Will I have bad feedback if I force someone to pay after buying?

I want to know how as a seller I can ensure to have a good feedback if I forced buyer to pay for the item?

The reason I force the buyer is because after a week he wrote that he expected free shipping within Canada (which is not I have no idea how can people offer free shipping as I always pay a minimum of 17$can, and that is minimum, to ship within Canada.

So the buyer wanted to cancel stating he expected free shipping. However the shipping cost is not like a hidden cost, it was clearly indicated, so I forced him to pay for it as there were other bidders and I don't want to list again since I was satisfied with the final price.

So my question is how can I ensure to have a good feedback? I feel like buyers have all the power here, they bid over other serious buyer and then if they want to cancel without good reason, of course they can't but then they will be able to leave me a bad feedback for something that is their fault?

I feel like it's legit to force them to pay in such case but then I feel it unfair that he will likely leave me a bad feedback, so my question is then what can I do if he ends up leaving a bad feedback even though I did nothing wrong (it is the seller responsibility to check shipping cost)

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Will I have bad feedback if I force someone to pay after buying?

No.  Feedback is totally optional, I say, dont sweat it.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

To add to it, I just wanted to mention that in some case unless I'm wrong I feel like we have 2 options as seller which end badly for us:
1-) For buyer to pay and get a negative feedback
2-) Relist item and go over the process all over again
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

If it was an auction, just cancel and offer to the second highest bidder.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

thanks, however I'm not comfortable with that has it happened 1 week ago and other bidder may not want to take it anymore as they can have buy it elsewhere...

I get the answer, however my case is really if I refuse a cancel is there a way to ensure good feedback?
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

No.  Feedback is totally optional, I say, dont sweat it.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I see... well that quite sucks though hope I won't get a bad feedback as IMO this is buyer's responsibility to check those things.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

If it’s that much of a concern to you just cancel and block the buyer.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

"Forcing" a buyer to follow through with a transaction is never a good idea.  On so many levels. I strongly suggest you cancel it, using the "buyer requested cancellation" as the reason.   Add this person to your blocked bidders list and move on to other things more worth your time. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

So the buyer wanted to cancel stating he expected free shipping.

How did you force him?

Did you send your buddies Moose and Big Fred around to his house in their colours? With baseball bats?

Or did you open an Unpaid Item Dispute?

You made the choice to sell to a customer who didn't want to buy (at the advertised price).  That choice included accepting whatever feedback the customer decides to leave.

I would worry less about the feedback than the upcoming Not As Described dispute, the cost of the Return Shipping label, and receiving something that is definitely not as described because: hammers exist.

When a buyer asks for a cancellation, accept it.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I have to agree, it's best to cancel a sale if the buyer asks you to and you haven't shipped yet.   Otherwise it can cause more problems than having to relist the item.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Feedback is the least of your worries.

If you insist, the buyer may pay and then as soon as they get it find a reason to return it to you (at your cost).

If it goes that way they will also be able to leave whatever feedback they want and it WILL stick.

Cancel, move on, anything else and you may have regrets.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply