buyer refunded loophole

So....I can't believe this just happened. Buyer has address on account as Major city not the actual suburb they are located in. Canada post delivers to the right address which is the suburb and buyer gers refunded because of it....
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

buyer refunded loophole

You left out 90% of the story............

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

Buyer has new york, NY as address , buy actual legal address is Brooklyn. Tracking confirmation says delivered to Brooklyn. Buyer wins appeal and gets refund because item was delivered to Brooklyn and not new york....
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

buyer gets refund because shows delivery to Brooklyn NY, and their address on their account is New York NY....
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

marnotom!
Community Member

How do you know the Brooklyn address that the item was delivered to is the same location as the NYC address you were given?

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

Brooklyn is inside New york city. But buyer obviously knows how it works and put new york city as address. Even though Google maps tells me their address is in Brooklyn.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

marnotom!
Community Member

How do you know the item ended up at the address the buyer provided?

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

The zip code is what matters, if eBay made a decision based on the city name and ignored the zip code then you have very strong grounds for an appeal.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

Ok i used USA as an example, its actually Canada post and does not show postal codes on delivery

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

marnotom!
Community Member

So, no clear evidence that the item actually reached the address that the buyer provided.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

I dont understand.

For example.

The buyer lives in Oak Bay,which is part of the Capital Regional District which includes Victoria BC.

But Oak Bay has its own government, police force, and fire department.

The address on eBay says Oak Bay.

The address that was delivered to was Victoria.

But same street address and same postal code.

Or

The buyer lives in Kanata which was once a separate city but is now part of Ottawa-Carleton and does not have a separate government.

The address on eBay says Kanata

The address that was delivered to says Ottawa.

And eBay accepted an Item Not Delivered dispute?

There's no need for vaguebooking. We can't name and shame other members but we can give information like this. We can also give transaction numbers.

Brooklyn is not part of NYC. It is a separate borough(city) with its own government.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The buyer lives in Oak Bay,which is part of the Capital Regional District which includes Victoria BC.

But Oak Bay has its own government, police force, and fire department.

The address on eBay says Oak Bay.

The address that was delivered to was Victoria.

Oak Bay doesn't not have its own post office or post office designation, however.

I used to have family that lived in Coldstream, just east of Vernon.  Since its incorporation, mail destined for a Coldstream destination (originally a whole bunch of Rural Route numbers until door-to-door delivery was established in many neighbourhoods) was addressed to Vernon.  At some point, Coldstream council voted to have Canada Post give it a post office designation, despite having no post office.  Oak Bay doesn't appear to have done anything similar.

In the case of the OP, the suburb in question may or may not have its own post office or PO designation.  I see that while Kanata may not have its own post office, Stittsville does.

@femmefan1946 wrote:

And eBay accepted an Item Not Delivered dispute?

Well, as you often say, the dispute process is helmed by bots.  If the city don't match and there isn't any postal code information to support it, the bot is obviously programmed to assume that a successful delivery to the recipient wasn't made.  And without that postal code information, we don't even know for sure that the delivery made it to the buyer's address.  Perhaps the buyer forgot that they had set things up in their My eBay with a so-called friend's address?

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

Your package was delivered by USPS, not CP. Look on the USPS website to see what the zip code says. If it matches the zip code on ebay, simply appeal. If it doesn't, it was misdelivered, and you file a claim with CP.
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

Part of the problem would be a zipcode or postal code is attached to multiple addresses. My home postal code is attached to 20 addresses. eg. Right postal code...wrong house/community mailbox slot.

In checking recent tracked shipments for both Canada and USA with CP & USPS they show basically the same tracking info for final delivery. Only difference can be when the info gets ported over to  the other system. 

• 11:36am
  • DELIVERED FRONT DOOR/PORCH
  • MASPETH, NY 11378

-Lotz

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

Your best bet is to call eBay's customer service. You have to understand that whoever you are talking to will be in a different country, and won't understand the distinction between Kanata and Ottawa, or Nepean and Ottawa. They may not understand that Kanata is Ottawa, and Nepean is Ottawa, etc. If you are able to successfully explain this to a CSR, they might rule you not at fault and refund you. 

You should also contact the customer, ask them what happened. Don't accuse them of scamming you, contact them with a tone that you are trying to assist them in locating the package.

Of course, if they are scamming you they aren't going to try to help you, but if they reply back and say that it was never delivered, delivered to the wrong house, etc. Tell them that you want to help them find their package and resolve the issue, so you plan on opening a ticket with Canada Post, because the tracking does show delivered.

Say something like "I plan on opening the ticket Wednesday morning (2 days from now), if possible I'd appreciate if you could check with your neighbors to see if the package was wrongly delivered to one of them. Hopefully a Canada Post investigation will help locate your package. If your package does turn up before Wednesday, please let me know so that we can arrange for you to re-pay for it, since eBay required me to refund your INR claim."

If they are a scammer, involving Canada Post might spook them enough to tell you it was "found with a neighbor" and they'll pay you back to prevent Canada Post from getting involved. If they aren't a scammer, maybe you'll find out with Canada Post what happened. I am not sure what Canada Post's exact protocol is for this sort of thing. You can use this link to submit a ticket with Canada Post: https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/receiving/tracking/how-to-find-a-tracked-it...

You should also report the buyer using the report buyer feature. If you report them, and they have done this before, it may eventually lead to eBay taking action against their account. Just be sure what you're saying is accurate when reporting a buyer. 

Keeping in mind, that all of this is going to take time to do. So if this is a very cheap item, you might just cut your losses. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

I've asked this on the dotCOM Boards and have not received a reply.

Does using the extended zipcode (90210-1234) make any difference for accurate delivery?
Like yours,my postal code covers my entire block, but in a highrise apartment, there could be several different postal codes.

Hmm-- let's ask an American.  tyler@ebay 

USPS made a mistake back in the '60s when they went for an entirely numberic code. I remember cursing Canada Post's descision to go alpha-numeric when we were still using typewriters and had to shift up and down and up and down to type the new codes. But as it turned out, A-N codes are much better at designating a fairly specific spot.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Does using the extended zipcode (90210-1234) make any difference for accurate delivery?
Like yours,my postal code covers my entire block, but in a highrise apartment, there could be several different postal codes.

USPS made a mistake back in the '60s when they went for an entirely numberic code. I remember cursing Canada Post's descision to go alpha-numeric when we were still using typewriters and had to shift up and down and up and down to type the new codes. But as it turned out, A-N codes are much better at designating a fairly specific spot.

Good question. Shippo has that problem with HS codes. No dash for data entry ######. Includes dash when it creates the label.  Include dash and you get a very non-specific error message when you attempt to print. Same question goes for format of postal codes. With or without a space? Some systems are fussy.

Another observation I have made over the last little while are customers including both a street address and a PO Box. For Canada the the postal code is attached to one or the other. Showing both causes a conflict. I've had orders where there was a notation on the tracking that the parcel was basically being held for questioning until CP corrected one way or the other. No idea what happens for this situation in the USA or Internationally.  More problems with addresses accidentally using 1's as L's and zeros written as O's.  The postal systems/eBay should catch these as errors(intuitive) but they don't always.

eBay Labels is "supposed to" have a address checker built in. Haven't tested for reliability.  Sticking with the motto...Newish account google check for possible errors. Many buyers are under the impression that postal carriers know suite numbers----->tenants automagically.

I've had shipments recently to Mexico/PR that included mile markers going to businesses. Mexico did arrive. Eventually. Was signed for by the attn to. PR is still in transit.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

@teenytrinkets wrote:

Your package was delivered by USPS, not CP. Look on the USPS website to see what the zip code says. If it matches the zip code on ebay, simply appeal. If it doesn't, it was misdelivered, and you file a claim with CP.

The OP said in message 9 that they were using US locations "as an example" and that this was a Canada Post delivery without postal codes in the tracking.  I don't know if they thought these boards were used mostly by Americans or if they just believed that using well-known locations would help clarify their point.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

buyer refunded loophole

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Hi @femmefan1946 - ZIP+4 is supposed to isolate carrier route as well as side of the street/apartment building, etc (sometimes a very large receiver or shipper will have their own unique +4, PO Boxes always have their own unique one as well). I'm not sure how that can continue to scale, since there's only so many permutations available when it's all numeric.  

Long story short, it won't make a massive difference in accuracy of delivery, but it may help the speed of processing. And with internet sales tax, including the full 9 digit ZIP is the best way to ensure the precise tax rate is charged (not related to delivery, just thought it was interesting). 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 19
latest reply