Why do Buyer requested cancels cost Sellers money?

I'm back to vent (after months away), to hopefully get eBay to think about another one of their awesome "features".

Today a Buyer purchased an item, paid, and then 15 seconds later requested a cancellation. 'It would not arrive soon enough'. Problem #1: How is this timing in any way acceptable?

Knowing all about finicky buyers, I processed the cancellation immediately (the cancel itself took much longer than I thought it would).

I checked the payments page and I am out 32 cents. Uh, eBay, where is my missing 32 cents? That's an hourly rate of C$19.20!

Problem #2: Whenever there is a cancel, your process should be to automatically make it net zero in cases like this.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@wecango88  For Buyers that do that, add them to your blocked buyer list.

https://www.ebay.ca/bmgt/BuyerBlock?

tyler@ebay 

For buyer cancellations, ebay promised to have a full fee refund in place for March.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2022-winter/business.html

Was that delayed?

Or is it a case of fee charged, then credited back?

-;-

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

In your exact circumstances eBay will start refunding the Fixed Fee ($0.30 + GST/HST) as of May 1st.

The circumstances are when  the buyer clicks the cancel button at their end which can only happen in the first hour. The fee will not be refunded for other cancellations.

FYI - PayPal never refunded the Fixed Fee

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@wecango88  For Buyers that do that, add them to your blocked buyer list.

https://www.ebay.ca/bmgt/BuyerBlock?

tyler@ebay 

For buyer cancellations, ebay promised to have a full fee refund in place for March.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2022-winter/business.html

Was that delayed?

Or is it a case of fee charged, then credited back?

-;-

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

According to posts on the .com board, the .30 should be credited but it isn't done at the same time as when the other fees are credited.

Did the buyer do a cancellation request or just send you a message? Ebay had said that the .30 would be refunded only if the buyer did an official cancellation request in the first 60 minutes after the purchase. But apparently some sellers have been credited for cancellations that were sent by message.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@recped wrote:

In your exact circumstances eBay will start refunding the Fixed Fee ($0.30 + GST/HST) as of May 1st.

------

I think that the May date was for when they were going to credit fvf for partial refunds.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@recped wrote:

------

I think that the May date was for when they were going to credit fvf for partial refunds.

Whoops! Yeah the 30 cent thing started in March and as you say reports are that the 30 cents gets refunded separately for some reason.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

When you buy something from a brick and mortar store and return it, it also costs that store "money" (manpower to process your refund, restock/relabel the item, or for certain items it'd need to be returned to the manufacturer/producer, the credit card flat rate fee if you paid by credit card etc). It's part of the cost of doing business. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for all the updates everyone.

Just to update and close this, my 32 cent refund went through April 14, on the 8th day after the cancelation.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply