When is ebay going to start protecting sellers again?

Once again, another terrible experience with a seller and ebay does nothing. When are we going to be able to leave negatives for buyers again? I have had numerous non-payers, bad buyers, etc. etc. There is literally no way to warn any other ebay sellers about problem buyers!

How does that help the community?

Having a non-payment strike does no good when I cant see it.

I have an anchor store and over 9,000 listings and someone with very little feedback can just claim anything and we cant do a thing.

I'm tired of the hassle and beyond frustrated!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Don't you have your Seller Preferences set to automatically Block bidders with Strikes for non-payment?

If you have, it is possible the Block is working as it should, and you never see those Blocked bids.

If you don't, enable that option now.

It may be worth noting that  there seem to be more Unpaid Items in the dying Auction format, down to 15% of transactions with most of those including a Buy It Now option.

Buyers have shown a definite preference for Fixed Price purchases and it is possible that one reason for having a lot of UIDs is that your customers think they are buying rather than buying.

You can also add Immediate Payment Requred to Fixed Price listings. Those listings will stay visible and active until someone actually forks over the cash.

BTW, this: Please note shipping with a tracking number is required for all wins (combined or separate) over $45.00.

is not allowed on eBay.

We cannot exceed the cost of shipping we post, although we can upgrade at our own cost.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@zelascomics wrote:

Once again, another terrible experience with a seller and ebay does nothing. When are we going to be able to leave negatives for buyers again? I have had numerous non-payers, bad buyers, etc. etc. There is literally no way to warn any other ebay sellers about problem buyers!

How does that help the community?

Having a non-payment strike does no good when I cant see it.

I have an anchor store and over 9,000 listings and someone with very little feedback can just claim anything and we cant do a thing.

I'm tired of the hassle and beyond frustrated!

Warn your competition? Why would you do that? How would giving a neg to a buyer warn anyone, the overwhelming majority of eBay listings are Fixed Price, sellers don't know they have a buyer until they make a sale.

In any event, back in the day when sellers could give buyers negative feedback there were just as many if not more non-payers and problem buyers. Also back then there were plenty of sellers who used feedback for nothing more than retaliation against any buyer that would dare complain about a transaction including those where the seller was 100% at fault.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Why do your listings contain pictures of items that are not included in the listing ? 

You should only be including pictures of the actual item for sale.  

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Yes, that is true but negatives for non-payment would warn me as I would see that there were non-payment issues,  you can cancel an order. Or if someone made an offer. What about that? It would be nice to know if they actually pay.  So your point is moot and can be conunter argued. I prefer not to have people not pay but if you enjoy them, fill your boots.

Competition, that's not what I said. I don't even consider other sellers as competition. I look to HELP other sellers with this type of feedback. Go back and re-read what I wrote. Feedback is supposed to be a way of communicating a buyer or sellers worthiness, not just only positves.

What I am saying is that if I had someone not pay me, we should be able to leave a negative so that others can be warned to potentially stay away or be warned. I would appreciate knowing but I guess you wouldn't, so Fair enough.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for your input. I didn't know that we can automatically block bidders. Much appreciated.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Warn your competition? Why would you do that? How would giving a neg to a buyer warn anyone, the overwhelming majority of eBay listings are Fixed Price, sellers don't know they have a buyer until they make a sale.

Another perspective from someone who is open to offers: There was one instance where a seller left negative remarks about a particular buyer who made offers to me in the past. Once I read that, I finally blocked them.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Sellers have to learn how to protect themselves.

A seller has to learn what not to do... and then if a problem does occur the seller must follow a protocol  that can be used to address the problem.

There are many ways to block a buyer....  I use the blocked bidder list.

There are also other ways to block a buyer.... people that do not pay.....  if they buy

Never hesitate to report a buyer.... too many reports and the buyer is removed from eBay...

If a potential buyer asks a question  check to see the feedback they left for sellers

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Yes, individual sellers can implement safeguards to protect themselves, but what the OP is advocating is some way of alerting the community at large. There is one particular person I can think of who has a history of filing false INR claims. I know this because at least five other sellers had issues with this person within a one-to-two month period. After my experience with them, I've actually warned multiple sellers about this person by contacting them directly, and everyone has come back to me to say that the buyer did eventually claim they didn't receive their item. So for them, this is an established pattern that seems to go unpunished.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

The basic reason negs for buyers don't work is that eBay is not an Auction site anymore.

Most sellers only learn who their customers are when he buys.

At which point, negatives would be too late.

• Over 85% of transactions are Fixed Price.
  • Most Auctions include a Buy It Now option. 
  • Auctions are often sniped by last nano-second buyers.

And in none of those situations can the seller Block the buyer.

And contrariwise, Negative Feedback can be read by future potential customers.

And there is nothing like seeing a retailer have a temper tantrum to make a buyer backbutton and find someone more professional.

I was surprised that an experienced eBayer like the OP did not know there has been a Blocked Bidder option for decades.

I suspect that using it will end most of his problems with deadbeats.

And moving from Auctions to Fixed Price, but that's another tactic for another day.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply