Wow, seriously not happy with Ebay right now

I recently returned to Ebay after a few years.  I used to sell on here and loved it.  I opened my store a few days ago.  Since then, my business policies have disappeared twice and now I notice that 4 pictures of items are gone.  What is going on????  This is only the beginning, I fear, because I'm not even mentioning the small annoying things that have been happening.  Judging by the complaints I see on these boards, there are a good many of you that are also annoyed.  I am trying to remain calm but it's really beginning to get to me.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

You do now that you cannot leave negative FB, as a seller, right?

Photobucket
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

No, I didn't know that......thank you for telling me.  

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Bet you didn't pay fees to eBay on you your shipping charges, back then?

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Nope, I certainly did not.  Tomorrow I need to adjust a few things on the listings I have up after I check this forum out more thoroughly for things I wasn't aware of...... I'm all for change but at my age it takes me longer to adjust to them especially when they aren't positive changes.   

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Just a suggestion, but you may want to go into your account preferences and exclude the countries that you would rather not ship to. Simply putting the shipping info in your add will not keep people worldwide from bidding. Unless this is the way you want to go. My two cents.
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Me thinks perhaps ye jumped back into the deep end too soon after not swimming in the waters for quite sometime Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

You'll find a few things are better or cheaper.

More free pictures.

Lots of free auctions, and many free listing promotions.

When you reach Top Rated Seller status you get a discount on all your fees.

Many of the fees you pay are lower. FVF on sales dropped when fees on shipping came in.

If you offer Free Shipping* domestically, you won't pay any shipping FVF on your international shipping no matter how high they are.

*Don't panic! Free Shipping just means that the cost of shipping is included in the asking price. You are not subsidizing your buyer.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

All of you are wonderful for offering your suggestions.  Yes, I think I dove in without checking the waters beforehand but I'm a fast learner.  Wishing you all a good week of happy buying & selling!

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Welcome back to the wonderful world of selling on eBay!

Yes, things have changed.  eBay is now meant to be more "buyer friendly".

Taking a look at one of your listings, I would strongly suggest you remove:

"Non-payment will result in a negative feedback & a non-payment notice will be filed with Ebay"

This is definitely not "buyer friendly".

Also, instead of "Payment must be made within 3 days of purchase" you could use a more friendly "Payment within four days would be appreciated"

When it comes to the shipping service and shipping charge, try to be as accurate as possible.  A dvd (or sewing pattern) can be shipped domestically as "lettermail" for less than $3.  To show "Canada Post Regular Parcel" is not accurate and $4.50 is excessive and not competitive.

Also, unless you have a very good reason to take so long in shipping a paid purchase, I would change the "handling time" to one day (instead of three).  I would also change the return policy to allow return within 30 days (instead of fourteen)  Both changes will somehow improve your position in search results.

I would definitely delete "I am not responsible for late deliveries due to Canada Post errors".  Whether you like it or not, sellers, not buyers,  are always responsible for items lost, delayed or damaged in the mail.

Finally, I am not sure it is wise for you to spend $20 extra every month to have an eBay store, unless you plan to have a much larger number of listings.

Good Luck.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Hi Pierre, as I mentioned in my post above, I am going to check my listings and adjust some of them, just won't have time until this evening.  I have ALOT of listings to put up which is why I chose a store.  

I think the 14 days to return something is plenty sufficient.  30 days is excessive as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not a doormat and I don't want buyers to get that impression either.

As for lettermail, I didn't see that option in the choices for shipping.  Which is why I chose flat rate.  Can you please instruct me as to where I can choose that option?  

I do believe I will change my handling time to 1 day, however.  I always ship out the next day so I may as well choose that.

Thanks.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Pierre, when are you closing your store?  My brother is a stamp collector.  

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Pierre "retired" over a year ago. Yeah, sure.

14 days? Paypal says at least 45, more like 60, moving to 180. I made mine 45 days to be customer friendly. It works. It can take 14 days, and more to just get to the customer.

It does not cost you anything and will more likely attract more customers.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

14 days from receipt of item, not from purchase.  Sorry that was vague, wasn't it?   

I guess I should relax, offer the most to the customer that I can and hope for the best. 

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

I was curious, I sell car parts, why a high % of the buyers were women. It was explained to me that women control the money in most relationships.

It was further explained to me that one of the first things women look at is the "friendliness" of the return policy. The following is my policy:

Refund: Money back
Photobucket
Message 15 of 26
latest reply

Excellent observation!  

However, I think a return policy should be tailored to what a person is selling.  I have several patterns to sell.  Patterns are never returnable in a brick & mortar store.  Not sure if books are either.  I will not be allowing returns for patterns or books or magazines, that much I know.  

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

As Mr. E. mentioned, since Paypal is going to be allowing a 180-day return window (yes, that's 6 months, you'll find things have changed here!), you might as well pick a reasonably generous return time to show in your listings.  I would choose 30 days, even 45.  

Look at it this way: showing 14 days may seem a little strict to some buyers and might reduce your chances of selling.  Showing 30, 45 or 60 is comforting to buyers and will likely make little if any difference to you in practical terms, since returns should be very rare if you do your job well in listing in the first place.  

I agree that a 1-day handling/dispatch time is now pretty much mandatory if you want to compete and attain a top seller status.  I know, I know -- 3 days used to seem completely reasonable, but not anymore! 

Do definitely peruse the boards with respect to countries (or regions) you might want to exclude in your shipping preferences -- there are a number of recognized "problem spots" in the world, and by excluding those you'll avoid unnecessary problems with INR (Item Not Received) claims. 

Lastly, I'd suggest reading through the last 3 or 4 Seller Updates very carefully.  The defect system in particular is a complicated minefield and it takes a lot of care to avoid problems.  The whole returns process is next on the horizon, and I anticipate that "Hassle Free Returns" will soon apply to us Canadian sellers as well, so it means being extra-vigilant in your photos, item specifics, and description.  Remember that eBay is telling us a huge percentage of its buyers now shop via mobile, so you need to shift away from thinking in terms of the old desktop PC parameters and try to appeal to mobile shoppers.  

There's a lot to catch up on, but best of luck! 

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

"when are you closing your store? "

"Soon" ! Smiley Happy

At this time, I expect to close on October 9th or so. 

It may re-open sometimes next year.  It very much depends on our potential relocation.  We have been looking for several months and have yet to find "the one".  We visit "open houses" every weekend (two are scheduled for this afternoon) and arrange the odd week day visit with realtors for new listings possibly offering what we are looking for.

In the  meantime, I will start packing next week whatever remains of my stamp inventory.  Some of it will be sold and shipped to other dealers, some will be sold at public philatelic auctions and some I may keep for marketing on eBay at a later date to keep myself busy.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

This has been interesting, and a little disconcerting. I havn't been selling long At all..just getting used to the whole ebay sale thing, but now I think I have to start going over the policies etc. maybe back to square one. ...sigh

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@craftee_shadow wrote:

Excellent observation!  

However, I think a return policy should be tailored to what a person is selling.  I have several patterns to sell.  Patterns are never returnable in a brick & mortar store.  Not sure if books are either.  I will not be allowing returns for patterns or books or magazines, that much I know.  

Say anything you want and Paypal will over-rule you every single time. Odds are, very little will happen, if at all. However, as Rose alludes to, it is the potential sales that may be discouraged. Why lose sales to have a barrier up that may never be used?

Photobucket
Message 20 of 26
latest reply