Why sell in US$ ?

The item is located in Toronto (221690307100)

The seller - former mayor of Toronto -  requires pick-up only (will not ship)

The item is a original 1990 map of the port lands of Toronto

Why would such item be listed on eBay.com (USA) instead of eBay.ca (Canada)?

Why would this item be listed in US$ instead of Cdn$ considering pick-up in Toronto is the only option?

Greed?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Why sell in US$ ?

I'd like to see some proof that the map belongs to the seller (or his consignor) and not to the City of Toronto.

But I am a cynical and suspicious old biddy.

I'm also suspicious about the claim that the map is unique. Scarce possibly, but not necessarily unique.

Buffalo is only a few hours drive from Toronto.

More Canadians shop on eBay dot COM than on eBay dot CA.

Most eBay sellers list in US dollars. It's a pain to switch back for a single item. (But making a grand sound like 'only' $830 is sketchy).

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Why sell in US$ ?

Haaa!  What will he (and/or his family) think of next!

My guess is that he may have a relative or friend (or possibly an estate attorney??) in the U.S. doing the listing on his behalf, but knowing that the item is in Toronto and has to be picked up there.  Just a wild guess, who knows?  

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Why sell in US$ ?

He is well known in the U.S (but not in a really good way) so it is possible that someone would travel from the states to pick it up. But the way he has it listed doesn't specify pick up only so unless someone reads the description, that could cause a problem.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Why sell in US$ ?

It's listed for sale with 1cent S&H to Canada and the U.S. I don't know what he will do if it's purchased and a buyer wants him to ship it. I don't think it will matter what he has put in his description, he will have to ship it, won't he?
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Why sell in US$ ?

He can't be forced to ship it of course but it could cause problems if he doesn't.

I have never used local pickup so if a listing is done on .com and the item location is Canada I wonder if local pickup can be used and if so, will the listing show on both sites? Or if the listing was done on .ca as local pickup could it been seen in the U.S.?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Why sell in US$ ?

"Or if the listing was done on .ca as local pickup could it been seen in the U.S.?"

Yes if he shows pick up for Canadians and shipping to the USA,

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Why sell in US$ ?

@pierrelebel wrote:

Why would this item be listed in US$ instead of Cdn$ considering pick-up in Toronto is the only option?

Greed?

Seriously, it's "greed" to list in US Dollars? Are all Canadian sellers who list in US Dollars "greedy"? It's an auction listing that started at $50, bidders set the final price.

The only thing about that listing that indicates any type of greed is that 10% to liposarcoma research, 10% ain't much and more important it's in violation of the Charity listing rules.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Why sell in US$ ?

@pierrelebel wrote:

Greed?

Where on earth does "Greed" come into this? Why would you even say that?

Having spoken to, and even met Mayor Ford on several occasions, I can honestly say, that despite all of his personal problems, he does not strike me as a greedy man nor is he in need of money. Dunno what the motivation to sell this stuff is but some of it is going to charity anyway.

When I first saw this in the news I checked the listing and it said in plain English "The .01 Shipping Fee is for listing purposes only and the item must be picked up" Don't know why it was done that way either but that is what it said, at least paraphrasing anyway if not exact.

Even with all of his issues, time will show that had he just gotten a little co-operation from some of the councillors that really should have had their constituents best interests at heart instead of their own selfish motivations, he would have gone on to overcome his demons and would have been a great mayor. I think the final chapter of the story is yet to be written. Now we are stuck with John Tory, spineless elitist. That is not going to turn out well.

I'll be interested to see what else Mayor Ford is selling. You never know, there could be something really cool.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Why sell in US$ ?

Come to think of it, doesn't this auction contravene the rules about Charity listings?

Sellers who want to donate all or part of the price received have to register with eBay and have the listing and the charity approved, don't they?

I'm actually willing to believe that Mr. Ford will give the money to the charity mentioned, he is a multi-millionaire after all.

But once again, he makes up his own rules never mind how easy it would be to do it the right way.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Why sell in US$ ?

Great find, Pierre. Or maybe it was advertised. Anyway, my guess is either the person listing believed the little note in ebay where it says iitems listed in US sell better or just didn't know better. Cheapness or call it frugalness, coming into play more than greed with Ford using free help with no shipping knowledge or capability to do the listings. Or, maybe the US$ decision was taken for a whole pile of stuff and a lot of it is actually shipping to the US.

I also feel a pang of guilt when Canadians buy our stuff in US$ - often when it's a larger amount I write them if the item isn't paid right away and ask if they would like to pay in C$. A few do take us up on it but not many seem to bother.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Why sell in US$ ?

"doesn't this auction contravene the rules about Charity listings?"

This is one of the questions I asked the seller early yesterday, after providing him with the link to eBay's policy of the subject.

No reply has been received yet.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Why sell in US$ ?

Well he has another listing for a Grey Cup mug and it is in Canadian dollars, so... i'm thinking whoever is putting these up are

fairly new to ebay. Could be a staff member and posting it on the fly.

Personally it doesn't make a difference is it is US$ or CA$, if it sells for $800 US then the buyer will shell out $1000 CA when

they shake hands. It's all the same.

But thank you Pierre for the great find! It's now in my 'watch' list. I love following odd or different ebay auctions and this one is unique!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply