Your eBay business plans

How much  time do you spend planning how to make your business more successful and how much time do  you spend trying to avoid defects, charge backs, items not  received/not as described and worrying about your eBay seller standing?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Your eBay business plans

I'm not a natural worrier, so I try not to spend any unnecessary time fretting about what could go wrong, but rather planning on how to avoid problems as far as I possibly can.  

The real problem for me, time-wise, is that as eBay's policies, rules and procedures become more and more convoluted and complex, I'm spending a lot more time on trying to understand them and put them into practice, including time spent on these boards reading about or discussing problems others have run into.  I find that can be a help in preventing some issues before they occur, which is why I usually set aside about an hour each day to spend on the discussion boards (mainly Seller Central).  

However, when eBay launches new major policy updates, I find I spend hours of each day for several days trying to sort them out and make sense of how I need to incorporate them, and many more hours over several weeks actually applying necessary changes to my store listings -- in other words, a lot of wasted time.  It's no wonder I cringe when I see "Seller Update".  

As for business planning (i.e., the positive, useful time input), it used to be proportionately far more than it is now.  I certainly do still spend more time on that aspect (because I'm an author and producer of my own work) than on eBay policy-related issues, but I have to admit I resent being obliged to spend more and more of my time "adjusting" to every whim of eBay.  I used to be able to spend almost 100% of my time focused on developing my business.  Now I must set more and more time aside on a regular basis to cope with eBay's policy changes, simply in order to survive.  

I see in another thread that Mr. Elmwood mentioned somebody has hinted there are more major policy changes coming for us smaller sellers in spring 2015.  I really don't know how much more I can take....Woman Sad

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

Hi Gifts,

Maybe 5-7 hours per weeks... Since I have more experience with ebay, my time with ''defect'' and ''not receive'' is less than ever.

I narrow my int'l sale according to the type of item, i.e. all my smartphones and smartphone accessories are now only sale in Canada, USA and with my int'l clients (who I have sale history with). Items with less ''scam'' attraction, they are sale more int'l but I review buyer history before finalize the sale.

About ''worrying'' for my seller standing, hmmmm I really do not care a lot about it... That I think make me keep my smile when I ''business'' on eBay.

Other than that, I think what is important and to avoid any ''clitch'' is keep the communication with the buyer polite and positive.

Cheers everyone !

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

Hi Rose... Do we have any idea what will be those major policy changes ???

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

@gifts_of_elegance wrote:

How much  time do you spend planning how to make your business more successful and how much time do  you spend trying to avoid defects, charge backs, items not  received/not as described and worrying about your eBay seller standing?

THAT is one of the most relevant posts I've seen on this forum to date.

High eBay standing does not = a successful business.

Reading the posts here one gets the impression that sellers spend much more time on eBay policy than they do running a successful business.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

Agree Rose.

Working on a thirty day plan which will be completed ten days earlier than expected.

Been spending the last two weeks making bottom line adjustments with room for 20% off sales.

Trying to list forty auctions a week to stimulate more traffic which is down 60% from last year during the last four months.

Year was going really well until July when I hit  the proverbial wall.

This week I am down 70% from the same week last year.

Bottom Line, saturated category that no longer has room for mainstream items.

Influx of New Sellers, Constant Promos & the piece of the pie decreases even more.

Winding down what I have, not really buying & sourcing out alternate items that hopefully attract fresh eyes.

Not kvetching, people are still doing well, has to be my items.

Will have my answer at the end of the year, but I already know what the answer is.

We knew this year was going to be tough, but what an unexpected drop off.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

I come here and to the US discussion boards to see what is happening.

My most important activity is to list the inventory.

My second most activity is parcel up sales.

and then wonder why sales are so erratic.

I have a model for selling on eBay  and that is my guiding light.  and how to wake up Cassini...

------------------------------------------------

eBay is a constantly changing environment for selling..... 

Knowing what NOT to do is the most important part of what I do....  That is how my selling model became what is what it is today.....

and one last part of what I do... Small changes brought big advances in my business...

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

Agree Cumos.

Cannot rely on Last Week, Last Month, Last Year, they are in the past.

Concerned about tomorrow & the adjustments that have to be made to stimulate sales.

I have never blamed eBay for my sales tanking the last four months, my attitude is " What Am I Going To Do About It "

60% of Friendly Canadian Competitors are way down, but 40 % are still doing really well.

Now I'm just trying to follow their lead.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

This is a good post!

In my world:

-I have 5 main "branches" to my business, eBay is one of the branches

-my "business" planning is spent deciding what and how things go against the various branches along with acquiring material required for same

So over to eBay only:

-as with most of the branches I've devolved into the "management by exception" management model.

(when things happen that cause or have the potential to cause problems, I evaluate and take the steps I'm able to try to mitigate them)

-because I ship within 2 business days instead of one, I think my standing is naturally lower

-I am not sure what would happen if I cross the defect line

-I am taking steps to try to minimize risk of crossing the defect line, but only to a point

-I try experiments, am trying some promotional offers, wasted a couple hours trying to get that to work yesterday

-I spend a fair bit of time reading pertinent threads on this discussion board, which has helped me a lot to identify potential problems before they affect me, or give ideas how others are mitigating risk around them. Generally time on this board is time well spent.

I like cumos style, here are my priorities:

1) Deal with eBay open issues/cases customer complaints/concerns

2) Package and ship (usually M/W/F)

3) List stuff like there's no tomorrow

4) During 1,2,3 think about how to make it better, do it differently

5) Run experiments

How much time do I spend?

This is exactly the same problem when people ask me how much time I spend running the business overall. Because my job is in the basement, I am almost always "at work" and it blends with my normal life - ie I package lots, it is sunny so I cut the lawn, come in for a drink have a question from a buyer, answer that, go I go back to finish the lawn, after lawn come in, list 5 items, make supper.....and on and on. One time I tried to separate out the hours and it was 83 hours that week. I think it is probably worse now, it seems it is taking more work to make the same $$$ these days. I've only sort of jokingly told people my hours are 6-10 and after they say how nice it would be, I explain no, I mean 6 am to 10 pm.

So perhaps it is easier to describe it as a %. 

My guess is that overall I spend 10% of my time against business success planning for all 5 branches. Because of all the "stuff" going on in eBayland these days, and because it is one of the larger branches, it is the majority, I'd say 7% of the 10% total.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

Three  other considerations..

(1) the lower priced items pay the bills... The higher priced items make the profit.

(2) Always looking for new categories of books to sell.

such as ...

Bibles in languages other than English.....  

or ...  books about birds, mammals and other animals.....  Not just pretty pictures... it must have a fully qualified scientific basis...

and sometimes I just dive at something that looks good.... and then it sells... sometimes quickly  and sometimes it takes longer.

Then there are the duds.....  always find the duds.... that will never get listed on eBay....

There are many ways to find new categories of inventory...  the difficulty  is to find the right inventory for eBay..

(3) and finally how to function as a Canadian seller  and outwit the US sellers  that list on eBay Canada....  and sometimes outwit them on eBay.com!

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

There are many subtleties to selling on eBay..

and,.  finding involves observation,  and lots of research and understanding of how things happen on eBay.

Sometimes  it is an understanding of how Cassini works..... or how to play games  to win.....  where winning means a sale.

The subtleties  are for me to know....  and the day I tell everyone what they are  will be the last day I sell on eBay...

Do not how your breath... for I will be here many more years....hopefully.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

@rose-dee wrote:

I'm not a natural worrier, so I try not to spend any unnecessary time fretting about what could go wrong, but rather planning on how to avoid problems as far as I possibly can.  

The real problem for me, time-wise, is that as eBay's policies, rules and procedures become more and more convoluted and complex, I'm spending a lot more time on trying to understand them and put them into practice, including time spent on these boards reading about or discussing problems others have run into.  I find that can be a help in preventing some issues before they occur, which is why I usually set aside about an hour each day to spend on the discussion boards (mainly Seller Central).  

However, when eBay launches new major policy updates, I find I spend hours of each day for several days trying to sort them out and make sense of how I need to incorporate them, and many more hours over several weeks actually applying necessary changes to my store listings -- in other words, a lot of wasted time.  It's no wonder I cringe when I see "Seller Update".  

As for business planning (i.e., the positive, useful time input), it used to be proportionately far more than it is now.  I certainly do still spend more time on that aspect (because I'm an author and producer of my own work) than on eBay policy-related issues, but I have to admit I resent being obliged to spend more and more of my time "adjusting" to every whim of eBay.  I used to be able to spend almost 100% of my time focused on developing my business.  Now I must set more and more time aside on a regular basis to cope with eBay's policy changes, simply in order to survive.  

I see in another thread that Mr. Elmwood mentioned somebody has hinted there are more major policy changes coming for us smaller sellers in spring 2015.  I really don't know how much more I can take....Woman Sad

Canada Post will give you a changes warmup with new postage rates (hopefully no changes in services like Light Packet from 100 to 150 gram and a large rate hike for that new weight class) in Jan 2015. Always good for something different in recent years.

At least Canada Post only has one yearly major change unlike eBay with a Spring and Fall Update.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

Do not how your breath.

should read

Do not hold your breath

Spell check only works if the word is really spilled or is it spelled wrong..  and not a different word correctly spelled.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

Canada Post will give you a changes warmup with new postage rates (hopefully no changes in services like Light Packet from 100 to 150 gram and a large rate hike for that new weight class) in Jan 2015. Always good for something different in recent years.

At least Canada Post only has one yearly major change unlike eBay with a Spring and Fall Update.

Yes, I'm never as worried about Canada Post as about eBay's Seller Updates -- that's actually what I was referring to above.  Generally Canada Post yearly changes just mean higher costs, whereas eBay changes can seriously affect how we do business.  

However I'm not sure exactly what Mr. E. was alluding to in terms of details -- it seems this is still in the rumour stage.  I guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope it doesn't involve more restrictions and difficulties for smaller sellers. 

You know, in the end, I wouldn't even mind all those Seller Updates and layer upon layer of rules and policies if it actually translated into significant increases in sales.  I can only presume that someone must be benefiting financially from all these rules, or eBay is the stupidest corporation on record.  

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

I have got to the point now I don't worry about things on E-Bay and CP that I have no control over any way. They are going to change weather I want them to or not most times not in the sellers favour. I try to work with my Buyers as much as I can and be honest with them as well, ship fast and pack well and so far I have been very lucky with buyers on the most part, and I get the odd ding dong every once in a while. I have stopped shipping to all the usual problem areas but the biggest percentage of my sales go to the US and then OZ & Canada.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Your eBay business plans

I have been selling on E bay since 2000. In my earlier years I spent way to much time staring at my screen. Trying to make it better or worrying about  my sales, getting paid, getting a negative, or allowing a negative ruin my day.

Today I just don't care. I work smarter. My site pretty much runs it self. I try to do things the best I can, and as I like to say '' I will sell on E bay til I cant sell no more"

I just don't worry about defects, if they come they come or what Ebay implements. Its not in my control. All I can do is the best I can. That being said I will still stand up for myself if a buyer or E bay is in the wrong. Dont mind a fight.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply