best way to package LPs for shipping

I have a number of LPs I was going to try to sell on ebay.

What is the 'best' way to package them for shipping?

Someone who has done this said in a pizza box. Hopefully a clean one.

I have a few 'LP mailers' but they look pretty bendable.

Should I remove the disc and sit it on top of the cardboard sleeve then package?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

mcrlmn
Community Member

'Should I remove the disc and sit it on top of the cardboard sleeve then package?'

No, the sleeve provides the vinyl additional protection.

Pad the LP mailer with additional cardboard to firm and strengthen.

11.jpg

More info:

https://www.google.com/search?q=LP+mailers

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

'Should I remove the disc and sit it on top of the cardboard sleeve then package?'

11.jpg

More info:

The mailer pictured above is the proper container to use, Pizza boxes will do in a pinch but they are generally not the right size. Another problem with them is they are too thick for a single LP and require many cardboard "pads" which add to the weight and can increase the shipping cost dramatically (sheets of bubble wrap will help).

Records which are NOT sealed should absolutely be shipped with the disc outside the cover (in it's own inner sleeve of course), I use a "sandwich", layer of bubble wrap, disc, layer of bubble wrap, cover, layer of bubble wrap,  with the disc, one layer of bubble and the cover in a specific LP size poly bag.

If the record is sealed it's important to make a very tight sandwich so the disc cannot move around and create seam splits

If it's just a one-off you can make something using a box cutter and a large cardboard box that you can create squares of the right size. If you will be selling any type of quantity then buy purpose made corrugated LP mailers.

DO NOT ever use the European style LP "envelopes", they are made from "box board" (otherwise known as "mush board", they offer no protection whatsoever when shipped.

You can probably find mailers on eBay, I buy mine from uLine but that only works if you buy them in large quantities, anything less and they are too expensive unless you are local to a uLine warehouse and can pick-up, even then the minimum is probably 100 units.

Record buyers are demanding when it comes to packing, if you don't do it right you will have complaints (sometimes even when the package arrived undamaged!). I get a lot of buyer who send specific and lengthy instructions  because they have had so many problems in the past from eBay sellers who don't specialize in LP's (and even some that do).

You can find video on YouTube demonstrating the proper way to pack LP's.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Like I said...

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I had thought the better way was to put the vinyl outside the cardboard sleeve. That way it won't cause any tearing in the cardboard along the edges. I picked up a pile of those cardboard mailers at a thrift store. Thought they were flimsy but thanks to your posts now know how to strengthen them.

BTW recped, I've been reading your posts for years.  In case anyone has never said it, thank you to you, and the other experienced regular posters,

for providing the invaluable info you do by posting.  You are giving your time doing it, just wanted you to know it is **very much appreciated.

@recped wrote:

@mcrlmn wrote:

11.jpg

More info:

The mailer pictured above is the proper container to use, Pizza boxes will do in a pinch but they are generally not the right size. Another problem with them is they are too thick for a single LP and require many cardboard "pads" which add to the weight and can increase the shipping cost dramatically (sheets of bubble wrap will help).

Records which are NOT sealed should absolutely be shipped with the disc outside the cover (in it's own inner sleeve of course), I use a "sandwich", layer of bubble wrap, disc, layer of bubble wrap, cover, layer of bubble wrap,  with the disc, one layer of bubble and the cover in a specific LP size poly bag.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply