Packet disappeared from the Find-a-rate on the Canada Post website on Jan 14. I thought it would be fixed by now.

The options still exists but do not show on Find-a-rate.  The Find-A-rate also shows the International price as well as the USA price for Tracked Packet when searching for USA options. The higher priced version of Tracked packet should not be appearing.

Canada Post bungled this years changes in so many ways. Extremely incompetent handling and implementation of the changes. Wrong prices in the documents to the public in Dec 2012. Web site errors in Find-a-Rate on Jan 14.  Poor training and confusion at the post office outlets.

Message 5 of 68
latest reply

canada to canada 1.34

Message 6 of 68
latest reply

Under Business / USA / Light Packet shows under Small Packet

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/Default-e.asp

Message 7 of 68
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

It supposed to have been "exclusive with paypal or postal outlets" since it started.  Made me nervous seeing it disappear, everyone I've ever sent has just been stamped and dropped in a mail box.  Granted being that it still works to stamp them as lettepost and drop them in a mailbox and 2cm slot items can be 5 cm, I suppose I shouldnt worry canada post will ever be able to enforce their own rules

Message 8 of 68
latest reply

only catch is there is no insurance and claims...letterpost ya know...

Message 9 of 68
latest reply

I suggest to get a POSTAL RATES booklet of 2013 when you visit your postal out let next time. Light packets' rates are shown there. So you can find these prices for now (before the site is fixed)

Message 10 of 68
latest reply

The prices are wrong for light packet. Should be 2.65, 5.53, and 8.89 if memory serves me. As far as I know, no corrected pamphlet is out yet.

Message 11 of 68
latest reply

2013 light packet info can be found at the following link...pages 24 and 38

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/CPprices-e.pdf

Message 12 of 68
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

The zipperheads at Canada Post couldn't get their act together in January and put out conflicting pricing information for Light Packets to USA. Dutchman is correct when he says that the Postal Prices January 2013 pamphlet shows incorrect prices for LPs to USA. The prices he quotes are 100% correct.

CP has advised me that revised Postal Prices pamphlets will be issued in April. Seems that this job is too big and complicated to be carried out any sooner.

Why the LP option is missing from CP's Find-a-Rate calculator I have no idea. I (and probably others) pointed this omission out to CP in mid-January. Seems they haven't been able to figure out how to fix the problem.

The spurious high-priced Tracked Packet USA entry in the calculator - mentioned by Poco in post #4 - has been eliminated. Way to go, Canada Post!! "Canada's most trusted institution".

Tom   

Message 13 of 68
latest reply

scorps007
Community Member

Instead of a new thread thought I would continue on this as my issue is pretty much the same.

In my case the light packet option is there for anywhere but Canada, annoying as this is I have to take the item to a postal office to ship... and miss any additional discount via PayPal.

Anyone have any solutions or other work around?

Message 14 of 68
latest reply

If I am not mistaken there never has been light packet in Canada it;s just lettermail ..

Message 15 of 68
latest reply

Sorry Canada to Canada no light pakcet is what I meant  to write

Message 16 of 68
latest reply

LOOKS LIKE THEY JUST INCREASE IT TO $6.84 FROM $5.70 TODAY..GREAT JOB CANADA POST ..EVEN YOUR POST MASTERS COULD TELL ME THIS WAS COMING..SOME ITEMS i MAKE $1 NOW i LOOSE..REALLY HARD TO KEEP BUSINESS GOING WHEN EVERY YEAR UP GO THE RATES AND I GOTTA SPEND THE NEXT FEW MONTHS CHANGING 2700 ITEMS POSTAGE RATE..IF IT AIN'T EBAY, PAYPAL OR CANADA POST SCREWING US OVER..PMO

Message 17 of 68
latest reply

NECROTHREAD ALERT (2017 post to a 2013 thread)

@the-dart-guy wrote:

... I GOTTA SPEND THE NEXT FEW MONTHS CHANGING 2700 ITEMS POSTAGE RATE..

Use calculated shipping if you are listing on eBay.CA -- light packet is one of the options, and price changes will automatically be updated in your listings.

Message 18 of 68
latest reply

DH went to both our postal outlet today and to Canada Post.  Neither one had any literature on the new postal rates and they could not tell him what the Light & Small Packet rates were.  I had already placed stamps on my packages using the old rates and told DH just to drop them in the mailbox.  CP doesn't even let their own employees know the new rates, let alone their customers.

Message 19 of 68
latest reply

@the-dart-guy wrote:

I GOTTA SPEND THE NEXT FEW MONTHS CHANGING 2700 ITEMS POSTAGE RATE..IF IT AIN'T EBAY, PAYPAL OR CANADA POST SCREWING US OVER..PMO

Use the bulk-editor.  Changing the shipping price (and the description, if needed) takes about 30-45 minutes.

I just did yesterday. You can choose 500 items at once and work with them. 

Message 20 of 68
latest reply