What shipping option to choose when Selling shoes internationally from Canada to USA

dazh95
Community Member

I want to list a pair of shoes on ebay canada and I want to be able to ship to the states. There are a few option and I am not sure what to choose. Whats the difference between the Canada Post (Expedited Parcel, small packets, tracked packet) options and the UPS options (standard, expedited, international Economy). Which would be the best choice for me? Thanks.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

What shipping option to choose when Selling shoes internationally from Canada to USA

For $300 shoes, Canada Post Expedited USA.

It has tracking, and you can buy extra insurance to cover the value.

Sign up for Canada Post's Solution for Small Business membership if you don't already have it. It is free and gives some discounts.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page

-..-

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Canada Post Tracked Packet USA is your best option; don't ignore Small Packet USA if the weight is less than 1kg.

FYI and not a well known fact; The tracking number on the small packet USA option work!!! if you cut & paste the tracking number in your ebay sold item you could verify the where about of the item after a few days. Small packet USA option is less expensive than Tracked Packet USA and work as well.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@patphotog wrote:

Canada Post Tracked Packet USA is your best option; don't ignore Small Packet USA if the weight is less than 1kg.

FYI and not a well known fact; The tracking number on the small packet USA option work!!! if you cut & paste the tracking number in your ebay sold item you could verify the where about of the item after a few days. Small packet USA option is less expensive than Tracked Packet USA and work as well.

The weight limit on Tracked Packet USA and Small Packet USA was raised to 2kg (Jan/2019).  Tracked Packet USA insurance is a maximum of $100. Small Packet USA has no insurance. The OP has $300 shoes.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Can anyone else verify this? My Small Packet numbers do not show up in tracking at all.
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@travis7s wrote:
Can anyone else verify this? My Small Packet numbers do not show up in tracking at all.

They have not shown up on the Canada Post side for 4 or 5 years.

I have never checked the USPS website to see what do with Small Packet USA.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for the info. Never knew that.
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

For Small Packet USA;

add the tracking number, located under the barcode of the newly created shipping label; manually in your sold listing.

Do not check the tracking with Canada Post nor USPS...it does not work.

After you have drop your parcel to Canada Post wait about 2 to 3 days...time for your parcel to reach US depot.

Now check the tracking number under your sold item...nowhere else but under your sold item... "view tracking".

You will be gladly surprise...Small Packet USA is tracked in the US.

It does not work for Small Packet International.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

not many knows...some " gurus and know it all" in the seller community will deny the fact that it works. You have the choice to listen to them or to give it a shot. Just follow the simple steps provided. You will save on shipping and you will have a working tracking number attached to your sold listing.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Ok, I have done some tests and it does work but I am not yet sure it does 100% of the time.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@patphotog wrote:
not many knows...some " gurus and know it all" in the seller community will deny the fact that it works. You have the choice to listen to them or to give it a shot. Just follow the simple steps provided. You will save on shipping and you will have a working tracking number attached to your sold listing.

It gives you a delivery scan as well?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Small Packet USA Air is cheap and efficient but it is NOT TRACKED.

Given the value of your items and the relatively high rate of fraud in your category, use Tracked Packet USA.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I just saw that on a Small Packet I recently sent to the US that on *eBay* (and eBay only), it does show as delivered. So it does work, but as you, I'm not sure it is working 100% of the time.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Yes it gives you a delivery scan and eBay automatically changes its status to delivered. Here is a screenshot showing part of it. You can see that I didn't even add the tracking until after the buyer gave me positive feedback. The real unknown is how long it takes to for the tracking to show in eBay because it is not instantly.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Ok, I will definitely be uploading all Small Packet numbers immediately from now on.

I had a buyer open a not received case this morning, I realized it was Small Packet so I added the number. It took about 7 hours for eBay to update and they sent me an automatic email saying the item has been delivered and the case will default in my favour. Upon review, the tracking shows it was actually delivered to the buyer's front door on Aug 5.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Interesting...thanks.

The one thing I would worry about is that if it is not always scanned, then the buyer would be suspicious that it wasn't mailed. 

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

It's similar to when a seller mails something letter. No proof until it actually arrives. But when they do scan consider it a bonus. Your average buyer will not pay 20.00 for shipping a 10.00 item.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Yes it does upload a delivered scan. I am glad some of you I've tried it and not only listen to the "shipping gurus" in this forum. It all about saving a few bucks, protecting yourself from scammer and provided a working tracking number to your customer.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply