Will I get penalised for using a different shipping method?

Hi everyone,
I recently sold an item on eBay and had listed Xpresspost as the shipping method for international order. However, when I tried creating the shipping label, I realised that the value of the item was too high to get it insured with Canada post and I really want to make sure it’s insured before shipping it. I wrote to my buyer to ask if it was okay with them if I used ups instead (the item would also be delivered quicker with them) at no extra cost to them, but haven’t heard back. Will I get in trouble with eBay if my buyer makes a claim and I didn’t use the shipping method that I offered in the listing?
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Couriers such as UPS have higher brokerage fees than most postal systems so it will end up costing your buyer more.  If's possible that they will refuse to pay those extra charges when they receive the item and you will likely have to pay for it to be returned.  

However, if you use an express UPS service, the most or all of the extra brokerage fees are included In the original shipping cost. But I would still not send the package using another carrier without the buyers approval.  

Are these the $3700 shoes?   Which country are they going to?   I honestly would not recommend selling an item of that value worldwide, it could be quite risky.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Yeah it’s the shoes. They're going to Spain. I had listed them worldwide and then changed my mind and thought I had edited the listing, but apparently didn’t.
I’m not 100% confident it’s not fraud, but the buyer paid right away so I’m kinda stuck sending them…
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You may be able to get shipping insurance through a third party insurance company and still send them using Canada Post.  There are a few different ones that you can google but one that I know of is  Shipsurance . Check to see if they will insure for a higher amount to Spain.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply