Would it be in bad taste to call the police on a buyer for not returning items?

Short V: 

Sold an item, they claimed it wasn't as described, I spoke to eBay and they issued sellers protection with the assurance that they'd handle it all pls remove the -refund hold. Filed it as a false claim as well. 

Then got a message from eBay saying they awarded the case to the buyer and issues a full refund. So much for sellers protection [ultimately eBay never sent an email so they issued a manual refund of what was taken from account - win] 

I tried to purchase a label via eBay however, the time period elapsed as the cases closed. 

I have messaged the buyer a few times with no response. 

eBay told me today that they don't get involved after a point but, will document - flag buyer, do a review and possibly take actions. 

Still no response from buyer. 

Sent a final message to buyer  today stating that they have till [date] to respond and/or share the tracking code or I will escalate this by reporting the items stolen.  

Now, keep in mind I have the individuals phone number and could just call them come that time. I'd rather keep it all on the platform. 

What would you suggest?

Is this too far?

It's a $750 order  [*11x leather books] 

[ I mentioned that I'd be doing this a few times with eBay support and they mentioned they're indifferent as they can only do much. ] 

Open to any feedback, suggestions and alternative ideas.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Did you send the pkg with signature required? You don't state your method of shipping or if you used signature confirmation which is required by eBay for items of $750 or more. Please provide more details.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

@vintagenorth they claimed it wasn't as described...

...not, not received!

What other details do you need?!

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

phc64
Community Member

Police will not do anything as they will consider it a civil matter.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

@vintagenorth they claimed it wasn't as described...

...not, not received!

What other details do you need?!

Sorry, missed that bit of info.
So, what advice do you have for the OP?

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Was this sent domestically, overseas, or to the USA?

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

The police won't do nothing. You can get a police report number which you can use as part of your insurance claim. Ask to have the report forwarded to his local police department.

And if the buyer's local police get a lot of Reports about him, they may start a more serious investigation.

Was the refund taken from your account or was it a "courtesy refund" from eBay's pocket? If the latter, you have been made whole and should drop it even though it hurts.

Have you been talking to a phone rep?
They don't work for eBay.

These social media accounts are covered by trained eBay employees. And the Chat is given to you as a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Alaister Crowley? Hmm. Well you know what the moral compass of the buyer is likely to be, eh?

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@thebookcompany22 "Sold an item, they claimed it wasn't as described"

1  - Were the Books you shipped actually, not as described?

2 - Did you reply to the Buyer's "Not as described" request, directly?

Before contacting eBay?

or

Did you jump the gun and call eBay before replying to the Buyer?

3 - Did the Buyer escalate the claim and ask eBay to step in?

I think we the audience are missing a few details on this case, you did state this was the short v.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I've yet to receive the item shipped back, yes. 

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

That's kinda what I figure - le sigh. 

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Domestically. 

Sold 130+ items, no issues - 5stars .. now this. Just want items returned. 

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

eBay took the refund from my account however, I talked to eBay so they refunded me for an error on their end. So I did get paid -- technically.. I'd just like our books returned.  Been talking to mostly phone reps and occasionally chat. 

The phone supervisor said they'll be doing an investigation and could possibly suspend their account. 

eBay said they may also deduct the $730 from the buyers account .. I just don't  care for the non respons to coordinate items returned

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Haha-- well, Aleister did reportedly steal a bunch of books out of the lodge library before siding with the one guy blah blah blah. You may be onto something @reallynicestamps  😜

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@brettjet38 

The books were well described and had lots of pictures. 

When I got the alert about the refund request re: "not as described" I immediately called eBay and they issued me sellers protection with the assurance they'd handle it all. Including not issuing a refund.  eBay even said not to contact the buyer and their team would call the buyer etc. 

Later, I got an email from eBay saying I never responded to an email asking for additional information. 

I appealed the decision as I never got an email. 

The appeal group sided with the original decision to refund buyer on the basis that I never responded to an email by eBay. 

I appealed that decision and escalated the conversation to a eBay phone manager who looked into the system and saw I never was sent an email. eBay considered the case closed however, they issued a manual refund as they dun goofed. 

Flagged the request as a false claim. 

I reached out to buyer to coordinate shipping -- no answer. 

I reached out again -- no answer. 

I spoke to eBay and they said they won't get involved as the case is closed. They said if buyer doesn't deliver that they would flag the account and possibly take back the refund they issued to buyer. 

Messaged buyer again saying they have a set time period to contact or I'll consider the items stolen. 

Made this post on forum for community input. 

I get it's probably going to fall as a civil case and police won't do much. If I did call them it would be asking them to call the guy and be a mediator/courtesy call. 

I'll probably just follow back with eBay and highlight how items are still not received so that they can slap the buyer. 

Otherwise, like I've mentioned, eBay did reimburse me and I got paid for the screw up. 

Of the 130+ items sold -- never had an issue. 

Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions

-J 🧙‍♂️

***Edit: how come eBay forums automatically add that symbol when I sign off?? I never use that symbol and is this just an automatically applied thing? Does it happen to you? I can't even delete it when I edit the forum post. Weird. 

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

What I learned from this is .. next time I get a refund request is I'll flag it with eBay however, get items shipped back (issue a label) then after a close inspection of the item offer a partial refund. 

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

And remember that the phone people work for a subcontractor and NOT for eBay.

The social media Chats are covered by actual trained employees.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@vintagenorth 

Regular shipping with tracking code.  

They received the item just flagged it as not as described and haven't communicated with me to deliver it back. 

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Did not know that -- thanks for the tip. 

Ultimately the reps at the end were saying I was given bad information .. 

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@thebookcompany22 "When I got the alert about the refund request re: "not as described" I immediately called eBay and they issued me sellers protection with the assurance they'd handle it all. Including not issuing a refund.  eBay even said not to contact the buyer and their team would call the buyer etc."

This was the catalyst for what happened, you actually should have replied to the "Item not as Described" request by responding to the Buyer. This would have forced the Buyer to communicate their "issues" and to get them documented in writing then you contact eBay via "Social Media" as recommended by @reallynicestamps in needed.

When dealing with any Buyer it is always better to get them to describe in writing the "issue" in many cases what they write shows their "intent". Many people write with their "emotions" on their sleeves, without thinking.

A bit like the posters who "rant" on here, then never come back to their OP. But, instead, start a new post and rant again...

I am glad you got your money back due to the incorrect/lack of info that was given to you by eBay reps. 

As for the Buyer and the actual books, what is their FB left for others like?

As for the books you may have lost those, unfortunately.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply