Yay for me

Sold nothing in September. Just great.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Yay for me

In case you don't know....your 'grab bag' auctions are considered chance listings and are not allowed.

Just a suggestion...Most people have absolutely no idea how much it costs to ship a package so when you start an auction at .99 cents with $15 shipping some may think that you are trying to scam them by charging too much for shipping. If I were you, I would start the item at a higher price and the shipping at a lower price.

I would also put more description on the Christmas card titles including that they are handmade.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

Not true. You are allowed to list grab bags. I followed all the rules. Also, when I listed the Christmas Cards I put that they were handmade. Do you think I am an idiot? GEEZ.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-bonus-prize-giveaway-raffle.html

"

Grab bags are listings where identified items are sold in a group (in a bag). You can list grab bags as long as you follow these rules:

• Identify all contents of the grab bag in the listing. The number, quality, or condition of these items doesn't need to be identified.

• The listing doesn't single out anything that "may" be contained in the grab bag that has particular monetary or obvious collectible value. For example, grab bag listings for collectible comic books can't allude to the possibility that a specific rare, high value comic book "may" be included in the grab bag. This type of listing is considered a lottery, which is not allowed on eBay.

• All contents of the grab bag need to follow our prohibited and restricted items policies."

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

@spendmoneyhere2014 wrote:

Not true. You are allowed to list grab bags. I followed all the rules. Also, when I listed the Christmas Cards I put that they were handmade. Do you think I am an idiot? GEEZ.

"

Grab bags are listings where identified items are sold in a group (in a bag). You can list grab bags as long as you follow these rules:

• Identify all contents of the grab bag in the listing. The number, quality, or condition of these items doesn't need to be identified.

• The listing doesn't single out anything that "may" be contained in the grab bag that has particular monetary or obvious collectible value. For example, grab bag listings for collectible comic books can't allude to the possibility that a specific rare, high value comic book "may" be included in the grab bag. This type of listing is considered a lottery, which is not allowed on eBay.

• All contents of the grab bag need to follow our prohibited and restricted items policies."

So then, how are sales?

I set a budget o $500 for myself and did $1000.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

Unless you have multiple acct's I don't see that. Plus, does it make you feel better to **bleep** all over me because I said I didn't make any sales in September, that I followed eBay's policies and know how to list my items?

You sell car parts. On eBay. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

Yep, that is right, I "sell" them. I do not complain about not selling:

Payments (last 31 days)
Received
C $1,067.67
Not received
C $71.51

Total sales:
C $1,139.19
Photobucket
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

Mr. E., in all fairness to the OP, you sell items people need.  It's good that you've done well, but practical products are an easier sell than many other things that are sold on eBay.  Sooner or later most every car needs a part, and I imagine there are places in the world where you can't just go to the local car part dealer to get what you need. 

A lot of us sell discretionary, luxury, or frivolous items that people like, or want (even love), but don't need.  When money is tight, or there are other worries (such as cyber security), buyers are more careful about where they spend and how much.  You buy socks for your kids before you buy a pretty vintage purse for yourself. 

I know this because many of the item types that I currently list used to sell in a flash.  There was even what I would consider a "hot" market for them.  Not anymore.  Despite having more items than ever listed, I'm selling fewer per month, and generally at lower prices than previously (or with greatly "subsidized" shipping), in order to get the sales, any sales.  And I think I'm putting more effort and time into my listings and my store than ever before. 

The net result for all my effort has been meagre, ever since about May of this year.  Although I can't honestly say that I'm barely breaking even, still, selling on a regular, consistent basis is harder, and takes longer, at lower margins than previously.  I've given up on my previous monthly 'quotas' -- now I'm just happy to hang onto my TRS.  The $Cdn currency exchange (thank goodness) is a help at the moment.

Now, I have to add that the OP could do a few things to improve his/her listings, but I think a lot of us are finding ourselves in the same boat, with a much stronger current to row against.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

@spendmoneyhere2014 wrote:

"

No, I don't think that you are an idiot but I don't think that you read what I wrote.

I would also put more description on the Christmas card titles including that they are handmade.

Your title - Christmas Card Snowman

Searching for that title on .com brings up 1500+ listings

Searching for Christmas Card Snowman Handmade brings up 100+ listings

If I am looking for a handmade card it is unlikely that I would every find yours among the other 1500

I interpret the grab bag rules different than you do.

When I read the term identified items I think of being more specific than:

Books

Cards

PS3 Games

Blu-Ray Movies

Clothing

Novelties

When I look at the rules they say that the following is Not Allowed:

Mystery items (envelopes, boxes, etc). This includes listings where the seller doesn't specifically identify the contents, number, quality, or condition of the items for sale.

That seems to say the opposite of what is allowed with grab bags so perhaps your interpretation is closer to what ebay wants...I really don't know but this is the last time I will be commenting on this subject or on your listings. By your attitude it is obvious that you don't need or want any suggestions no matter how they polite they are.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

I would add to what 'pj' has said above by pointing out that, even though the type of "grab bag" listings you have might be considered eBay legal, I think such listings could be more susceptible to Item Not As Described claims.  That's the real downside and risk to a seller that I see to such listings, not whether they're completely "legal" or not.

Buyers' expectations on eBay are higher these days, and protections for them are more available.  You might want to divide up the contents of your "grab bags" and create 4 or 5 listings with, for example, just 2 or 3 items per listing that you can photograph and describe thoroughly.  Even better, list each item separately as far as you can. 

The other advantage to you, as a seller, in breaking up those "grab bags" into a number of individual listings is that you will be creating more listings to run at any one time, which can only help your overall exposure to buyers. 

Lastly, by listing small items separately, you may actually do better in terms of overall sales than by lumping them together in one listing, and smaller items will cost less to ship (or possibly even allow you to offer free shipping on each of them, thus boosting your chances of selling).

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

Rose, yes, I understand all of that, but, some people think that my money comes to me for free. It does not not. I spend hours researching what sells, where, why, for how much. There are thousands of parts I could "try" to sell and I would fail. Many more I could sell for a loss.

There are some twenty screws, five hidden, that have to come out to get a radio bezel from a 96-98 Civic. That requires lying under the dash looking up, maybe in the rain, maybe in -40C.

I spent years trudging in wrecking yards in all weather, from +40C down to -40C. The physical effort I put in would kill many people. Yesterday was decent, intermittent rain, damp, cool, mud and muck.

I get that a lot "Oh, well, you sell, car parts. That is easy, people need them."  Really? No they do not. I have to acquire and advertise, price, and compete. I defy the average person to rummage around in wrecked vehicles taking things apart, let alone walk into a wrecking yard.

So, when people complain? Try walking in my shoes. People who refuse to make maximum effort complain? As the lines in the song goes : "Before you accuse me, take a look at yourself".

Photobucket
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Try walking in my shoes. People who refuse to make maximum effort complain? As the lines in the song goes : "Before you accuse me, take a look at yourself".

Oh, Mr. E., I certainly wasn't accusing you of anything (except maybe of being successful, and being smart in choosing items that have a ready market).  Woman Happy  And no, I certainly wouldn't want to have to crawl around in the places you do in order to get the products you get to sell.

We who have been selling here for a while know all too well that it's no picnic sourcing, photographing, listing, packing, shipping, etc. etc. etc., anything.  And I think we all have different challenges when it comes to those areas. 

What I was pointing out was that on the sales end, there are some things people need, and others they'd just like (or want, or wish to have).  If the OP is trying to sell the latter, she is going to have to work harder on the selling end and expect it may take longer to sell (and at a lower price than previously). 

In other words, looking at what she has been listing and how she is listing it, and the limited number of listings at any one time, a blank September in her category(ies) isn't surprising.  

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

If you haven't had any sales, you need to look at what you're doing wrong, and fix it. You can't blame everyone and everything around you for your wrong doings, things will never get better that way. PJ and Mr. E were trying to give you good advice with things you may need to change so you can make more sales, isn't this the reason you posted here in the first place, or maybe you were just looking to rant. You're still new at ebay, and have much to learn. I can understand where Mr. E is coming from when it comes to car parts. I have sold many used car parts on ebay over the years, from small accessories to bench seats, windshields, hoods, trunks, doors, and it is the hardest thing I've ever had to sell. From removing the parts, listing all the many picky details about each part, packaging very carefully the sometimes awkward shape parts. I find the customers who buy car parts are very picky compared to selling other items. I have had more problems with customers who buy car parts than any other item I have sold, I have sold many things like dollhouse items, clothes, jewellery, dvd's, stamps, video games & consoles, cell phones, cars, and car parts. You also have to be very competitive with price in order to sell parts. It's not that easy to make sales, unless you have rare hard to find parts. The customers who purchase parts usually are impatient to receive the part because they need them in a hurry. The price of shipping heavier parts from Canada makes the profit margin a lot smaller. You definately work for your money when you sell car parts, no doubt!
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

Just out of curosity..why do you always seem to think everyone else but yourself doesn't put "maximum effort" into their business? Yes,we have all heard from you how hard you work (and how much money you make) and all your tidbits of knowledge from working at an LC but  there are more people out there who try very hard to succeed here then you give credit for.Not every seller sells car parts so dont base everyone on just your experience.One size does not fit all on ebay.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

@kashka wrote:

Just out of curosity..why do you always seem to think everyone else but yourself doesn't put "maximum effort" into their business? Yes,we have all heard from you how hard you work (and how much money you make) and all your tidbits of knowledge from working at an LC but  there are more people out there who try very hard to succeed here then you give credit for.Not every seller sells car parts so dont base everyone on just your experience.One size does not fit all on ebay.

Why does everyone think car parts is easy? I canNOT go into a store and pick them off a shelf. I canNOT go to a garage sale and pick them off a table. I canNOT order them from a catalogue. I canNOT have them drop shipped.

How often have you heard me complain about sales? Never. How often have you heard me complain about eBay? Never. How often have you heard me complain about customer? Never. How often have I accused externally? Never.

I have found, that the ones who try the hardest complain the least.

The ones who complain the most, try the least.

Why is it that the most successful sellers seem to never complain?

Photobucket
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

"I have found, that the ones who try the hardest complain the least.

The ones who complain the most, try the least."

Where have you found these sellers..the 6 or 7 regulars on Seller Central and/or the handful of regulars on the .com forum? I know many people who have never been on an ebay forum,have been successful selling here and complain alot about the new policies and some have even left for greener pastures(and doing better).Best not to lump all ebay sellers in your generalizations.

"Why is it that the most successful sellers seem to never complain?"

Again,what do you have to back up that statement?

I believe the latest rounds of policies do have impacts on many past successful sellers,such as defects and the new return policy,especially Paypals latest 180 day rental period for the buyer.Ebays insistent micro-managing of sellers businesses,while stating they are "just a venue" have chased many good sellers away..and with that,their buying of yours' and my stuff.

Like I said..I was just curious.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Yay for me

@elmwood / kashka wrote:

"I have found, that the ones who try the hardest complain the least.

The ones who complain the most, try the least."

And the ones who post here regularly have the most time to kill.

Some of their posts are like little essays.

Where have you found these sellers..the 6 or 7 regulars on Seller Central and/or the handful of regulars on the .com forum? 

These 6 or 7 regulars you speak of who spend half their waking hours here.......... ????

Like I said..I was just curious.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply