What to do if you ship to a buyer by CanadaPost and it appears USPS has lost it?

About a month ago I shipped a small package to the US via Canada Post Small Packet. It got to USPS 4 weeks ago and tracking says presented to customs. Tracking has not changed and buyer has not received. It is covered (value less than $100). Anyone have experience like this. Do I call Canada Post to file a claim for the value and they sort out with USPS?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

What to do if you ship to a buyer by CanadaPost and it appears USPS has lost it?

byto253
Community Member

Your shipper is Canada Post, so yes, file the claim through them.   Then sacrifice a chicken to the insurance deity 🙂

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks. Actually I sent it Tracked Packet, so it is tracked and covered up to $100 (not small packet). I am imaging it stuck behind something at the USPS or customs facility!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

To be clear, if the customer has complained, refund the customer FIRST.

Insurance covers you and is not the buyer's problem. 

You can ask politely that the buyer cooperate with USPS if they have any questions. This also has a tiny effect on the small number of buyers who did receive their parcel and are fishing. They don't want to draw the attention of the USPS postal inspectors who have a fearsome reputation.

If the customer has not complained, don't poke the bear.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Just as a note, have you only checked Canada Post's updates? In my experience they are terribly behind for stuff going to the USA.

I always check the USPS updates, they are often better and more up to date, but not always.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

A few years back I had a package I thought was lost to the US also. It showed partial tracking then just stayed stuck in the same place for a few weeks. My buyer had asked me about it and agreed to wait a little longer but still no movement with tracking so I refunded him. I opened a ticket with Canada Post who then sends updates as they investigate with USPS.

Interestingly (or coincidence) a couple of days later my package showed as moving, once ticket is opened you get updates sent and next thing you know it showed as delivered. I messaged my buyer and told him they said it had been delivered and he said yes and that he got my address from the package I sent and had mailed me the money! And yes, I got it safely in the mail, US dollars lol. Not all buyers would do this and not ideal/safe way to be paid by any means but it worked out for me anyways. 

As others have said don't refund if he hasn't asked yet and do open the ticket with Canada Post.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Has the Buyer contacted you about this item not arriving?

Yes / NO?

Yes, refund the Buyer and file an insurance claim, It is solved

No, why are you picking at the scab?!

People and tracking, it's ridiculous...

I rarely look at the tracking when shipping, so why not?

I rarely have an issue...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yes buyer asked for a refund which I gave. Canada Post would not honour the claim as they say it was in customs and outside the postal system (for 6 weeks!). Then it arrived after 2 months. Buyer offered to pay me back, but I let it go!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply