buy canadian promo

I got this from ebay on the 8th of September- has anyone seen anything on ebay's site addressing this?

The Canada Post uncertainty made it a tough summer for many sellers. But with that behind us, it’s time to start listing the great inventory buyers are looking for.

To highlight your great Canadian inventory, eBay will launch a “Buy Canadian” event on September 19th.

Message 1 of 99
latest reply
98 REPLIES 98

buy canadian promo

Message 2 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

I have to be honest in that this promotion has not really met my expectations. Like i said in the other thread, I expected there would be:

1. A component of some actual stimulus here to buy Canadian like a coupon or discount or something applied to Canadian-based sales. Ebay Bucks is still running in the USA (even after they discontinued it here) and they are continually offering special promos like to collect 10 per cent in Bucks back instead of the usual three or four per cent. So why nothing for us? Like, there is nothing ever for us.

2. The Canadian Deals revert back to default (aka Worldwide) as soon as you try to narrow your search on the Deals after you click those link to the promo page. If you click on the menu at the left to limit your offerings to one category, what you are shown stays located in Canada only but as soon as you try to filter that list of like 345,000 things via the terms at the top of bottom of the page, you get stuck with back to the default which is everywhere under the sun. So it's not really Buying Canadian after all. 

So how are you supposed to actually find anything located in Canada that you want to buy using this promo page?

Surely they don't expect buyers to browse half a million listings one page of 192 results at a time. I'd be 100 years old before I found what I wanted. So then I try to narrow the search to a category at the top or bottom that actually interests me, like in Toys says that's Hot Wheels and it goes back to showing me stuff from everywhere and is no longer a Canadian promo. 

I don't get it. 

The logo looks nice, though. Nice-looking maple leaves blowing in the wind. 

Message 3 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

yes when you click on the buy canada link, i see 729 canada items.. not anything i have listed, or probably anything else by any of us.. i will say it again, what a joke.

Message 4 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

It is disappointing to me. 

Message 5 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

@mjwl2006 wrote:
... So how are you supposed to actually find anything located in Canada that you want to buy using this promo page?

Surely they don't expect buyers to browse half a million listings one page of 192 results at a time. I'd be 100 years old before I found what I wanted. So then I try to narrow the search to a category at the top or bottom that actually interests me, like in Toys says that's Hot Wheels and it goes back to showing me stuff from everywhere and is no longer a Canadian promo.

Search (and advanced search) both leave me in Canada. Narrowing categories still leaves me in Canada. You must be doing something differently than I am.

Using Basic search:

"Hot Wheels" in All categories gives 6778 listings in 35 categories & subcategories.

Selecting Diecast & Toy Vehicles results in 5676 listings in 12 sub-sub categories.

Selecting Aircraft & Spacecraft results in 35 listings -- all still in Canada

Result: 35 in Canada versus 334 listings worldwide.

Tested: using Firefox on a desktop computer

Message 6 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

I must be doing something different then. 

I click on the Deals page.

I click on the Category at left. All still Canadian.

I click on this at the top and I am sent back to default (everywhere):

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 5.58.59 PM.png

Message 7 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

No longer filtered to Canada only, as you can see by the screenshot:

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 6.02.19 PM.png

Message 8 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Are you doing a text-based search in the bar at the top of the page? 

I'm using their additional categories (pre-selected filters) at the top and bottoms of the page. 

Message 9 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Ah, I see you are. That is the difference. Well, that's a little better.

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 6.05.16 PM.png

Message 10 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

@esclyons wrote:

yes when you click on the buy canada link, i see 729 canada items.. not anything i have listed, or probably anything else by any of us.. i will say it again, what a joke.

I searched on "silver half dollar" and your soon-to-expire 222225348679 was number 3 in the Coins: Canada section.

Message 11 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

when i click on the category's link.. coins are not even listed on it.

Message 12 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

mjwl2006 wrote:

I have to be honest in that this promotion has not really met my expectations. Like i said in the other thread, I expected there would be:

1. A component of some actual stimulus here to buy Canadian like a coupon or discount or something applied to Canadian-based sales. Ebay Bucks is still running in the USA (even after they discontinued it here) and they are continually offering special promos like to collect 10 per cent in Bucks back instead of the usual three or four per cent. So why nothing for us? Like, there is nothing ever for us.

2. The Canadian Deals revert back to default (aka Worldwide) as soon as you try to narrow your search on the Deals after you click those link to the promo page. If you click on the menu at the left to limit your offerings to one category, what you are shown stays located in Canada only but as soon as you try to filter that list of like 345,000 things via the terms at the top of bottom of the page, you get stuck with back to the default which is everywhere under the sun. So it's not really Buying Canadian after all. 

So how are you supposed to actually find anything located in Canada that you want to buy using this promo page?

I don't get it. 

The logo looks nice, though. Nice-looking maple leaves blowing in the wind. 

I think "blowing in the wind" describes much of what is offered to Canadians.  🙂 

Message 13 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Are you getting sidetracked by the "Canadian Deals" ?

I see 29 categories down the left hand side of the page.

I can click on Coins & Paper Money and it tells me there are over 180 000 listings in 12 sub categories (versus 2.3 million if you look worldwide).

Viewed with Firefox on a desktop computer.

Message 14 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Ah, I see you are. That is the difference. Well, that's a little better.

Yeah, I'm biased towards text when searching. In part, because one never know where sellers will put items. So I usually text search first, then narrow down the category.

-..-

Still this "Buy Canadian" could have "Avoid GSP" as a slogan... with probably better results...

Message 15 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

You know what? Me too. I always use text terms and never use categories to narrow down my search. Like ever. Until today. In this promo only. I guess that's a lesson. 

Message 16 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

I see the little banner now-not much of an incentive, I thought they would offer some sort of promotion or discount...can't say I would click on it if I was a buyer looking for merchandise...I would just type in the search bar as usual...and search results don't flag Canadian items...for instance when I go into a listing that is Canadian there should be something on the listing itself....does this really make a difference to any international/US buyers?  if it was a UK promotion I wouldn't be any more inclined to purchase something if there wasn't some sort of incentive like free shipping or a coupon

Message 17 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

eBay basically just pre-clicked the "Canada Only" button under "Item Location" and called it an 'event'.

Great job, eBay. Way to earn that money I pay you every month.

Message 18 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

@rainbow71113 wrote:

I see the little banner now-not much of an incentive, I thought they would offer some sort of promotion or discount...can't say I would click on it if I was a buyer looking for merchandise..

I didn't even know it was clickable until just now when I read this.  LOL!   Everywhere we go we see ads and billboards yelling Buy This! Buy That!   I think if most people even notice that thing at all they will only assume it is decoration.  Maybe I am wrong.  

Message 19 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

you have a point there, I didn't know you could click on it until I read this as well.  Not that clicking on it really matters.  I try to avoid 

all the adchoice etc that pop up so I don't click around on screens and I'm sure most people are the same.

Message 20 of 99
latest reply